• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
It was fairly near the Canal, but I think I know the one you mean - one that closed a good few years ago now, perhaps? I've just Google StreetMapped it and the Brunswick is now called The Jet. Great for lock ins, pool table, darts board, juke box with Toto's "Africa" on it to be played on loop by the Kenyan member of our ensemble, rabbits in the garden, random man always at the bar who coughed, but never spoke. Bliss.
Ha, brilliant, I'll have to swing by sometime and see if it's changed much! That's twice in a week I've been hit with "Africa", having watched this the other day: Toto - Africa (Family Guy 1023 Internal Affairs) on Vimeo

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who was the member who played for North Otago?

Anyway, there's a cricket tragic in Oamaru who has set up the website for the North Otago Cricket Association. Very comprehensive, including this player page.

Player Pages - NOCA
Haha. Yeah, one of the guys on that page is on CricketWeb - I'll leave it over to him whether he wants to reveal it as I don't think he has on here.

That's a bloody comprehensive website the stats on there are top notch. Is the website designer Ozzy? ;)

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Who was the member who played for North Otago?

Anyway, there's a cricket tragic in Oamaru who has set up the website for the North Otago Cricket Association. Very comprehensive, including this player page.

Player Pages - NOCA
Well this guy's on Cricsim EDIT: removed with respect the above!

So I added him to my DB at the weekend :D

Now I look, with good justification-season on season improvement in his bowling performances.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
I might need a bit of an idiots-guide to getting these pooch.blob's to work: they just open on a blank window for me.

But yes, he's the guy. But actually it seems Cricinfo are wrong to have him down as Auckland, as he played for ND U18: The Home of CricketArchive

The Home of CricketArchive

Those stats very much paint a picture of a bowler, generally he batted 8-9 in those games.

He did this last season: The Home of CricketArchive

The Home of CricketArchive

Yet for the national team, he was batting top 6 and bowled less than Horne: Cricket Records | Records | Quadrangular Under-19 Series (Australia), 2012 - New Zealand Under-19s | Batting and bowling averages | ESPN Cricinfo
Yep he's ND. Was named Academy player of the year last season.

otagoman

School Boy/Girl Captain
Whatever happened to Greg Morgan? He was the third highly touted player (Well 4th with Corey Anderson) from the age group team that included Southee and Boult

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh yeah, good point! Haven't heard about him for a couple of years. Wasn't he the one who often fell over during his follow through?

Last edited:

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Whatever happened to Greg Morgan? He was the third highly touted player (Well 4th with Corey Anderson) from the age group team that included Southee and Boult

He's playing for Howick Pakuranga, although being overshadowed by Grobelaar just now:

Men's premier cricket: slogs and surprises | Auckland Sport | Surfing, Rugby, Soccer, Football, Cricket in Auckland

I see the name Blair Parlane in that report-any famous relatives?

A nice preview of the Auckland Premier season here: Article - Auckland Cricket

Morgan is mentioned as having had injuries but the article says "a fully fit Greg Morgan could also put himself into contention for Aces selection."

I can't find the link at the moment, but I have seen averages of his club performances and he was one of the better bowlers at that level.

I also spy a certain James Fuller turning out for Takapuna. He should more than adequately replace Brad Cachopa for them-decent hitter as well as a lively if inconsistent bowler.

Another thing of interest is that Ajaz Patel | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

-an Auckland A player who I was trying to get details on, has moved to Central Districts (is he Glenn Roeder to Jeet Raval's Paul Gascoigne?), so I expect he'll be involved at Club and possibly Provincial A level for them next season. I still need his bowling style and DOB if anybody out there knows them!

I've popped Gareth Shaw back into my DB seeing as he's skippering Papatoetoe. I'll keep Lance out seeing as he's taking a "year off".

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He's gone backwards since scoring 80 on FC debut and being a very dependable death option for the Aces in T20. Mixture of injury (back surgery a year or so ago) and some questionable decisions to which way he wanted to form his game. Has gone from a hard-hitting middle order batsman with slippery pace and an outswinger to a gun barrel straight bowler with slightly less pace and a much less dangerous batsman, albeit technically better. If he's ever going to get in the Auckland set-up again it'll be as a four-day batsman who bowls a bit.

Ajaz Patel is a slow left-arm orthodox, incidentally. Don't know DOB. Used to bowl left-arm swing and changed. Quite a decent T20/limited overs bowler.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Lou Vincent, Champions League - YouTube

Those stats very much paint a picture of a bowler, generally he batted 8-9 in those games.

Yet for the national team, he was batting top 6 and bowled less than Horne: Cricket Records | Records | Quadrangular Under-19 Series (Australia), 2012 - New Zealand Under-19s | Batting and bowling averages | ESPN Cricinfo
Found this just now when I was setting up an Ish Sodhi google alert for the season. 8-)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-time.../Duthie-Cup-on-the-line-as-one-day-play-opens

His non-return has created a leadership vacancy and the club has appointed Nick Kelly, 19, to the role. Kelly, a middle-order batsman and left-arm spinner, toured Australia with the NZ Under 19s earlier this year.
Nick Kelly, April 2012 - YouTube

Shouldn't really bat No. 9 anywhere in NZ, even if he played Plunket. Presume Counties said "this is nasty weekend warriors cricket, he's too young, play him down the order".

Last edited:

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Lou Vincent, Champions League - YouTube

Found this just now when I was setting up an Ish Sodhi google alert for the season. 8-)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-time.../Duthie-Cup-on-the-line-as-one-day-play-opens

Nick Kelly, April 2012 - YouTube

Shouldn't really bat No. 9 anywhere in NZ, even if he played Plunket. Presume Counties said "this is nasty weekend warriors cricket, he's too young, play him down the order".
More gold!

On Kelly, whilst it doesn't really explain why he batted so low at U18 level, I'd say he looks to have some talent. Very quick feet and a bit of panache. Looks like a bit of a nut, too! Maybe this is why he's been made skipper.

All told I'll make him a No.6 with batting his strong suit (good off his legs, not bad through the covers either). I think his spin will evolve into that kind of semi-all-rounder type, even if it was once his main strength.

So it's settled, then: he's KP :D

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Hmm, just spotted that Kelly was not out in all four of his ND U18 knocks, coming in late. Maybe they just didn't realise he could bat?

Howsie

International Captain
Hmm, just spotted that Kelly was not out in all four of his ND U18 knocks, coming in late. Maybe they just didn't realise he could bat?
That was almost two years ago now though tbf, a lot can change for a cricketer at 17/18. Take Tamati Clarke a few years ago (another CM player). Opening left arm quick for ND Under 17's batting 10/11, fast forward one year and he's in the NZ under 19 team as a middle order bat bowling some left arm spin.

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Hence my KP comment-he was a SLA bowler and lower-order bat as a kid, y'know.

What may be of interest to Wellington fans is that Michael Vaughan thinks that Chris Woakes will eventually be a better batsman that he is a bowler. And he's a bloody good bowler.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
More gold!

On Kelly, whilst it doesn't really explain why he batted so low at U18 level, I'd say he looks to have some talent. Very quick feet and a bit of panache. Looks like a bit of a nut, too! Maybe this is why he's been made skipper.

All told I'll make him a No.6 with batting his strong suit (good off his legs, not bad through the covers either). I think his spin will evolve into that kind of semi-all-rounder type, even if it was once his main strength.

So it's settled, then: he's KP :D
Probably more Aaron O'Brien than KP in reality. :p

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hence my KP comment-he was a SLA bowler and lower-order bat as a kid, y'know.

What may be of interest to Wellington fans is that Michael Vaughan thinks that Chris Woakes will eventually be a better batsman that he is a bowler. And he's a bloody good bowler.
Woakes signing up the Franklin school of "becoming **** at bowling" is he?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's been said about him by lots of people ever since he was a kid; I think it's as much about people not really rating his bowling as highly as his performances dictate as it actually about his batting though. The fact that he's come into county cricket and immediately become an almost unparalleled opening bowler at that level across his career has been quite a surprise, even to those who rated him as the next big thing.

His batting has always been perceived to have more natural talent about it; Nick Knight went on record to say that he was the second best young batsman he'd ever seen come out of Warwickshire after Ian Bell, and that the gap wasn't very large.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not really of interest as I value Michael Vaughan's opinion about as highly as I value the opinion of Athlai's current crab infestation.