• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Good to see that we are teaching them young that 'test' matches should be nothing more than a 13 a-side warm-up for the one-dayers.

I take it this doesn't count from an official stats POV?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Who's the Brett Lee clone btw?
Ben Ashkenazi

What are your thoughts on Hunter, Kippax?

He dominated the second half of the club cricket season in Dunedin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJUHf_1fU84

Yeah, I liked the fact the Aussies were picking him up late, and that he's beating the top edge of the bat on a late season Lincoln pitch. He's limiting his modes of dismissal by jumping out wide on the crease every time obvs but he's got reasonable control.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Good to see that we are teaching them young that 'test' matches should be nothing more than a 13 a-side warm-up for the one-dayers.

I take it this doesn't count from an official stats POV?
No, it doesn't count. I think the last two proper U19 tours I've seen scored on Cricinfo were England vs. South Africa both times, which I guess sums it up pretty well. Everyone else gears their whole program towards the next U19 WC, which provides a very tangible and convenient return on investment metric. This is much easier to record on a high performance balance sheet than some vague and toffy, set the tone pay-off.

Immenso

I'm starting to judge Buchanan now. I honestly couldnt quite 'place him' before.

But with an NZ A test v India A turned a little farcical by him and Littlejohn wanting to experiment with how 2 bowlers, who will never play another test, and who would never lead the attack if they did - would go leading the attack with no 3rd paceman.

And now this farce of an U19 test.

I realize it's not just Buchanan's decision, and there is another team involved.

But for a guy with a job which is so hard to measure, the few times he is involved with actual matches in the 'develoment' sphere -I've been pretty ****ed off with how they have been run.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
But with an NZ A test v India A turned a little farcical by him and Littlejohn wanting to experiment with how 2 bowlers, who will never play another test, and who would never lead the attack if they did - would go leading the attack with no 3rd paceman.
Yeah I'm going to have to assume the true intention there was to put a line through Arnel, McKay and Nethula and have a specific game to direct their enquiries to, then crack on with the youngsters next A tour. Likewise the county stint for Nicol tbh.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
"Ashkenazi Jews are smart. Shockingly brilliant, in general. Impressively greater in brain power than the bulk of the human population...."

Heat with intelligence.

Immenso

All 30 Wickets, New Zealand U19 vs. Australia U19 - YouTube

Pity Weerasundara struggled with the short stuff and was a bit of an Unmukt Chand with his cut and offside drive bias. A very stylish little bat by Wgtn-raised standards.
Lot of soft wickets given away by the kiwis. Especially in the first innings - only really that brute of a bouncer that got Gibbons seemed worthy of a wicket. I realise some of the later ones were deceleration wickets.

That Fotia bowled a few brutes in the second innings.

Very hard to tell the two blond kiwi bowlers apart, Jamieson and Hunter. Good to see the legspinner Jenkins get a stumping from a googly.

Weerasundera did looks classy/elegant from the shots in that vid.

Fair few leg side strangles, or holing out off full tosses from both sides?

Kapil

Cricket Spectator
Met Tim Seifert a few times at Seddon Park at matches. (I tend to visit too many matches than I should). He seems like a top bloke and a good prospect. He trained with the ND side this season.

On the subject of top blokes, Jeetan Patel is a right ____. Just putting that out there.

Meridio

International Regular
All 30 Wickets, New Zealand U19 vs. Australia U19 - YouTube

Pity Weerasundara struggled with the short stuff and was a bit of an Unmukt Chand with his cut and offside drive bias. A very stylish little bat by Wgtn-raised standards.
Possibly I'm having too high standards here, but my god, there's some appalling dismissals in there for both sides. Just great examples of really, really thick cricket. Getting run out because you've wandered out of your crease, or are practicing the sweep shot you've just hit. Hitting juicy full tosses to fielders. It's just so, so dumb.

The out-to-a-pie dismissal is something that happens far, far too often imo, particularly in youth cricket. If you get a big full toss or a long hop, just hit the ball along the ****ing ground.

BeeGee

International Captain
Possibly I'm having too high standards here, but my god, there's some appalling dismissals in there for both sides. Just great examples of really, really thick cricket. Getting run out because you've wandered out of your crease, or are practicing the sweep shot you've just hit. Hitting juicy full tosses to fielders. It's just so, so dumb.

The out-to-a-pie dismissal is something that happens far, far too often imo, particularly in youth cricket. If you get a big full toss or a long hop, just hit the ball along the ****ing ground.
Yeah, had a good laugh at some of those dismissals. :laugh:
A large number of Kohlis and what looked like a couple of dodgy LBW decisions in there as well.

They're young, they'll learn... hopefully.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Weerasundera did looks classy/elegant from the shots in that vid.
Rakitha Weerasundara vs. Matt Fotia / Australia U19 - YouTube

Big demand to join new training programme | Stuff.co.nz

Pro X New Zealand Ltd is now in Sri Lanka | The Sundaytimes Sri Lanka

If he wanted to avoid sharing an employer with his dad, Weerasundara would be a perfect fit for Central Districts tbf. Greek bully Fotia certainly had him pegged as a nice little technically-minded introvert to rough up with short stuff and keep giving a gobful to.

Seemingly discriminated against selection-wise today as well, probably for being a bit too precious and slow, despite the fact this isn't an U19 side you'd say has talent to burn.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see the NZU19's creep over the line for a consolation win.

Some lovely looking shots from Weerasundara in that compilation. Good to see him get some runs today.