• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
True, it was more based on U19s. And Henry is 21, not 19 like Southee was.

Do we think it's a good idea to have him play ODIs first or wait for tests? I'm torn on this issue though usually in favour of saving for tests. I tend to think most bowlers' test performances are affected negatively by playing ODIs however for a few (e.g. Bond) I think it helped them.
I would say play him in ODI's... he has sustained success in the format and it's less likely to lead to injuries during this tender phase of his career (he's already had a back stress fracture, don't want to risk another).

But I wouldn't include him at all unless there was a new ball spot available. So I'm really not sure whether there's a place for him atm, with Southee and Mills frontlining the attack.

Flem274*

123/5
Nick Beard and Greg Morgan played more of a part then Dougeh iirc. The next WC was when Dougeh's bowling came into its own. Wheeler, Small, Bracewell, van Beek, Johnston, Anderson, Neesham and Boam in the team at once.

A team of allrounders.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Does anyone know why Henry wasn't included in that 2010/11 squad? Later this season he began his demolition of domestic FC batting lineups. Was he already too old, or did he miss out due to form?

jcas0167

International Debutant
Southee really hadn't done anything spectacular when he was called into the Black Caps. Had taken about 30 wickets at 28 apiece when he was called in, iirc. Good for a 19 year old, but nothing out of the ordinary (Milne, Small and Wheeler have all done comparably well in their first couple of seasons and none of them are anywhere near a test callup). The real reason he was brought into the side was because of his performance in the U19 World Cup (which really should've counted for sfa given how low the standard in u19 cricket is compared to FC cricket).
Southee came in for the England T20 matches before the under 19 WC along with Ryder and made a big impression. I remember McCullum saying he was disapointed Southee was going to miss the ODI series because he was then off to the Under 19 WC. He was the player of the tournament and debuted in the third test on his return when Mills got injured.

I think he had been earmarked as a future Chris Cairns so was fast tracked in.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I would say play him in ODI's... he has sustained success in the format and it's less likely to lead to injuries during this tender phase of his career (he's already had a back stress fracture, don't want to risk another).

But I wouldn't include him at all unless there was a new ball spot available. So I'm really not sure whether there's a place for him atm, with Southee and Mills frontlining the attack.
I wouldn't mind seeing Henry (or other promising fast bowlers) given a run in a handful of T20s/ODIs as a primer - give them a taste and some familiarity with international cricket. It's when they perform and become a fixture in the side that it *can* be a problem - then they have to spend a lot of time working on variations and death bowling and all that, which as we know can affect their test bowling.

Could work. I'd certainly like to see it if it does (when a spot opens up).

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Does anyone know why Henry wasn't included in that 2010/11 squad? Later this season he began his demolition of domestic FC batting lineups. Was he already too old, or did he miss out due to form?
Didn't make the team. If I remember correctly he may have actually been one of the reserves. I think Milne was in the same boat too. Henry was pretty good at the tournament but I think he'd come out of nowhere a bit - Wheeler, Small, Neesham, Anderson et al had been the age group stars for a couple of years by then.

Howsie

International Captain
Yeah, he was named in the squad he just didn't make the final 15. Henry, Friday and Hampton all just missed the cut that season, it was Milne that didn't get close. And 12 months later he was playing for New Zealand.

Actually looking at the games Henry wasn't even opening the bowling for the Canterbury under 19 team, first or second change a lot of the time.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
http://www.blackcaps.co.nz/live/default.aspx

U19s off to NZ

From this year’s Under-18 Talent Camp the YSP has chosen a squad of 14 to travel to New Zealand to play a series of matches against the New Zealand Under-19 team in Christchurch.

The series begins with a three-day game commencing on Easter Saturday and is followed by three One-Day Internationals (ODI) in the following week. All games will be played at the picturesque Bert Sutcliffe Oval, which is situated at the campus of Lincoln University.

This will be the first of three series that the Under-19 squad will play this year as a lead-in to the next ICC Under-19 World Cup, which will be held in Dubai next February.

India and New Zealand will come to Australia for a series in Darwin in late June, while we will travel to India in September for another series. We are also planning to play a short series in the sub-continent early next year on the way to the World Cup.

If recent history is anything to go by, the squad that has been chosen for this series in New Zealand will form the bulk of the ICC Under-19 World Cup team next year.

The only one missing from this tour that played in the last World Cup is Alex Gregory from South Australia. Alex is an all-rounder who is recovering from a back injury at present.

If he regains fitness, Alex is most likely to play in the Darwin series and will be one of the contenders to captain the next World Cup team.

On this tour we have a talented squad which contains representatives from all states plus two exciting young spinners from the Northern Territory.

Tom Andrews is a left-arm finger spinner who bats well and Joel Logan bowls right-arm leg spin.

The emergence of these two youngsters hot on the heels of the recent success of Kane Richardson is a credit to the Northern Territory Institute of Sport cricket program and it augurs well for Australian cricket.

Considering the excellent Cricket ACT development program which has unearthed talent such as Nathan Lyon, the Territories are delivering quality young talent to the national system.

The pace bowling in this series will be led by Matthew Fotia, Ben Ashkenazi and Guy Walker who are all from Victoria along with Billy Stanlake from Queensland.

At 203cm Stanlake is by far the tallest, but will need to be eased back into bowling in this series due to some recent injuries.

Cameron Valente is a medium pace bowling all-rounder from South Australia. He relies on accuracy and a clever variety of deliveries to achieve his success. He has made this team on the back of a successful Under-19 carnival in which he was instrumental in his state winning the title. He is an intelligent lower order batsman who fields well.

The batting line-up is a good mix of aggressive and solid performers. One of the big challenges for this series will be to give them all enough opportunities to showcase their talents.

All performed well for their states in the recent under-age championships and each will be keen to back those performances up at this level. Left-handers are well represented in this squad with Jake Doran (NSW), Kelvin Smith (SA) and Jaron Morgan (WA).

Jake is one of the younger members of the squad at 16 and he is the younger brother of Luke Doran, who played in the victorious Australian 2010 ICC Under-19 World Cup team. Jake also keeps wickets and bowls left-arm seamers.

Kelvin, who offers some off-spin options as a second string is the younger brother of James Smith who has represented South Australia at the senior level, while Jaron is a strongly built, hard-hitting batsman who also keeps wickets.

To keep the family theme going, we have Ben McDermott, son of Craig and brother of Alister who also played in the successful 2010 ICC Under-19 World Cup team, who is performing well for Queensland and has represented Australia at senior level in the Australia A side. Ben is an exciting batting talent and will be one of the wicket keepers on this tour.

The final three batsmen in the squad are Damien Mortimer (NSW), Matthew Short (VIC) and Dean Willis (TAS).

All are right handers with Damien and Dean being powerfully built, while Matthew is taller and a free-flowing player who likes to drive the ball on the up. Matthew will need to be more selective with which deliveries he drives at in New Zealand conditions where the new ball can move around off the seam more than it does in Australia.

The tour will be a great experience for these lads, most of whom are here for the first time. While we always set out to win each game and each series, the main aim of this tour will be to develop their talent and their leadership skills by exposing them to different experiences on and off the field.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Reduced overs due to rain is going to suck tbh; esp since Henry failed his Munro test recently. Bennett enjoyed partial success in beating him for pace, so I really need Perham to have Roadington back to its very fastest.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Seifert gives it a huge tweak with the bottom hand I notice. Will forward some clips to Siddons, think he'd like the aggressive footwork and the way he's booming it.