• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Both disciplines.

Whilst it's not quite the classical statistical definition of an All-Rounder, if you consider they'll probably both be in the top 6-most sides would take it!

Cheers for that bit more inside track on Horne and O'Donnell too, Steve. My impressions were similar from stats and the tiny bit of U19 WC action I saw them in. Both look top class in their age group, and seeing as my DB has U19's and 2nd XI cricket, I want as many youngsters with potential in there as I can get reliable info on. Let me know if there's any other top prospects there.

My impressions of Horne as a good fielder are mainly formed from a clip earlier on this thread! I guess his bowling could be handy too-future Rob Nicol type maybe? Dunno if that's a good thing, mind..

As for the Auckland bowling attack, if they go for that top 7 (with de Boorder and Parlane playing if needed), I assume the bowling places would be:

8-Mills (when available)
9-Martin
10-Bates
11-McClenaghan

-unless they go for two spinners again, which is a slight gamble with Colin's as 3rd and 4th seamers IMO.

Backup seam option most likely Bartlett I assume. What's the buzz about Ferguson (impressive A's figures last season) and Quinn (is he really "Fast" as the (usually wrong) sources imply)?

I do like Bates, and always wonder why he doesn't get a better crack at International level. At least over Arnell and McKay. The mistaken link on his Cricinfo profile also always gives me a chuckle: Michael Bates | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

I'd guess that Adams might do his usual T20/OD job with the odd Plunkett appearance, but that may be in doubt if Vincent is still classed as the designated foreigner? I know which of the two I'd be picking, given the choice..

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm, I'd actually find that tough. On balance Adams is much more likely to produce a killer spell against the domestix in early rounds than Lou is to produce a match-winning (rather than breezy) knock, but without Lou Auckland's batting really develops a barnyard look to it.

Ferguson featured on a weekly segment on our Cricket Show last season, the idea being to see his pace and action progress and see if he could clock 145.

No, Quinn's not fast at all -
Quinton de Kock, 50 vs. New Zealand U19 - YouTube

Here's Horne batting, as Steve said a good eye and has bravely gone for his shots against 140+ pace, albeit with a farm-fresh technique. Maybe not this year, but he'll no doubt use that pick-up pull and his lofted flicks to good effect at Eden Park in good time.
Ronsford Beaton vs. New Zealand U19 - YouTube
Ben Horne, 81 (75) vs. England U19, April 2012 - YouTube

Last edited:

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Hee hee, so Ferguson not exactly "medium" as Cricinfo would have us believe, then? More like RF to RFM?

Great links, as ever.

Quinn probably more like MF?

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Ferguson featured on a weekly segment on our Cricket Show last season, the idea being to see his pace and action progress and see if he could clock 145.
Can anyone fill me in on how did that go in the end? I saw few of the episodes, but not the final result.
I actually found it reasonably interesting, with the crossover coaching from the Javelin thrower and sprinting coach etc

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
No I didn't see the final episode myself!

RFM a fairly safe bet for actual match pace I guess. Quinn was clocked in that U19 semi, mid 120's. Duffy 130-135 tops, Nuttall 130.

CCDB, join the fanzone and then try to follow the video I'm about to PM to you to use the video vault at your leisure btw.

Last edited:

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
No I didn't see the final episode myself!

RFM a fairly safe bet for actual match pace I guess. Quinn was clocked in that U19 semi, mid 120's. Duffy 130-135 tops, Nuttall 130.

CCDB, join the fanzone and then try to follow the video I'm about to PM to you to use the video vault at your leisure btw.
Good stuff with the pace ranges. One thing I try to do is be lenient with youngsters who might put on a yard as they develop, so I'll consider that with the ratings. Makes you wonder where some people get their classifications from! Maybe somebody dropped the folder that was full of all the young seamers pace ratings and they all got jumbled up..

Signed up to the fanzone-it might be easier if they told you what your username is rather than you having to work it out before you can log-in!

Horne has a very open stance: almost shades of Peter Willey in places there. But that's a knock against some very good young English bowlers-Topley, Ball and the Overton's are all established FC players over here. And the guy has one thing I do like-he shares a name with one of my favourite Twin Peaks characters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXRWQ2-TxA8&feature=related

Back on to Vincent for a moment, it seems I might have written him off prematurely due to this last season: Cricket Records | Records | Stanbic Bank 20 Series, 2011/12 - Mid West Rhinos | Batting and bowling averages | ESPN Cricinfo

Neither he nor Mr "No Wicket" Tait exactly covering themselves in glory! But then I suppose anybody can have a poor T20 run.

NOTE: Quinn's Cricinfo profile has been updated to say RMF!

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Twin Peaks! Even James Marshall showed promise in Twin Peaks.

Username is the email address you supplied.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Leamington Spa is a lovely place. I did used to love lock-ins at the Brunswick on (funnily enough) Brunswick Street, but I fear it has long since closed or renamed itself. Ah well.

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Leamington Spa is a lovely place. I did used to love lock-ins at the Brunswick on (funnily enough) Brunswick Street, but I fear it has long since closed or renamed itself. Ah well.
Was it the one by the canal? Problem is the whole canal area is a bit of a crime-fest now by leafy Leamington standards! You're right though, it's a lovely mellow place to live. It's easy to forget how nice. I work in a listed building for one thing-it's the converted old Pump Rooms, now a library.

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
He was the No 5/6 dropped after the Quad Series wasn't he. There's his SLA -
http://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.net/df6cb4a6-d5a2-4ed9-b79b-d0aee31cbc45/2_029_04.mp4
I might need a bit of an idiots-guide to getting these pooch.blob's to work: they just open on a blank window for me.

But yes, he's the guy. But actually it seems Cricinfo are wrong to have him down as Auckland, as he played for ND U18: The Home of CricketArchive

The Home of CricketArchive

Those stats very much paint a picture of a bowler, generally he batted 8-9 in those games.

He did this last season: The Home of CricketArchive

The Home of CricketArchive

Yet for the national team, he was batting top 6 and bowled less than Horne: Cricket Records | Records | Quadrangular Under-19 Series (Australia), 2012 - New Zealand Under-19s | Batting and bowling averages | ESPN Cricinfo

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
They probably have someone reading this thread too; wouldn't be the first time.
Ferguson's a RM still: when they change that, we know they're reading.

They did the same in response to constant complaints on the Kent forum about Matt Coles's classification last season.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was it the one by the canal? Problem is the whole canal area is a bit of a crime-fest now by leafy Leamington standards! You're right though, it's a lovely mellow place to live. It's easy to forget how nice. I work in a listed building for one thing-it's the converted old Pump Rooms, now a library.
It was fairly near the Canal, but I think I know the one you mean - one that closed a good few years ago now, perhaps? I've just Google StreetMapped it and the Brunswick is now called The Jet. Great for lock ins, pool table, darts board, juke box with Toto's "Africa" on it to be played on loop by the Kenyan member of our ensemble, rabbits in the garden, random man always at the bar who coughed, but never spoke. Bliss.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Right-click and save as those mp4s, in Chrome you could look it them in a new tab. Lara Flynn Boyle looks worse every time I see him.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket Wellington have a very nice stats module on their website for all levels of Club Cricket, but you could certainly easily get the information about general performance levels in Club Cricket, at least in our region.

Then on CricketWeb, I think there are guys who've played for Hamilton, Marlborough and North Otago at Hawke Cup level in recent years.

Ewan Chatfield's still playing Club Cricket - so whack him in the database, aye? ;)
Who was the member who played for North Otago?

Anyway, there's a cricket tragic in Oamaru who has set up the website for the North Otago Cricket Association. Very comprehensive, including this player page.

Player Pages - NOCA