• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I really hope this isn't the end for Sinclair, hope he comes back next year to plunder through the offside any chump naive or wayward enough to not bowl to a plan.

Immenso

I can answer part of my own question. Williamson is an overseas player for Gloucester for 2013 according to cricinfo.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Andrew Mathieson, he is pretty highly rated on here, but from what I have seen on tv and in the flesh, doesnt seem to have much pace at all. With the speed gun on didn't hit 130k in his second spell, and was 137k at his peak in his first. taking alot of tap so far in the one dayers also.
141 was the fastest I saw from Mathieson. His pitch map would be one of the worst in the comp; whether due to completely naive strategy or lack of control (bowling short again and again to Ryder while he camped on the back foot, etc.).

This isn't the worst compilation though for a guy in his rookie season, and I think Howsie's right that he should've never been missing out on FC experience to ****ing Hiini.
"At a Glance" | Andrew Mathieson - YouTube
Something looks a bit funny about his action. Seems like he gets a bit "stuck" in the crease ala Darren Sammy, there's plenty of potential for him to add a few clicks
Mathieson reminds me of a guy I know who wants to bowl fast, and as he runs in he's clearly thinking ''strength' and 'raAAAHHH!' and tenses all his muscles, holds the ball like he wants to crush it, tight core, legs and arms pumping hard but unevenly, tense forearm and shoulder, tendons popping out on his neck... and then most of the time it doesn't come out at that quick. To my mind in that clip and others, Mathieson looked quicker when has action looked looser and that helped him through the crease.

I know I'm hopelessly biased towards bowlers with fluent looking actions (Darryl Tuffey etc) but.... reckon Mathieson's action could be more fluent.

theegyptian

I can answer part of my own question. Williamson is an overseas player for Gloucester for 2013 according to cricinfo.
Nah Williamson isn't coming back to Glos this season. Klinger signed up for the whole season afaik. Patel is the only kiwi playing the whole season - for warwickshire again. Oram and Styris playing T20. That's it afaik.

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
UK County slots and NZ HP Funding

Its not helpful that there are so few Kiwi County players these days. NZC should maintain a core group of players on the UK County circuit annually. Is it the perception that N Z players are not good enough.Sadder for cricket, on the home front, is the High Performance Sport P M's Scholarship list for 2013. 333 young promising Kiwis each receiving generous funding in 2013 but not a single cricketer, not one .Very weird. Has NZC had anything to say about that ? Truckloads in athletics, hockey, netball, cycling, canoeing, rowing , triathlon and yachting. All of these rated higher than the best young eligible Kiwi cricketer.N Z reached the semi's of the ICC U 19 World Cup in 2012 so why? The perception that our cricketers are second or third rate apparently exists in N Z as well. Just ask HP Sport NZ.

PM Athlete Scholarship recipients 2013 | High Performance Sport New Zealand

Immenso

Nah Williamson isn't coming back to Glos this season. Klinger signed up for the whole season afaik. Patel is the only kiwi playing the whole season - for warwickshire again. Oram and Styris playing T20. That's it afaik.
Stink.

I see Klinger averaged 19 in Sheffield Shield.
It's only one overseas pro though? Dan Cristian signed only for T20.

Any chance of NZC sneaking in someone 'free of charge' for Braces during that pre-tour period? Or has Rob Nicol's stint ruined that?

Guptill was quite successful in Windies test series after his Derby stint, he needs about 10 FC warm up matches before any test series.....

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Stink.

I see Klinger averaged 19 in Sheffield Shield.
It's only one overseas pro though? Dan Cristian signed only for T20.

Any chance of NZC sneaking in someone 'free of charge' for Braces during that pre-tour period? Or has Rob Nicol's stint ruined that?

Guptill was quite successful in Windies test series after his Derby stint, he needs about 10 FC warm up matches before any test series.....
Lol there really wasn't anyone to send there apart from Nicol due to the West Indies tour. They wanted Flynn or Boult IIRC.

Flem274*

123/5
Its not helpful that there are so few Kiwi County players these days. NZC should maintain a core group of players on the UK County circuit annually. Is it the perception that N Z players are not good enough.Sadder for cricket, on the home front, is the High Performance Sport P M's Scholarship list for 2013. 333 young promising Kiwis each receiving generous funding in 2013 but not a single cricketer, not one .Very weird. Has NZC had anything to say about that ? Truckloads in athletics, hockey, netball, cycling, canoeing, rowing , triathlon and yachting. All of these rated higher than the best young eligible Kiwi cricketer.N Z reached the semi's of the ICC U 19 World Cup in 2012 so why? The perception that our cricketers are second or third rate apparently exists in N Z as well. Just ask HP Sport NZ.

PM Athlete Scholarship recipients 2013 | High Performance Sport New Zealand
It's probably because despite being the second biggest sport in the country in both popularity, media coverage and funding, NZC produces ****e results.

And the relative participation between cricket in NZ and cricket in other countries argument that gets trotted out as an excuse for losing holds no weight when it comes to who gets high performance scholarships because every sport bar rugby has a huge participation disadvantage when compared with other countries yet we do well in them.

New Zealand cricketers are the biggest underachievers in New Zealand sport when you look at what they get given to them on a plate, and they don't deserve PM scholarships because they go to the people who will actually give a return on the investment.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
It's probably because despite being the second biggest sport in the country in both popularity, media coverage and funding, NZC produces ****e results.

And the relative participation between cricket in NZ and cricket in other countries argument that gets trotted out as an excuse for losing holds no weight when it comes to who gets high performance scholarships because every sport bar rugby has a huge participation disadvantage when compared with other countries yet we do well in them.

New Zealand cricketers are the biggest underachievers in New Zealand sport when you look at what they get given to them on a plate, and they don't deserve PM scholarships because they go to the people who will actually give a return on the investment.
Like? We do well in sports nobody cares about tbh.

Flem274*

123/5
Like? We do well in sports I don't care about tbh.
Fixed.

And I was referring to Olympic sports, which looking at that list seems to be the main focus of the scholarships. A quick skim shows a couple of mens rugby players and that's it for the major sports. Rugby, League, cricket and football (mens') don't feature much, but there are about ten million rowers.

They're not going to invest in athletes they don't see potential in a return from, nor invest in many athletes who already have easy access to any facility they like. Cricket is in the unfortunate position where it has a track history of both sucking yet having the most resources to call upon barring rugby.

Last edited:

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
People care about the Olympics once for a two week period every 4 years, then don't give a damn in between.
Which is probably why they get the scholarships, most olympic athletes dont have much of a chance to earn a living via their sport, even the top ones for the more obscure sports. Cricket player however, if they are apply themselves are probably going to end up semi professional.

Immenso

Last match of the season for Otago, and probably CD, today.

Not a great way to end for Duffy (at this rate). But he can take consolation from D Bracewell and Bennett having tough apprenticeships at similar age, and are now NZ (or fringe) bowlers.

Wright

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Just wondering why Guptill didn't get into the IPL this year? Isn't he the second best batsman in the world at 20/20 according to the ICC rankings and one of the best fielders in the world? Seems really strange to me he wasn't picked up. (the auction was also before he got injured)

Immenso

Just wondering why Guptill didn't get into the IPL this year? Isn't he the second best batsman in the world at 20/20 according to the ICC rankings and one of the best fielders in the world? Seems really strange to me he wasn't picked up. (the auction was also before he got injured)
Either;
Because NZ touring England during IPL, so wouldn't be available for whole tournament. Or,
Weird vendetta against those who snub IPL.

Last edited:

Immenso

Ground delay at Hagley Oval, but when it does get underway it should be interesting. CD have named Nethula 12 th man, and have pace attack of Milne, Wheeler, Bracewell, Mathieson.

While Henry and Bennett in Canterbury side.

Batsmen on both sides hoping the covers are good ......