• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Flem274*

123/5
McCone, Ellis, van Beek, Bennett, Hir - wtf Bennett is playing again?

ND should back themselves to chase this against this attack. Especially since Ellis has been chosen to open the bowling ahead of Bennett, which makes me suspect he's rusty and wonder if he's fully fit yet.

edit: 12/2. Lol shuddup phlegm.

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Only 6 bowlers with an ER under 5 in the Ford Trophy so far this season. Take hou How (2 overs), and Bennett (6 overs) - and really only 4 bowlers; Henry, Southee, Mills, Ellis.

Franklin, Nethula and Verma also have respectable ER, ave, wickets. Don't know how Verma could escape that 400 game with still decent season stats.

BTW. Great to see Bennett back. I just looked him up on the archive and it's 4 seasons since he played a FC game (which was his test in India where he broke down). Since then he has been returning from injury, injured, or one season in blackcaps ODI team - all preventing any FC play.

Immenso

Sodhi was 12th man last match. Good to see him back, hope he gets a List A game or 2 this season. Although J Boult is useful in these formats.

Last edited:

Immenso

From the eng tour thread. kippax's YouTube clip of Bennett comeback
Some Bennett comeback footage - YouTube

That action looks different to me, less jumping outwards in the delivery stride, no Kerry Walmsley both arms upwards. Looks much better, more efficient, less stressful, I am officially excited - great to see him back.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Yeah it does look Lee-esque tbh. Great to see him back, terrific yorker that. Gun.

Hopefully he stays injury free for a while now.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
We've read previously Bond helped him with this remodelling.

Just running through the full spell to up the video for you ****s....you can almost hear the thud of a few of these balls as they hit Cachopa's gloves tbh, I should chuck in the odd Arnel clip for compare and contrast. Milne, Ferguson and Bennett are noticeably the domestix pace kings of the summer.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
still an unco run-up, but that action looks a lot smoother (although still not a pretty action) than before the injury.

Immenso

That's a top quality return after 2 years, 1-24 after 6 doesn't really tell the full story. Good in shape at times, definitely need to know where your off stump is if you want to leave one.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Both Henry and Bennett know a Champions Trophy spot is almost assured if they can cut through Ryder, Ronchi, Papps, Elliott, Franky and Jeets on Wednesday, will be an interesting battle.

Last edited:

Blain

U19 Captain
I agree Bennett's action looks better, hardly Brett Lee like though! I guess you could argue he is because he isn't doing the 2 hand raise in delivery anymore. Appears sharp, 140+ by the looks of it!

Jezroy

State Captain
Speaking of opening the batting, what do they do about that in ODI's? Watling is not an ODI opener. Like he is not a test opener.

Give Rutherford another chance or four? Despite his poor List A record.

Bring Guptill back in (probably a good idea)?

Wait on Jesse and hope he will fix it?

Pick someone like Papps or How as a solution for the next few years, rather than throwing in a youngster?

To me - an ideal ODI team at the moment would have...

3. Williamson - Locked in
4. Taylor - Locked in
6. B McCullum
8. NcCullum - Seems to be locked in
9. Mills - Locked in
10. McClenaghan - Locked in (if fit)

But then

1 & 2. As mentioned above - 2 of Guptill/Ryder/Rutherford/How/Papps/Worker

5. Elliot? Never been spectacular, but never really failed in ODI's
It's a slot that needs more batsman than bowler. Looking at guys like Broom/Watling/Munro/Ronchi (as keeper or not)/Mitchell maybe? - Ryder would be good here and could bowl (but then you would want to find two openers better than him)

7. Franklin? Or is it time to pick a bowling all rounder and move on... But you're picking from Neesham/Wells (even though he has been opening?)/Ellis/Vettori would be ideal for this slot actually... Give up test cricket buddy.

11. A few to choose from Henry/Bennett/Southee/Bates, would probably leave Boult and Bracewell alone for tests if possible.

I like this...

Guptill
Ryder
Williamson
Taylor
Watling
BcCullum
Vettori
NcCullum
Mills
Southee
McClenaghan

7 bowling options. A bit of hitting down the order. Watling batting down the order (did an excellent job of this, then got shunted up)

My B team would be

Rutherford
Papps
Ronchi
Broom
Elliot
Mitchell
Franklin (he'd succeed at the next level down)
Neesham
Henry
Bates
CrapIDon'tHaveASpinner