• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Congrats CD. Deserving winners.

Surprised that Wellington took out Otago. Will watch with interest when highlights available to see how Gillespie bowled.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
How strong is the Hawke Cup?

I ask as Matt Woods, who's an Oxfordshire lad, seems to be tearing it up with the ball for South Canterbury (4/25 & 4/24 v North Otago, 2/88 v Southland, 6/19 & 4fer v Mid Canterbury, and 4fer today v Otago Country).
Well, considering 115kph outswing just took a triple-wicket maiden against Auckland in first-class, good Hawke Cup figures certainly aren't a reliable stamp of impending high quality.

If Shanan Stewart and Doug Bracewell played a season of Hawke Cup together, both would average about 20 with the ball I'd imagine.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, it's just great that CD produces so much homegrown talent like Cachopa, Raval, Lamb, Mathieson, Nethula and van Wyk aye?

vandem

International 12th Man
...Well done CD, winning 6/9 deserved the Trophy. Strange bowling stats for CD this season, 22 wickets highest tally up to date, 9 different bowlers have made significant contributions to their wins.
Looked up the stats, 8 different bowlers took a first class 5-fer this season for CD. Assume this is a record.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Went to Karori Park today to watch the Wellington club cricket 20:20 Final - Karori vs. Taita.

None of the big names performed, really. In fact, all the first classers on action were a let down.

CricHQ | Matches

Was an entertaining match though - went right down to the wire.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah we all did, our academy was Ish, Bhupinder Singh, myself and a few of the under 15 guys and with Dipak, much like Strang, if they they get along with you personally, then their sorta is no vested interest regardless of your talent. I'm not too sure whether Strang rated Ish or not to be fair to Strang, but you have to wonder whats up when Tarun was leading wickettaker a few season back, the next season he hardly got a bowl.

Strang has his favourites, thats just how it is really and its why there was such an exodus regarding young Auckland talent leaving for other opportunities. Obviously its hard in Auckland where the depth supersedes that of any other district due in part to the obvious population difference, but there is also something to be said when you look at the ages of the guys leaving (Neesham, Fuller, Raval, Cachopas (and to think Craig only got a contract due to the luck that was Tuffey's retirement) Ish, etc) are all guys who happen to come across Strangs reign.

Im obviously sounding bias and almost bitter (do not like Strang, point blank) but when you talk to these guys about why they were not given an opportunity, there really wasnt a decent reason given by Auckland Cricket. It's of no surprise now that you see guys like Michael Barry, Guptill-Bunce etc all getting a run now because Matt Horne is already establishing a nice core of young players who are ready to make that step.
Question for you - should there be two Auckland sides - maybe a North Harbour team for instance.

I have no doubts that a 7 team FC structure wouldn't work but ignoring that should there be two auckland teams based on what you say,

Howsie

International Captain
Auckland could easily do it, especially if you were to give them Northland for example. As you say though there would be zero point in doing it, already far to many ****e cricketers playing first class cricket as it is.

khodder

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Went to Karori Park today to watch the Wellington club cricket 20:20 Final - Karori vs. Taita.

None of the big names performed, really. In fact, all the first classers on action were a let down.

CricHQ | Matches

Was an entertaining match though - went right down to the wire.
Ha, every one of the six bowlers Taita used are products of St Pats Silverstream. Henry Walsh and Chris Tait are too, at least 8 of the 11. Should just rename that club Stream Old Boys.

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I see Jamie How actually managed a decent season average of 40 in the end with a decent late run.

I never would have thought, when he was dropped 5 or do years ago, that he wouldn't be back in the team again within a year or so after sorting himself out with a bit of domestic cricket. It's very disappointing, but he just hasn't put any pressure on the selectors saying "pick me".

Immenso

Congrats to CD. Good effort Otago, kept the pressure on until the last day.

Not sure if it was a choke, as there was no ****ing video scorecared

Immenso

So a bit of a Plunket Shield summary? Highlights?

He only played 3 games, but probably Ben Wheeler for me. Also good to have D Bracewell in the comp for a decent amount of games and doing well with bat and ball.

With the bat: Ronchi. The guy is obviously motivated and determined for a crack at test cricket.
Of the youngsters good to see 21 year olds Craig Cachopa and D Mitchell rack up numbers. Good to see consistency from Raval even if his ton came too late to really put pressure on selectors to pick him (should be his goal for next year)

Disappointments;
T Boult not playing a single game of domestic red ball cricket. T Astle, and B Martin's post-SA numbers (huge opportunity for a spinner to step up).
Ronchi's injury at just the wrong time after putting huge pressure on selectors and incumbent.
Carl Cachopa sine the T20 break.

Edit: Bartlett's injury was a disappointment to me. I was really interested to see how he would go with a decent run in starting 11

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
T Astle, and B Martin's post-SA numbers (huge opportunity for a spinner to step up).
Nethula, Jeets and to a degree Sodhi did, tbf.

Not sure what exactly B Martin has done to oust Jeets since SA, but whatever. If they're thinking that Bruce would have done better than Jeetan bowling with those pitiful runs on the board and against that batting lineup on those pitches...well they must rate him very highly.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I see Jamie How actually managed a decent season average of 40 in the end with a decent late run.

I never would have thought, when he was dropped 5 or do years ago, that he wouldn't be back in the team again within a year or so after sorting himself out with a bit of domestic cricket. It's very disappointing, but he just hasn't put any pressure on the selectors saying "pick me".
I agree - always rated How quite highly. It's the captaincy curse I tells ya. At 31 now he'll probably hang around in the domestic scene for a couple more years before a Sinclair/Fulton/Bell-like last hurrah at age 34 when we're desperate... with about as much success.

Congrats to CD. Good effort Otago, kept the pressure on until the last day.

Not sure if it was a choke, as there was no ****ing video scorecared
Oi Flem, didn't you say something about Gillespie's celebrations after getting a wicket in this match? Where did you see?

So a bit of a Plunket Shield summary? Highlights?

He only played 3 games, but probably Ben Wheeler for me. Also good to have D Bracewell in the comp for a decent amount of games and doing well with bat and ball.

With the bat: Ronchi. The guy is obviously motivated and determined for a crack at test cricket.
Of the youngsters good to see 21 year olds Craig Cachopa and D Mitchell rack up numbers. Good to see consistency from Raval even if his ton came too late to really put pressure on selectors to pick him (should be his goal for next year)

Disappointments;
T Boult not playing a single game of domestic red ball cricket. T Astle, and B Martin's post-SA numbers (huge opportunity for a spinner to step up).
Ronchi's injury at just the wrong time after putting huge pressure on selectors and incumbent.
Carl Cachopa sine the T20 break.
Agree with all of that. Add continual injuries to Milne, Small, Henry, Wheeler, Anderson as big disappointments. Would have liked more FC runs out of Neesham and Wells too.

Worker and Brodie poor as well, in a year when Papps, Redmond and Fulton scored big runs.

Not sure what exactly B Martin has done to oust Jeets since SA, but whatever. If they're thinking that Bruce would have done better than Jeetan bowling with those pitiful runs on the board and against that batting lineup on those pitches...well they must rate him very highly.
Yeah who knows. I wish Bartin all the best but have very low expectations.

Last edited:

Immenso

Nethula, Jeets and to a degree Sodhi did, tbf.

Nethula already blew his opportunity be being dropped for discipline reasons, whatever they were. So, he blew it the most IMO.

So his decent season was I guess a step in his comeback for contention, and good on him for putting in the performance. But he obviously isn't going to get straight back in.