• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

khodder

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Just on the bowlers. Does it scare you because you don't think they're any good? Or because its the same old, same old?
Moslty becasue it is the same guys who have tried and failed at test level (Apart from McCone and to an extent Gillespie, who does not scare me as much as long as his head is not playing tricks on him [Seriously Mark's problems are all Mental])

Arnel needs help from the pitch to do anything he gets it in NZ, though his immacualte lengths help him too.

It just sucks that every time we see a somewhat good and sharpish young bowler coming through they either cannot take a plunket shield wicket to save themselves or end up in the doctors queue.

khodder

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
For those not following; BOP 205/2; Bharat Popli scoring runs like they are going out of fashion. Joe Carter dismissed for 84;

For those counting Joe Carter in Hawke Cup so far this year; 187, 2, 77, 84.

Binkley

U19 Captain
It scares me that the top wicket takers in the plunket shield this season are;

Brent Arnel, Mark Gillespie, Ian Butler and Ryan McCone. It especially scares me that Ryan McCone has 37 wickets @ 20 this season.
McCone's ball to get Barry in the second innings was a cracker.

I agree that it would nice to see promising youngsters doing well, but I also think it is good that we are keeping the old troopers around for longer than we used to (well, it is good if they are still performing anyway). It gives the youngsters someone to learn off. And there have also been old troopers who have not done well - Chris Martin and Lou Vincent to name two biggies, while James Marshall and Grant Elliott have been average at best for their teams (although Elliott clearly still has talent, as shown by his international form).

Another upside of the PS averages is that sub-par overseas players are no longer coming here and cleaning up. Who has visited this season? Trego, Woakes and Wheater were largely unimpressive. Jarvis was okay, but didn't set the world on fire. And the only other one I can think of is Fuller, who is virtually a kiwi (and certainly learnt his craft here).

Anyway. It is not all doom and gloom.

Mike5181

International Captain
Arnel, Redmond etc performing so well is pretty dire. There's enough guys there to be excited about though.

Matt Henry
Ben Wheeler
Bevan Small
Daryl Mitchell
Jeet Raval
Adam Milne
Will Young
Hamish Rutherford
Jimmy Neesham
Tom Latham

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
There are two perspectives here; both are fair:

- Most people on this forum, me included, are primarily interested in the national team and therefore tend to view all domestic cricket primarily as a breeding ground for international-level players. This is fine - we want to see NZ do well and improve, though sometimes this viewpoint can lead to being overly dismissive of domestic-level players.

- Top level domestic cricket can also be seen as important in of itself. For some (most, actually) of the people playing, it will be the pinnacle of their careers and if so, well done to them. Particularly those who have gotten there through hard work and have reached somewhere near the limit of their ability. They've dedicated a significant period of time to the game and it's not like they'd be getting much financial reward or anything like that from it. So like Immenso says, someone like Arnel who came back from serious injury, turns up every season and takes plenty of wickets deserves to be applauded. Same for plenty of others. Sometimes it's easy to forget this just because we want good future NZ players.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
There are two perspectives here; both are fair:

- Most people on this forum, me included, are primarily interested in the national team and therefore tend to view all domestic cricket primarily as a breeding ground for international-level players. This is fine - we want to see NZ do well and improve, though sometimes this viewpoint can lead to being overly dismissive of domestic-level players.

- Top level domestic cricket can also be seen as important in of itself. For some (most, actually) of the people playing, it will be the pinnacle of their careers and if so, well done to them. Particularly those who have gotten there through hard work and have reached somewhere near the limit of their ability. They've dedicated a significant period of time to the game and it's not like they'd be getting much financial reward or anything like that from it. So like Immenso says, someone like Arnel who came back from serious injury, turns up every season and takes plenty of wickets deserves to be applauded. Same for plenty of others. Sometimes it's easy to forget this just because we want good future NZ players.
While I probably started following domestic cricket with the intl game in mind. These days it is probably my most satisfying cricket following experience with video available (after maybe The Ashes). 10 matches; 5 home games, 5 away games, deserving winner at the end. None of this crappy under-prepared 2 match test series in monsoons that is the lot of NZ test cricket.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Has provincial captaincy become a curse?

Murdoch, Wilson, D de Boorder this year have struggled.
Last year; Redmond (got dropped), Elliott, A de Boorder (dropped by Xmas), How .....all had shockers

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Could be an exciting day today in the Plunket Shield.

Otago should finish off Wellington who have just a 185 run lead with 1 wicket in hand. Pretty sure that means that CD need to beat ND - they look likely but James Marshall could yet be an unlikely hero for Otago.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
'Tightness' and 'won't wicketkeep' Bidwell says this morning, more than likely he's completely buried his lead though, more taken with the great bravery shown by Jeets and Kuggs -

Cricket | Jeetan Patel Defiant For Wellington | Stuff.co.nz
Favourite bits

Patel's recent struggles against fast bowling have been painful to watch and Otago made every effort to make him relive them yesterday. Neil Wagner, who reportedly peppered Patel in the Port Elizabeth nets while the two were touring South Africa with the Black Caps, tried more of the same at the Basin Reserve.
Jeets now clearly experienced at facing PACE bowlers that are trying to hit him. 54*

Kuggeleijn's own knock was top drawer, confirming his status as an emerging all-rounder. His season average now sits in excess of 40 and he was equally stoic in the face of some hostile bowling from Wagner.

"I like to think I'd never back down to that sort of stuff. I prefer to get hurt and keep batting than look like a ***** and get out," he said.
:laugh:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Went out and saw 6 or 8 overs of the Hawke Cup game in the lunch break. Canterbury Country's bowling lineup looked rather weak, not a lot to it.

Joe Carter (Ready made replacement to open for ND in the Plunket Shield) was looking good.
How strong is the Hawke Cup?

I ask as Matt Woods, who's an Oxfordshire lad, seems to be tearing it up with the ball for South Canterbury (4/25 & 4/24 v North Otago, 2/88 v Southland, 6/19 & 4fer v Mid Canterbury, and 4fer today v Otago Country).

vandem

International 12th Man
Could be an exciting day today in the Plunket Shield.

Otago should finish off Wellington who have just a 185 run lead with 1 wicket in hand. ....
Not a done deal for Otago ...

"OTAGO VOLTS require 75 runs to win with 4 wickets in hand and 56.5 overs remaining"

vandem

International 12th Man
Otago have lost.

Well done CD, winning 6/9 deserved the Trophy. Strange bowling stats for CD this season, 22 wickets highest tally up to date, 9 different bowlers have made significant contributions to their wins.