• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Blain

U19 Captain
I see he has a golf handicap of under 2, so he must have a nice swing on him. Has a bit of natural pace in his bowling, still eratic but could be a potentially good all rounder in a few seasons. Needs to smoothen his run up.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Well, I guess the pitch at Hagley Oval can't be that bad since Canterbury have steamed away to 120/1 against Auckland's armada of medium pacers. Really only highlights how awful their batting must've been.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
The highlights are up and it looks pretty awful.

Craig Cachopa and Hopkins beaten all ends up be full swinging balls from Stewart - no blaming the pitch there.
Kitchen edges down leg off Stewart
Guptill-Bunce misses a full straight one from Stewart (possibly sliding down leg but still...)
De Grandhomme bounced out by McCone
B Marting thoroughly bounced out by McCone
Astle uses one of his trademark appeals to get a wicket.

TBF, this is the battle of the wooden-spooners

khodder

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
He's meant to be an allrounder though isn't he? So about par?
He usually bats at 8 so I would say he is the bowler who bats a bit; Woodcock and Boam would be the true allroudners. Woody the spinner, Boam the batsman who bowls a bit and Kuggs that bowler who bats a bit in the 5-7-8 range.

Flem274*

123/5
Considering Auckland have been collapsing in a heap on their road of a home pitch all season, it probably shouldn't come as a surprise that getting their wickets away from home is a first in, first served kinda deal. I wouldn't read too much into a part timer destroying the worst batting line up of the season. These things happen.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
The highlights are up and it looks pretty awful.

Craig Cachopa and Hopkins beaten all ends up be full swinging balls from Stewart - no blaming the pitch there.
Kitchen edges down leg off Stewart
Guptill-Bunce misses a full straight one from Stewart (possibly sliding down leg but still...)
De Grandhomme bounced out by McCone
B Marting thoroughly bounced out by McCone
Astle uses one of his trademark appeals to get a wicket.

TBF, this is the battle of the wooden-spooners
Yeah, those Stewart wickets; innocuous bowling and bad batting. Apologies to Lee Germon and the groundsman for my assumption the pitch was under-prepared again.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I should make it known there was a heck of a lot of really raw, short and wide filth left on the cutting room floor of that video. His chances of Ford Trophy play are zero itbt, but he'd be a great watch at Roadington, so I've done what I can.

Considering Auckland have been collapsing in a heap on their road of a home pitch all season, it probably shouldn't come as a surprise that getting their wickets away from home is a first in, first served kinda deal. I wouldn't read too much into a part timer destroying the worst batting line up of the season. These things happen.
I'd like to get in and rescue Michael Barry ftr before we put a torch to that barn. Held JimmyGS to joint Suburbs New Lynn youth cricketer of the year in 2010, looks a slightly belated addition to the FC circuit tbh.

Blain

U19 Captain
Beard getting more runs at night watchmen, maybe he should just bat 4! Otago have a few good all rounders dont they.

Raval has had a really solid season, he just hasn't had the 1 or 2 big scores to make it a good one. Hopefully he can kick on here, seems like a good nuggety opener, which is what we need in our test side..

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
He's lively. Seems thinner/leaner than a year ago than when the show. Or was that TV adding a few pounds?
Yeah, I should make it known there was a heck of a lot of really raw, short and wide filth left on the cutting room floor of that video. His chances of Ford Trophy play are zero itbt, but he'd be a great watch at Roadington, so I've done what I can.
It's amazing how much difference the rear vs front-on camera angle makes (to my watching anyway). From the front-on camera Ferguson looks damn quick and intimidating there, even if wildly inaccurate as Kippax points out. When it switches to the rear view that we're more accustomed to suddenly his approach to the crease looks leisurely and the big wind-up and release also looks less impressive.

Still reckon he gets it through at a fair pace. Might have to dial it back a bit to get some semblance of accuracy though.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Jeet Raval finally closing in on a ton to go with the myriad of starts and 50's that he's made this year. It's worth noting that he currently has a better average this season than Hutherford, and has lasted for significantly longer at the crease in terms of balls faced (average of over 80 balls per completed innings, compared to Rutherford's average of 55 balls per innings).

To keep things in context, it's also probably worth noting that he's still not doing as well as Fulton or Redmond.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
I was a little bit surprised they didn't include Raval in the warm up team for the tests actually. The guy isn't far off averaging 40 in first-class, and for a 24 year old opener in New Zealand, that's pretty decent.

Blain

U19 Captain
I think Raval is unlucky also, Rutherford might be ok for the shorter stuff, but I think he i still another season off for tests. Needs to keep building runs and exp.

If Raval had scored this century 2 weeks ago, he would be there in front of Latham. I rate Latham, but not as a opener. Will probably end up a very good number 4.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I rate Latham, but not as a opener. Will probably end up a very good number 4.
awta

Also was watching highlights of Gillespie's bowling vs Otago. I thought this game might be when he would step it up to try to impress the selectors, but instead he looks to be giving 70-80% and bowling pus. I guess there's still the England vs NZ XI warmup but he's going to have to bowl a LOT better as right now he's unpickable.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seriously odd bowling changes from Murdoch at times this season. Just seems to believe in the big names and doesn't bowl others enough. Gillespie and Patel have bowled 18 and 20+ respectively, Kuggs 10 and then Tuggs and Boam less than 10.

Tuggs comes on and finally gets Redmond out. I seem to remember similar patterns all season.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And when Tuggs gets the wicket, let's take him straight out of the attack...

...In order for Woodcock to be taken to the proverbial cleaners.

Last edited: