• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't get the "two years of poor performances" part.
He's suggesting he wasn't much chop from his Stags debut in 2010 until 2012, and he's then embellished that to 'almost two years' to help maintain the big secret. :p

Last edited:

Binkley

U19 Captain
I actually thought of Chops immediately but it could be Nethula too I guess; it's not as clear cut as I first imagined. I just didn't think Nethula fit in with the idea of the guy being poor when he first arrived from Auckland and then getting better lately, because if anything Nethula performed better when he first arrived at CD than he is now.
My first thought was Andrew Mathieson, but that would only be true if you counted Hamilton as a big city :D

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha yeah, a vulnerable Chops on the bounciest road in the country will be fun to watch.

Otherwise not a bad call as far as career advancement goes, he'll get to play an anchoring role to much more aggressive bats on a ground where Hopkins can average 55.

Flem274*

123/5
Auckland are going to have a packed middle order next season. Both Cachopa's, Kitchen, Hakaraia, Hopkins, de Boorder, Munro and CdG all vying for spots in that 3-7 area. I think they're going to lose one of those players to another side.

Auckland might be dire atm but they've exported a lot of FC standard players around the country. Every domestic side has at least one Aucklander on their roster and Canterbury and CD have 3.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Listened to Deaker on Sunday on why NZ is better at rugby than cricket. He passed by the fact that more people play rugby and went straight to the coaching. Reckoned that rugby coaching at all levels is phenomenal. Reckons that cricket coaching is patchy.

From what little exposure I had to rep cricket (only went to the trials as a youth) you did start to get good coaching if you could make the rep teams. But if you were playing high school cricket or for your intermediate it was all dependent on how good your teacher was at coaching which was always hit and miss.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Auckland are going to have a packed middle order next season. Both Cachopa's, Kitchen, Hakaraia, Hopkins, de Boorder, Munro and CdG all vying for spots in that 3-7 area. I think they're going to lose one of those players to another side.

Auckland might be dire atm but they've exported a lot of FC standard players around the country. Every domestic side has at least one Aucklander on their roster and Canterbury and CD have 3.
They should just recruit Phil ****ing Mustard

Mike5181

International Captain
It's always sad to see a player you grew up watching retire. Good luck to him for whatever he decides to do with the rest of his life.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim Southee vs. Brodie / Pollard / Boam - YouTube

Fourth equates to failure, say Firebirds

LAST, second-last or fourth – none of Wellington’s potential Plunket Shield finishes will delight them in the slightest.

‘‘It’s a disappointing campaign. If we’d been offered fourth at the start of the season we’d have said no,’’ Wellington’s director of cricket Robbie Kerr said.

It could end up being worse than fourth by the time stumps are drawn in their clash with second-placed Otago, which begins at the Basin Reserve tomorrow.

Either way, it’s the imminent start of the domestic one-day competition that’s become the priority. Wellington’s summer has promised a bit, but so far second in the Twenty20 competition is all they have to show for it.

‘‘We’ve shown this year we’re a better short format side than the longer format, so we’re very keen and hopeful we’ll have a competitive team,’’ said Kerr.
A groin strain means Jesse Ryder is a doubtful starter for tomorrow’s Plunket Shield match, but will open the batting when the one-day tournament starts on February 26.
Beyond Ryder, Kerr indicated not too many names were set in stone.

That’s partly because of the two national teams due to be named in the coming days.
The New Zealand XI to meet England in a four-day game at Queenstown, starting on February 27, is expected to be announced today, with the full test side revealed on Sunday.

Kerr felt James Franklin, Grant Elliott, Jeetan Patel, Mark Gillespie and Luke Ronchi were the Firebirds in contention for one or both of those teams, which would obviously dictate who Wellington had to choose from.

If Patel’s a Firebird, he’d form part of a three-pronged spin attack with Luke Woodcock and Mark Houghton.

Kerr said he’d be ‘‘extremely surprised’’ if Ronchi wasn’t required for the NZ XI and suggested the wicketkeeper batsman should be a Black Cap too.

‘‘I believe he’s the best keeper in the country. He’s a magnificent gloveman.

‘‘Brendon McCullum and BJ Watling are outstanding fielders in their own right, so that would be the logical thing to do.’’
Shield hopes alive for Central Stags

YOU don’t need to tell Jamie How how rare it is for Central Districts to be in a position like this.

The 31-year-old’s Plunket Shield career dates back to 2000 and in that time he’s never known the joy of lifting domestic cricket’s premier trophy.

The closest the opening batsman came was the summer of 2005-06. How was CD captain that season, but missed their 113-run win over Wellington in the decider because he was on a New Zealand tour of South Africa.

There was another final in April 2009, but Auckland were five-wicket winners over CD that time round.

The days of finals are gone, but CD are set to play in what amounts to one when they meet Northern Districts at Nelson, starting tomorrow. The Stags lead the Plunket Shield by nine points over Otago and need to win to ensure they claim the New Zealand first-class title for just the eighth time.

How was at pains to point out that nothing’s been won yet. The Stags might lead going into the last round, but there are no prizes for that.

Still, when pressed, How did concede a certain satisfaction at seeing the team get this far.
‘‘We haven’t traditionally done that well in four-day cricket. In my time we’ve been stronger at the limited overs versions of the game and we appreciate how hard it is to win any four-day game, let alone a championship,’’ How said.

On paper this would seem an unlikely CD side to be contending for this title and How was prepared to acknowledge that he might have played in some Stags teams that boasted bigger names with more runs on the board.

‘‘It’s pretty hard to compare. Obviously the results of this team speak for themselves,’’ he said.

‘‘But, yeah, I think it’s probably a fair assessment. Maybe this is a team that’s on the rise, where someone like Carl Cachopa could be a Black Cap in the not too distant future.
‘‘The old dog like Skip [Mathew Sinclair] is still there and the young pups like Will Young, so there’s a good little spread of youth and experience and it’s been a good squad performance up till now.’’

How rattled off the names of Andrew Lamb, Andrew Mathieson, Ajaz Patel and Tarun Nethula to illustrate his point. None are world beaters yet, but they’ve all bowled well in support when spearheads Adam Milne and Doug Bracewell have been available.

The other critical component in getting this far has been team spirit. If you’re Palmerston Northbased like How, you can go a whole season without actually playing in your home town, and spending that much time on the road does shorten a few fuses.

‘‘That’s usually the barometer of our dressing [room] – the wins. When things don’t go so well things can quickly turn to custard.’’

How misses a few of the familiar faces he came into first-class cricket with but said the enthusiasm, and occasional naivety, of his younger team-mates kept him on his toes. Besides, in manager and assistant coach Lance Hamilton, there’s always someone eager to relive the good old days.

‘‘We try to ensure that the young guys appreciate what’s gone before them and even if they don’t want to hear them, the old Stags’ stories get shoved down their throat a bit.’’
This week that includes being reminded how infrequently opportunities to win the four-day title come around.

‘‘Any first-class cricketer would admit that those are the ones they treasure when they hang up their boots. As Skip would say, it’s a war of nutrition,’’ How joked at the expense of his long-time teammate.

‘‘It’s a season-long process and we’ve had many years of not being in contention, so to get to the end and still be in the hunt makes it a lot easier to strap on your boots.’’

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Wheater exits the Plunket Shield, cursing its name. Auckland's Cam Fletcher gets a gig ahead of Gadsdon or Seifert.

I've been asked to make an Andrew Mathieson CricX profile video btw Howsie! If you've been in the vault and seen him lidding anyone, let me know the spell.

Last edited: