• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
No, he'll probably go to India on that September A tour, and even that's a bit of a stretch. Would be like putting a kid who's shanking every third shot into a PGA Tour event, at this stage.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
There are a few promising young spinners around. Sodhi is one of them, Nethula looks decent at times, and I believe that there are more on the fringes of first class teams from what I've been hearing.

Question is, how do we prevent these players from becoming Bruce Martin? I ask that with complete respect to the guy, good stalwart and all, but looking back at a 10 year career it doesn't set the world on fire. same can probably be said of Jeets - has a nice action, a good stock delivery, just never really developed beyond that level.

It just seems as though the pitches and the domestic coaching will never let us get these guys beyond promising. Hopefully Littlejohn and Buchanan think outside the box on this one. Can we send them to Sri Lanka for a season or something?

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Good return by Kuggeleijn, after being dropped for a few matches. I reckon Siddons is better off rotating 2 of Tugaga, Firday, and Kuggeleijn to partner Gillespie. Which is what he might be doing now anyway. With no decent 'A' cricket provided by Wellington, it is a big step from club cricket to back-to-back 4 day cricket for these guys (as Siddons has mentioned in the Dom).

So Friday in for Tugaga next round ......

thierry henry

International Coach
Question is, how do we prevent these players from becoming Bruce Martin? I ask that with complete respect to the guy, good stalwart and all, but looking back at a 10 year career it doesn't set the world on fire. same can probably be said of Jeets - has a nice action, a good stock delivery, just never really developed beyond that level.
How is Bruce Martin the example here? Probably the best performed NZ domestic spinner of his era. Would love to actually have a few more Bruce Martin's who can at least perform to a competent standard at domestic level, rather than picking blokes for international level who are proven failures at domestic level.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
How is Bruce Martin the example here? Probably the best performed NZ domestic spinner of his era. Would love to actually have a few more Bruce Martin's who can at least perform to a competent standard at domestic level, rather than picking blokes for international level who are proven failures at domestic level.
Sorry, probably not the best example as I don't often follow domestic cricket.

Sub for whoever you think is more appropriate.

There needs to be some plan for how we develop the promising spinners. I don't think there's enough expertise in the country ATM.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry, probably not the best example as I don't often follow domestic cricket.

Sub for whoever you think is more appropriate.

There needs to be some plan for how we develop the promising spinners. I don't think there's enough expertise in the country ATM.
I think as well practicing in nets that are artificial - makes it hard for budding spinners growing up.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Rumour has it that one of the better performing ‘‘foreign-Legion’’ Central Districts Stags has become such a hot commodity he now is seriously considering walking out on Central Districts at the end of the summer.

The player’s performances have been good enough for him to be bandied around as a possible Black Cap this season.

Considering the player was persevered with despite almost two years of poor performance ahead of other talented locals, a move back to the big city will be viewed by some as a major slap in the face.

However, it shouldn’t be surprising as part of my argument over the past few years against the Stags importing so many players from outside the region, has been that as soon as they are successful, they are likely to disappear back to the city.

Flem274*

123/5
Clearly it's Tarun Nethula.

Will be a big shame if Cachopa goes since I think this might be the final Skippy Summer and that leaves two massive holes in our middle order.

Anyway, read a very patronising article about the Stags success in the Dom Post today. Apparently despite being the best team in the competition you can't say we are the best team in the competition if your hand is on your heart.

edit: I suppose if we have a mass abandonment, now is our chance to steal Harry Boam.

Last edited:

Blain

U19 Captain
^^ Beat me too it.

**** I wouldnt mind if you do take Boam, should be batting at 5 imo. With guys like Elliott, Papps, Murdoch and Woodcock pushing the best up and comer down the order, he deserves more. Not saying any of those guys are bad players, just are a bit past it in terms of making the test team.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Clearly it's Tarun Nethula.

Will be a big shame if Cachopa goes since I think this might be the final Skippy Summer and that leaves two massive holes in our middle order.

Anyway, read a very patronising article about the Stags success in the Dom Post today. Apparently despite being the best team in the competition you can't say we are the best team in the competition if your hand is on your heart.

edit: I suppose if we have a mass abandonment, now is our chance to steal Harry Boam.
Leaves more room for a Greg Hay return though!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, they might as well have just named him. Couldn't make it any more obvious.
I actually thought of Chops immediately but it could be Nethula too I guess; it's not as clear cut as I first imagined. I just didn't think Nethula fit in with the idea of the guy being poor when he first arrived from Auckland and then getting better lately, because if anything Nethula performed better when he first arrived at CD than he is now.