• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Decent day for Wellington. Hopefully Wheater delivers ND some runs tomorrow though. Needs to justify his position in the team, I'd think.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Not sure when test squad announced, but picking up from Kippax comments probably ridiculously early.

Anyway, IMO today is a huge day in Daniel Flynn's career, could shape his next few years. Will watch with interest .....

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes although my faith in Flynn is wavering with this current 'dasher' approach, I would still like to see him given as run as NZ opener, particularly if McCullum is not going to open.

Aside from any other reasons I don't really want to see Fulton and Guptill open together because they're too similar. Watched Fulton's runs against CD from last round, plus a few other highlights. His foot movement may have improved a touch but he still is very much:
Plan A - Camp on the front foot, plan to step forward and use height to hit through the line. This generally works pretty well against 130km/h domestic bowlers. Even so I did see him get out bowled or caught behind a couple of times when the ball was moving early.
Plan B - When facing someone quicker i.e. Mathieson, Plan A doesn't work so well. Fortunately Mathieson isn't particularly accurate so Fulton camped on the back foot and, when he's looking for it, plays the pull nicely.
Plan C - I just don't know what Fulton's going to do when he has to face fast bowlers that bowl just short of a length on or outside offstump and move the ball away.

Guptill displays some of the above characteristics too. I'm pretty sure they opened together in Adelaide against Australia a few years ago and I was there to watch - both were forced onto the back foot by the quick bowlers and then it was only a matter of time.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Aside from any other reasons I don't really want to see Fulton and Guptill open together because they're too similar. Watched Fulton's runs against CD from last round, plus a few other highlights. His foot movement may have improved a touch but he still is very much:
Plan A - Camp on the front foot, plan to step forward and use height to hit through the line.
Yes, this is exactly what they do. Learn to read the length FFS.

Even when Guptill's trying to block, he still does the same thing except without the follow through.

Last edited:

Immenso

Next Wednesday the test squad, so yeah, we're basically touring our own country. (Hesson likes those ducks in a row. Drowsy saddos who make horse noises and lose their train of thought, gtfo).

Guptill hadn't debuted when Fulton played in Adelaide, Redmond and How opened.

Doug Bracewell, 7/35 vs. Canterbury - YouTube
Good work Doug (and good work Kippax). Better performance than I had initially judged after viewing the wickets only.
Brownlie's dismissal reminiscent of his dismissal to Armel (bowled) in the last round.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Next Wednesday the test squad, so yeah, we're basically touring our own country. (Hesson likes those ducks in a row. Drowsy saddos who make horse noises and lose their train of thought, gtfo).

Guptill hadn't debuted when Fulton played in Adelaide, Redmond and How opened.
I must be thinking of the ODI then

Blain

U19 Captain
Is Daryl Mitchell a gun? Had a pretty solid start to his carrer. Is he another in the Boam/Neesham/Anderson mould? Interested to hear peoples thoughts on him.

Mike5181

International Captain
Averaging 42/43 with the bat, and low 20s with the ball. Not exactly a bad start to a first-class career.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah Howsie will talk up his bowling and tell you otherwise, but here he is trying to pull Cachopa -
Northern Districts 2012/13, "****ed Right Off the Bat" - YouTube

There he is again trying to loft Marty Kain down the ground -
Marty Kain - YouTube

How do we avert the Fulton selection, is there any faint chance? Perhaps there should be a video making his ****ness conveniently easy to witness, then tweeted to Fleming, hopefully on to McCullum.

Jacob Duffman ‏@DrDeath32
@CamBorgas remember me? I'm probably a reoccuring nightmare. Jacob Duffy vs. Borgas, HRV Cup Final - YouTube
:cool:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think Flynn has done enough to warrant a proper go as test opener now. Certainly a better choice than Fulton.

Whether the selectors see it that way, I'm not sure. It does seem likely that they were involved in his decision to switch to opening though. If they were, he's certainly delivered.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nick Beard 125*!

Wish I'd known Otago weren't at all Rutherford dependant, I could've bet with a lot more confidence against this Auckland bowling attack.

Immenso

It's also a huge couple of days in Bruce Martin's career. Was he leading wicket taker before going in SA tour? But struggled for wickets since he returned.

Included some marathon spells when teammates crying off injured. But not been able to knock people off. Night watchman getting a ton today surely doesn't help.

Howsie

International Captain
Is Daryl Mitchell a gun? Had a pretty solid start to his carrer. Is he another in the Boam/Neesham/Anderson mould? Interested to hear peoples thoughts on him.
Yep, batting all rounder. He wouldn't have the pace Anderson or Neesham can generate but bowling big outswingers at 125-130 sure is handy. As I said a page or two back I reckon he's been underused but given Anderson is around that is probably fair enough.

He doesn't have the same natural ability Anderson does with the willow but he's probably a lot more solid this point in their careers. I realise Kippax just posted a video of him hitting Cachopa into the air but he probably has the best pull shot in the ND squad, get's onto it really quick.