• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I just watched Rutherford's boundaries on the vault. He had already scored a hundred before he hit a 4 off anyone other than Verma or Arnel. Bizarre. And his boundaries weRe looking really classy until I'd guess about the 80 run mark and started to edge a lot of 4s through slip and gully. Starting again the second day?

I also watched the first 30 or 40 balls straight to see again how solid he is, or isn't, early in his innings. Cover drove his first ball for 4, had a very close LBW 3rd ball, but then on was solid.

BTW, anyone know who will open next few games when he is away? Bracewell elevated up the order? Or the older Duffy?

Last edited:

Immenso

Ugh, have now watched Flynn's first morning effort. Awful.

First ball hooked for 4, second ball attempted cbf Ryder pull from a metre outside off which he toe-ended through gully (off Soper). Then Duffy smacks him in his guts the next 2 balls, before he gets a leg bye 4 and starts to settle down. Until Butler and Wells come on, edged Butler twice, Wells got close to trapping him 2 other times until he finally achieved just that.

32 runs off 40 balls.

I've been an advocate of Flynn opening. But Is this a guy who wants to open because he sees an opportunity, or a guy told to open. I'm sure even Mark Richardson could bat a little like Gordon Greenidge at domestic level if wanted to, but what's the point? Yes, we know you're not so dour at do domestic level, but do you ****ing want this or not?

Last edited:

Immenso

I hope the umpires, and their boss also use the video vault. Some pretty dodgy LBWs I notice in Plunket Shield -which to an eye used to watching televised cricket where decisions are scrutinized by DRS etc just don't look right. International imprinting improved/adjusted pretty quickly once new technology allowed/made them to adjust to the 'new reality' of what hawyeye etc said was and wasn't out.

No dissent though, apart from batsmen taking a good while to leave the crease.

Immenso

Looks to me like Sodhi got two with his wrong-un this match. Craig bowledin first innings (I was expecting another lefty bowled through the gate from out of the rough), but hard to pick up from camera angle. Then Rutherford stumped in second innings.

Immenso

I'll just continue talking to myself, while you girls squabble like a pack of hyenas over Anton Devcich's still very alive carcass.

I watched Carl Cachopa's short first Innings v Auckland, and he actually ducked a good Chris Martin bouncer!

I can't be arsed going through his second innings as he is starting against spinners ...

I also watched a week or so ago one of his innings in the first post-Xmas Plunket Shield match v Canterbury just to see how he would handle the bouncer. But despite Ellis playing, no one tested him. Only one bouncer, from McCone, which had him going into what looked like a brace-and-take it position to me, but ended up being a good foot down legside.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I also watched a week or so ago one of his innings in the first post-Xmas Plunket Shield match v Canterbury just to see how he would handle the bouncer. But despite Ellis playing, no one tested him. Only one bouncer, from McCone, which had him going into what looked like a brace-and-take it position to me, but ended up being a good foot down legside.
Yep the tactical side of the Shield is what you'd expect when the lead actors are getting $60k I guess. Plus the fact it's just not the done thing these days, to try and play tennis like Hingis rather than Serena, if you get what I mean.

You see it in the way they just keep feeding Rutherford's strength, his point through cover scoring zone is so monotonous. If no-one in the comp except Wells can get the red ball to swing, bowl around the wicket to him, let's see him squeeze a back of a length delivery off a fourth stump line then. The way he tries to back away to spinners to get it through that zone is such an opening to exploit, and yet Sodhi spends a good amount of time bowling over the wicket to him instead. Kippax isn't old himself, but it really is that 'got my mp3 player going, in my own little world' stuff tbh.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Ugh, have now watched Flynn's first morning effort. Awful.

First ball hooked for 4, second ball attempted cbf Ryder pull from a metre outside off which he toe-ended through gully (off Soper). Then Duffy smacks him in his guts the next 2 balls, before he gets a leg bye 4 and starts to settle down. Until Butler and Wells come on, edged Butler twice, Wells got close to trapping him 2 other times until he finally achieved just that.

32 runs off 40 balls.

I've been an advocate of Flynn opening. But Is this a guy who wants to open because he sees an opportunity, or a guy told to open. I'm sure even Mark Richardson could bat a little like Gordon Greenidge at domestic level if wanted to, but what's the point? Yes, we know you're not so dour at do domestic level, but do you ****ing want this or not?
Good post. I've been advocating Flynn open for NZ too, however his deciding that he wants to be a dasher does not fill me with joy or confidence.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I watched Carl Cachopa's short first Innings v Auckland, and he actually ducked a good Chris Martin bouncer!
You actually made me look that up with the filter, WAC. Periscope still shooting up, most likely still denying there's even a problem.

If he gets hot again, I'm going to need a volunteer to send a crackpot tweet and video to Steven Finn, just before the Queenstown match.

Attachments

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Press release from SteveNZ Auckland Cricket:

Auckland Cricket said:
Suburbs New Lynn opener Michael Barry could be the latest player to make the step up to Aces level with his naming in the squad to play the Firebirds in the next round of the Plunket Shield.

The other changes to the Aces squad for the game in Wellington are the return of Blackcap Kyle Mills from international duty and batsman Anaru Kitchen from injury. Tim McIntosh and Reece Young are the players to miss out on selection from last week’s game against the Stags.

Barry has earnt his spot in the Aces line-up after putting together solid performances at the Provincial A tournament in Lincoln and has already posted over 500 runs in club cricket this season.

The Aces face a team that lies one place below them in sixth and need to get maximum points from the game to keep alive their slim hopes of a Plunket Shield crown. The game also marks the start of almost a full month’s worth of games on the road for the Aces.

Coach Paul Strang is hoping that the Aces can make this game the start of a journey up the points table as well.

otagoman

School Boy/Girl Captain
What about an out of there suggestion for the black caps. Select players solely for a maximum of 2 forms of cricket, that way you dont get 20/20 skills interferring with tests (still allow players focussing on tests/1 dayers to play domestic 20/20 and IPL for financial reasons).

So a test team of something like

Guptill
Rutherford/Flynn
Williamson
Taylor
McCullum
Brownlie
Watling
Vettori/Martin
Bracewell
Southee
Boult

A one day team of

Guptill
Ryder/Watling
Williamson
Taylor
McCullum
Franklin
Neesham/Anderson
McCullum
Mills
Southee
McClenaghan

A 20/20 team of

Ryder/Devcich
Ronchi
Franklin
de Grandhomme
Munro
Anderson
Noema-Barnett/Devcich
Neesham
McCullum
Kuggeleign
McClenaghan

the 20/20 side would focus around big hitters with high strike rates, kuggs would be my 2nd strike bowler due to his ability to bowl slower balls

otagoman

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well, with Williamson, Taylor, McCullum, and Brownlie your middle order, it limites you to 4 bowlers....with Williamson the part timer, so there isnt really room to bring in another bowling option....unless you play someone like Wheeler or Henry instead of Vettori/Martin and give Williamson the spin bowling role