• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
That's Carl who wears every short ball like a trooper. This video's of the more brazen and porcine younger brother. A very willing player of the hook shot this one, a bit too willing.

Flem274*

123/5
Craig Cachopa looks like the most awkward batsman ever, especially his stance. I reckon both of his brothers look more fluent and natural, even if Carl can't play a bouncer.

Howsie has a great eye for talent though, even if he has an irrational hate for the 30+ brigade, so we'll see I guess.:p

Craigchopa and Dusan Hakaraia will hopefully get given some more responsibility next season though since Auckland have a few guys nearing the end of their careers.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Craig Cachopa, 145 vs. Central Districts - YouTube

You know what, considering Craig's 21, Howsie wasn't just being Howsie. Best part is when he starts pounding his straight drive about 1:30 in, sending Small and Jarvis down the ground.
Looked fairly unorthodox and sketchy until that 1.30 mark as you mentioned, when he does a few glorious drives. Seriously, haven't seen a decent straight/on-drive like that in a while. Looks pretty tight once he gets going.

Has an 'interesting' diagonal bat defense in that first half too...

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Has an 'interesting' diagonal bat defense in that first half too...
Has a bit of that backlift-towards-gully thing that many modern players (esp limited overs players) do. A little similar to Guptill in that can hit nice on drives from balls on offstump but it can also cause problems.

Looks decent and hits the ball well but I don't know that international quality is necessarily exuding from every pore.

NZTailender

Looks decent and hits the ball well but I don't know that international quality is necessarily exuding from every pore.
Not yet. He's still raw, some batting coaching and I could see him in the international arena in 2-3 years (not incl. T20s where he'll probably play this year...)

Meridio

International Regular
Has a bit of that backlift-towards-gully thing that many modern players (esp limited overs players) do. A little similar to Guptill in that can hit nice on drives from balls on offstump but it can also cause problems.
Yes, this. He has a 'choke' grip, which is becoming more and more widely coached - basically it's very bottom-handed, which means his backswing will always go out towards gully. It does give a lot of power, since you are holding the bat so strongly with your bottom hand - particularly in driving and pulling - but it means that you're always defending with hard hands, and across the ball (i.e. bat coming down in the line of gully to mid-on) instead of through it.

He's a talented player, and has an appetite for runs (scored very heavily the last few club seasons), but is a long long way from being the finished article. Needs at least another big season before we anoint him as the new Saviour of NZ Cricket.

Flem274*

123/5
It's probably going to be a losing cause but Mitchell has twin fifties in this match to go with his previous scores, and he's been the only ND batsman to rack up some runs this game (could have been dropped ten million times I suppose but hey ND can't be fussy atm). I haven't seen much of him but he looks pretty strong on the front foot, and he can bowl. Will hopefully be a good player for ND going forward.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Ian Anderson is the worst. The perpetrator with that pathetic Jesse and gambling story, and now calling the dire Daryl Mitchell a genuine performer. And Yovich, as great a bloke as he is, a Test option. Good thing his target readership are cows and drunks.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
CD 108
Otago 95

CD have to win their remaining points from Matt Henry and Southee(?) now ftr. Otago fortunate enough to get Quinn, Martins, Kuggs.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Didn't Howsie rate Mitchell? Can't remember.
So happy to see Mitchell rack up a decent innings, he was insane for the Valley during the Hawke Cup last season, racked up a few 100's against some pretty handy attacks. Scored 120 odd not out against a Hamilton attack featuring Mathieson, Verma, Baker and Scott and his team struggled to make 200. Quality bat and a bloody decent bowling option.
He's da bomb.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Looks like CD skipper Noema-Barnet noticed Craig Cacopa's heavy bottom hand, judging by where he was fielding today.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
"Bet Hakaraia doesn't think I'm too floaty this year, ****" - Small.

Mathieson should've headed north rather than south as things have panned out. Quinn on tarmac, it just isn't a good use of anyone's time.

NZTailender

I see Ryder got Tastled, for his customary 30-odd off as many deliveries.

Seriously wtf Jesse. You're a fat ****, where's your hunger for runs eh?