• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Mike5181

International Captain
2nd FC game just started

live scoring here

Rutherford playing, Wagner 12th man, so more bowling for Wells / Woodcock / Worker. Boult was in the squad shown on Cricinfo but not playing for some reason.

Important game for Tom Latham and Neil Broom, another good score and they could move ahead of Brownlie to be the 2nd reserve test batsman (behind 1st reserve Watling, and assuming Ryder not considered).

Looks like India A are rotating their squad, a couple getting their first (and only) game of the tour.

(edit - bingo !!! was typing my post at the same time as Immenso)
Yeah, I hope Broom scores a decent amount of runs.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Arnel still doing enough to suggest he could be effective, but really we know he isn't.

Has cricket in NZ ever been so poor? I actually ff through sports news that feature the black caps. In fact I was | --- | close to writing Black Craps.

Sigh.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
India A treating the under-powered NZ A bowling line-up with appropriate ease. This selection It’s a bit of an insult to pie-charts everywhere. Although pies may be appropriate.

Luke Woodcock bowling 8 overs on day 1. I doubt he would bowl 8 overs even for Wellington on the first day of FC match at this stage of the season.

Opportunity. Wasted.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
While I'd like to see Boult playing, I can understand why he's been left out. He's a test regular for New Zealand afterall. It'd be like India A including Umesh Yadav (although iirc we have played Martin in A level First Class matches before). Still I'm gutted with the choice of seamers. I can understand including one or two journeyman in the A team, but I'd like to see a youngster in there as well. Is Bevan Small injured again? If not, it's a real pity that he wasn't included in the squad.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I think we need to implement the 'Arnel test', similar to the 'Sinclair test' from a while ago. If a domestic bowler is not able to outperform Arnel this domestic season then they shouldn't be considered for the NZ side. Occasional exceptions for promising bowlers such as Doug Bracewell.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I think we need to implement the 'Arnel test', similar to the 'Sinclair test' from a while ago. If a domestic bowler is not able to outperform Arnel this domestic season then they shouldn't be considered for the NZ side. Occasional exceptions for promising bowlers such as Doug Bracewell.
Like the Rohrer Test?

Mike5181

International Captain
Is the Sinclair test the same as the Arnel test, just with batting performances instead? If so, not many batsmen in New Zealand will be eligible for the test team. We'd be using that 'promising' excuse most of the time.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Is the Sinclair test the same as the Arnel test, just with batting performances instead? If so, not many batsmen in New Zealand will be eligible for the test team. We'd be using that 'promising' excuse most of the time.
Yeah, none of McCullum, Taylor or Ryder would've met the Sinclair test when they came into the team. Williamson probably just about did though.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't PEWs have some ranking system that essentially penalised Sinclair's average for the number of times he'd failed at international level? If a domestic player still couldn't beat that adjusted-down average then they weren't up to it.

Anyway, less about numbers, it's more of a guideline - when any of us think of someone who has been tried and failed at international level (say How, McKay, Flynn, even Franklin), the bar they must reach in domestic cricket to be considered again for NZ becomes that much higher. Can't merely have a good season and get back in - you need to absolutely dominate.

vandem

International 12th Man
... Also I would have thought giving T Boult a game in one of these matches would have been a decent build up for him to the tests in a month v Sri Lanka.
see this Stuff story

... Of those in contention for the [Sri Lanka] tour but not playing in Lincoln or returning from the World T20 in Sri Lanka, [...] left-arm speedster Trent Boult is managing a minor groin injury. However, Boult is expected to be fit for selection.

vandem

International 12th Man
Apparently there will be a renewed focus on 'A' tours.
Interesting quote in this story: "Littlejohn said attacking left-arm quick Neil Wagner was left out of the playing XI yesterday, partly to see how the remaining pace bowlers fared without a spearhead." Fair enough comment for Arnel, but this shows how he rates Andy McKay ...

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, Flynn has been assured of his place in the Sri Lankan Tests.

Franklin vs. Jeets it is then, Athlai and Kippax obvs wanted Franky and Jeets.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting quote in this story: "Littlejohn said attacking left-arm quick Neil Wagner was left out of the playing XI yesterday, partly to see how the remaining pace bowlers fared without a spearhead." Fair enough comment for Arnel, but this shows how he rates Andy McKay ...
This still continues to **** me that someone with nil cricketing background gets to have an opinion.

Howsie

International Captain
Rutherford 95* at the moment, his last four first class games before this one

107, 118
4, 39
33, 67

Quite some run for someone who hadn't scored a run in his first five games.