• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I was wondering what guys like Southee, Boult, Williamson etc averaged in the Plunket Shield. So I did a bit of research and came up with some of our best 25 and under cricketers:

Kane Williamson (22): 1753 @ 60.44 + 34 @ 37.55
Collin Munro (25): 1108 @ 58.31 + 25 @ 33.12
Craig Cachopa (21): 469 @ 52.11
Hamish Rutherford (23): 1256 @ 40.51
Jeet Raval (24): 2021 @ 38.13
Will Young (20): 376 @ 37.60

Matt Henry (21): 37 @ 18.51
Tim Southee (24): 87 @ 23.11
Trent Boult (23): 73 @ 24.39
Dean Bartlett (25): 21 @ 24.85
Adam Milne (20): 29 @ 26.41
Ben Wheeler (21): 36 @ 28.47
Bevan Small (20): 17 @ 28.52

Pretty good list for the bowlers.
I wouldn't have guessed some of those young guys' averages would be anywhere near that good e.g. Milne, Bartlett, Munro. Didn't realise the CD bowling trio were still quite so young either.

PS: Dunno how Munro has 25 at 33.12 in internationalz :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I thought you were dubious about him opening? I'm sure you've posted something to that effect.
I think he was just dubious about him being thrown into the role at Test level without doing much of it at FC level first.

Howsie used to have a sig of a predicted future Test XI or a Supported Players XI or something that had Flynn opening, and that was well before any of us or the New Zealand selectors had really thought of it as a serious possibility. He was a Flynn opening pioneer. :p

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Good that Rutherford is making some runs. Don't know how well his style of play would work at the intl level though...

Athlai

Not Terrible
Kuggs has better batting than bowling stats at the moment but that'll be sure to turn around. Also Brodie could be thrown in there. Will play for NZ for sure one day if our current Test opener luck holds out.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think those Rutherford stats are actually right, ftr. I've got 1067 @ 35.56. Don't know why mine are different; did you accidentally include some NZ A games or something Mike?

EDIT: I didn't include today's game, but it still doesn't add up if I do.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Worker is only 23. Jesus has been around forever. Still **** though.

Totally going to be a Black Cap at age 34.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't think those Rutherford stats are actually right, ftr. I've got 1067 @ 35.56. Don't know why mine are different; did you accidentally include some NZ A games or something Mike?

Your numbers don't match his cricinfo profile.

Flem274*

123/5
If they pick Rutherford just give him a license. I don't think his technique is good enough for being the stodgy immovable object we've been fantasising about since Richardson retired.

Mike5181

International Captain

Yeah, wrongly assumed he hadn't played an NZ A game so just took his Cricinfo average. He's got 1157 @ 38.57 in the Plunket Shield so far.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Hmmmm. Ryder's whole innings is 7 balls of direness. Bugger. I had been resigned to him not playing for NZ anytime soon but then recent murmurings sounded like he was 'up for it' and I was expecting some serious batting again. He's definitely not up for it.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmmm. Ryder's whole innings is 7 balls of direness. Bugger. I had been resigned to him not playing for NZ anytime soon but then recent murmurings sounded like he was 'up for it' and I was expecting some serious batting again. He's definitely not up for it.
Did he play a crap shot? OR did he get a good nut?

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Did he play a crap shot? OR did he get a good nut?
It was a good ball, full in swinger from the left-armer.

But it's the way he is setting himself, to smash everything from ball one, and defense is the last-minute bail-out option. Slightly backing away and then walking into the shot. It's weird I reckon he payed better, stiller and more orthodox in the t20 games that were televised

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The thing with Ryder though, is that he's so absurdly gifted, that AS A NUMBER 6, I DON'T think his ******** batting style will really hold him back at thee intl level.