Page 113 of 221 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 3314

Thread: *Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Do you think Ronchi would be the difference in those tests?

I think he's a good player, but I just cannot bring myself to support the inclusion of someone who has ODIs for another country. The South Africans and Brownlie already made me uneasy, but they haven't represented other teams (even if only because they aren't good enough). It's an emotional thing, and in the end, emotion drives international sport.

I will never be able to support Ronchi with a silver fern on his cap.

edit: associate players don't have the stand down period (but it works the other way: Hamish Marshall had to wait to play for Ireland). It's a bit strange.
    Will he be the difference, know idea, but he could be. He might not even be selected. Where do you draw the line in selecting players? Do they have to be born in NZ to play for NZ?

Thanks for the info re morgan.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wright View Post
    Will he be the difference, know idea, but he could be. He might not even be selected. Where do you draw the line in selecting players? Do they have to be born in NZ to play for NZ?

Thanks for the info re morgan.
    Well I grumble about Wagner and co. but eventually accept it, but someone who has already played an international for another country is too much for me.

Definitely don't need to be New Zealand born.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Well I grumble about Wagner and co. but eventually accept it, but someone who has already played an international for another country is too much for me.

Definitely don't need to be New Zealand born.

Would be nice if we could get some decent foreigners into the team for a change rather than the mediocre ones we have been selecting, although I'm not sure which category Ronchi would fit into. I guess its one thing you can say about the Aussies they pick predominantly aussies (although they did select Grimmett).
    Last edited by Wright; 19-12-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Do we really want to be like England? The Morgan thing is still ick imo.

It will never sit right with me to see someone who has represented another country at 20/20-ODI-test level then represent us, not matter where they were born.

If all the first fives in NZ spontaneously combusted and Quade Cooper crossed the Tasman to play for us, would you be comfortable with that?
    No, but I wouldn't mind getting Owen Farrell

Another example could be Brad Thorn? He represented Australia & Queensland in League then decided to come back to NZ and became a great All Black. No one seemed too bothered. Rory Fallon played in all the England youth teams before switching in his mid 20's after they changed the eligibility rules.

The Ronchi issue just doesn't bother me much emotionally. For better or for worse he soon becomes eligible. So the question is whether he would improve the team or not.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Yeah, I think it's a fairly superficial reason to be opposed to a players inclusion. Provided that he's professionally committed to the bc's I couldn't care less.

Anyway, I support the kiwi league team no problems. Half of that lot couldn't point to new zealand on a map of new zealand. Ronchi is small beer by comparison.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 20-12-2012 at 03:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Meh, as long as Watling is given a fair crack I couldn't care less. I'd hate to see him given a couple of tests only to be shafted as soon as Ronchi qualifies. Especially seeing as he's practically changed his entire game for the good of New Zealand cricket.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    How much more of being left on the sideline are some of the Wellington players going to take? Not Wellington trolling, trying to be serious for a change. Boam, Pollard, Tugaga, Friday etc must be getting pretty bored.

And on the topic of Australians playing cricket in NZ, I know Hutchinson came here because he got an offer and has always wanted to play FC, but does he have any NZ aspirations or is he just here for the fun?

Looks a decent bowler from what I've seen. I'm surprised he hasn't played Aussie stuff since he bowls at a good clip with movement and accuracy, and since Aussie Shield wickets seem to be green he would be a weapon. Which team would he play for over there and who is ahead of him?

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    He's a Queenslander I think, and yeah he wants to play for New Zealand.

How much more of being left on the sideline are some of the Wellington players going to take? Not Wellington trolling, trying to be serious for a change. Boam, Pollard, Tugaga, Friday etc must be getting pretty bored.
    I think Tugaga will secure a starting place now with Gillespie out & Woakes being called up for England's ODI side. Would be nice to see Friday in action as he is meant to be faster.

Boam & Pollard should come in for the HRV Cup. Otherwise where could those guys go? I guess Canterbury?

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Luke "hung like a" Ronchi.

School Boy/Girl Captain Binkley's Avatar
    A question guys - how successful have the Friday night HRV matches been in terms of attracting crowds and interest? I thought it was an awesome idea, but I have caught very little action live (either on telly or at the ground) 'cos, well, its Friday night and there are lots of other things that keep dragging me away.

The crowd looked decent in a Hamilton game I saw. But I'm expecting it to look fairly dismal tonight! I'll probably do my bit and go along, but I think any atmosphere will be lost in the mass of empty seats. They're optimistically talking about a crowd of 5000 - that leaves 45,000 or so empty.

School Boy/Girl Captain sonnench's Avatar
    I'll be down there tonight, hoping for a good game.

Not going to have much sleep though, having to wake up for the t20 tomorrow morning.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Do we really want to be like England? The Morgan thing is still ick imo..
    There's a big difference in that Ireland don't play Test cricket. It hasn't worked out for him, but he was very specific that Test cricket was the reason he switched to England. He had hit the pinnacle of the level he was playing at; van Wyk and Ronchi didn't make it (or were discarded) in the level they played at!

Plus of course we kinda made Morgan: he's had ten years coaching at Middlesex. Same with Boyd Rankin: he wasn't anywhere near the bowler he is now until Warwickshire's bowling coach Graeme Welch got hold of him.

That said, Ronchi was always going to end up in the frame for New Zealand as long as every incumbent failed miserably with the bat! Watling might do OK yet, but if not, it's bound to be Ronchi next. As far as I'm concerned he has enough of a right to do so once eligible. Thems the rules!

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    He's a Queenslander I think, and yeah he wants to play for New Zealand.
    Yeah, he came out with that great contradictory quote in pre-season, something like "I've always been split 50/50 down the middle. But I've always taken my mums side and supported New Zealand". So...which is it?

EDIT: 2011 QSLD Grade averages: http://mycricket.cricket.com.au/comm...entityid=12832

Hutchinson's wicket tally is great, but average and notably economy rate is worse than those in the State picture. He's just behind people like Exelby and Fitzpatrick, but was never going to match the quality of Cutting and McDermott. Probably not too far behind the likes of Gannon, Walter, Feldman and Gale, but behind them nonetheless.
    Last edited by Cricket CoachDB; 20-12-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Thread Information