Page 11 of 221 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    Wasn't Neil Broom in the squad? Why are they playing CDG at number six when he's an option?
    Well, CDG averaged 44 (125 SR) in the Ford Trophy last season, 70 in PS, the pie loves that ****. Broom had a very poor PS and FT.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Well, CDG averaged 44 (125 SR) in the Ford Trophy last season, 70 in PS, the pie loves that ****. Broom had a very poor PS and FT.
    Don't worry. I didn't realise this was a one-day game.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Unfortunately, yes it is.
    As I've said before, I have found de Grandhomme's entire career in New Zealand to be rather odd. I was a very keen follower of Zimbabwean cricket around the time of Colin's move and the perception of him as a youth cricketer was that of a genuine, classy top-4 batsman. He opened more often than not and very good things were said about his technique and application. He did very little bowling at this point although I was aware that he bowled "a little bit of medium pace" and yet when he turned up in the Auckland side at first he was there for his bowling as much as his batting. That's what I first found surprising, but even now that he's become known more as a batsman-who-bowls-sometimes, he's an Afridi-style lower middle order basher. He doesn't even bat in the top four at club level very often does he?

Do you know if he made a conscious decision to change his game at some point or was I just given bad info about what sort of player he was from the start?
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Flynn got a beauty, Rutherford got one that popped out of the ordinary and I didn't see Brownlie's. But it showed that with a bit of application they could have got 200.
    Ah ok, didn't see those. Did see Ellis's runout - how poor was that?!

De Boorder=gun, get him in the top side.
    That innings was almost Van-Wyk-like . If De Boorder does stack up the runs this season he could make a decent case to be next in line ahead of Watling.

Boult and Wagner pretty unlucky not to have a wicket so far. Will be interested to see what McClenaghan looks like in comparison to those two.

edit: Hrmm first ball five wides
    Last edited by straw man; 18-09-2012 at 09:15 PM.

McClenaghan looks a definite rung or three below Boult and Wagner. Wonder if he could gain a bit more pace through the crease... may be restricted by previous injuries.

Boult Just bowled a testing delivery to one of the India lefties (Menaria) who had absolutely no idea and edged to slip.

Pace wise, how was Mitch? He always goes for runs but seems to get wickets. Looks like we have a chance here, the 5 bowler is the thing I'm worried about. CDC mixed with Worker I guess, will be interesting when they are brought on. Cant afford to drop the pressure or they will get a partnership underway.

Wow, Ellis just bowled one that absolutely took off. Wicket has mostly been fairly true from what I've seen, though with some decent seam movement. Still laughing at the shot from Menaria to Boult - the shot of many a young subcontinent batsmen on first trip to NZ, who has been spooked by the bounce and seam movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Blain View Post
    Pace wise, how was Mitch?.
    Hmm, 130-135 probably. Stream backs up an hour, Mitch bowling at the start of it right now I think.

Haha run out at non-striker's end!

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    As I've said before, I have found de Grandhomme's entire career in New Zealand to be rather odd. I was a very keen follower of Zimbabwean cricket around the time of Colin's move and the perception of him as a youth cricketer was that of a genuine, classy top-4 batsman. He opened more often than not and very good things were said about his technique and application. He did very little bowling at this point although I was aware that he bowled "a little bit of medium pace" and yet when he turned up in the Auckland side at first he was there for his bowling as much as his batting. That's what I first found surprising, but even now that he's become known more as a batsman-who-bowls-sometimes, he's an Afridi-style lower middle order basher. He doesn't even bat in the top four at club level very often does he?

Do you know if he made a conscious decision to change his game at some point or was I just given bad info about what sort of player he was from the start?
    I saw him from ball one in NZ and he was never a top four option - apart from club cricket, obviously. He's always been very decent technically but application as we all know is where it falls over sometimes. He came to Howick for one season in 2004-05, didn't say boo to a goose, scored not a lot of runs and took not many wickets and we all thought we'd seen the last of him. He came back, boomed a ridiculous 100 in a one-day club final and went on from there. His bowling was a conscious work-on from about 2008, and he improved quite a lot - took 20-30 wickets in a four-day season from memory - but got tendonitis in a knee and had to reel it in.

I dunno if you got bad info, he could well have been in Zimbabwe. He's definitely top four at club level, opens in limited overs and four in two-dayers when available. He's too good for that level by a long way. His bowling is also good at that level, bowls away shape and a slightly heavy ball which worked well at FC level until he was injured.

Unfortunately today was another typical Colin innings. 14 off 12, four off his first ball, almost played on with his second, then plays a horrific shot to hole out off a leggie on a green one. They picked him for NZ as they backed themselves to get the best out of him but it hasn't happened yet.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    McClenaghan looks a definite rung or three below Boult and Wagner. Wonder if he could gain a bit more pace through the crease... may be restricted by previous injuries.

Boult Just bowled a testing delivery to one of the India lefties (Menaria) who had absolutely no idea and edged to slip.
    That's no surprise - Mitch hasn't bowled in a match since March. He's supremely fit and carrying no injuries but is slightly rusty, and a bit bulkier (muscle wise, there's not an ounce of fat on him) than end of last season. 3-42 is a pretty damn first hitout for him, even if it was on a green one and luck went his way a bit. I was going to say he'll get quicker as the series goes on but he's off to South Africa with the Aces come next week.

And Blain, I take it the last C in CDC stands for cricketer...!

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Ah ok, didn't see those. Did see Ellis's runout - how poor was that?!

That innings was almost Van-Wyk-like . If De Boorder does stack up the runs this season he could make a decent case to be next in line ahead of Watling.
    I didn't see the Ellis runout, what happened? Derek did used to be a run-out merchant from what I remember...sneaky lil bastard.

Haha...that innings had more class than Kruger could ever hope to have. Great use of the crease, perfectly timed innings until he unfortunately nicked one.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    I didn't see the Ellis runout, what happened? Derek did used to be a run-out merchant from what I remember...sneaky lil bastard.
    Ellis pushed the ball straight to cover, de Boorder came screaming down the wicket looking for a quick single, Ellis didn't move until de Boorder was halfway down, and barely made it halfway before being run out. It's difficult to know for sure whose fault it was without sound. But it was Ellis' call to make, he was clearly hesitant and there was never really a run in it, so I'm gonna say Ellis had the right to feel aggrieved.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Ellis pushed the ball straight to cover, de Boorder came screaming down the wicket looking for a quick single, Ellis didn't move until de Boorder was halfway down, and barely made it halfway before being run out. It's difficult to know for sure whose fault it was without sound. But it was Ellis' call to make, he was clearly hesitant and there was never really a run in it, so I'm gonna say Ellis had the right to feel aggrieved.
    Ha, yeah I spose it is regular runout material, though you don't tend to see quite as many of this yes/no/start/stop/run/no/stay types of runouts theeeeese days. Was just a tad amusing

Page 11 of 221 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread Information