Cricket Player Manager
Page 107 of 221 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157207 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 3314

Thread: *Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar

Only Wellington could have such a bizarre happening.

Dig the road cone bra btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post

Peter Trego is awesome.
    I can't believe I missed this comment.

What did he do that was so awesome, other than making PEWs taste it, and just being his natural cool self, obviously
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

School Boy/Girl Captain Binkley's Avatar
    Yeah, I was going to post something about that. I remember watching Tugaga bowl just before all that crap happened and thought he looked a real talent. I just hope he has matured a little in the past two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubb View Post
    I may be leaving Invercargill to take up a job in Wellington in the new year.

Since I moved to NZ I haven't lived in large cities and don't know much about cricket there. I've played senior reserve in Timaru without success, done well in North Otago second grade and okay in Southland senior reserve. Ideally I'd want to keep playing at the same level I am at now. I know the standard here will be crap compared to Wellington.

I don't want to play 2020 bashy stuff, I want to play "proper" cricket with people who are taking it reasonably seriously, like village cricket in England, but I know I won't be good enough for the top grades.

There seems to be a wide range of different types of cricket played up there. I also know some of the guys at my potential new workplace play cricket so perhaps they will introduce me to a club but what can you guys tell me about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    HDS, Voltman, Bahnz, Meridio to comment
    They made a whole heap of changes to Wellington club cricket this season; I'm not there anymore so don't know exactly how they've panned out, and I think the structure has changed quite a lot. I think the top grade (Pearce Cup) now has about 12 teams in it, and then below that there's a Reserve grade with all those clubs' second teams (Heef to confirm). After that there's about six more grades, with a few smaller clubs thrown in, and a few local T20 leagues.

Pearce Cup is a decent standard, though having said that, when I was in Wellington there was a big gap between the top three teams and the rest. I'd say Southland Reserve etc. would be lower standard that Wellington Reserve grade, so you're probably best aiming a bit below that.

Obviously what club you join will depend on where you live, though make sure you follow the golden rule: don't join Easts.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meridio View Post
    Obviously what club you join will depend on where you live, though make sure you follow the golden rule: don't join Easts.
    Didn't you play for Easts? I'm sure Ch00baka will advocate signing for them to allow learning from Lance Dry.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Didn't you play for Easts? I'm sure Ch00baka will advocate signing for them to allow learning from Lance Dry.
    so true
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a man’s right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of one’s own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain one’s life and to keep the results of one’s own efforts.

School Boy/Girl Captain ch00baka's Avatar
    Beat me to it
    Scott Styris > You.

One of the few things I did know about Wellington club cricket is to avoid Lance Dry!

Thanks for the info guys.
    Last edited by Chubb; 18-12-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

Quote Originally Posted by Chubb View Post
    One of the few things I did know about Wellington club cricket is to avoid Lance Dry!
    I did wonder if you wanted to learn how to be the least popular person in Wellington club cricket (and most successful).

I would highly recommend Taita CC. Guaranteed to find a spot in a team there. Good bunch of guys too - especially now I'm not playing.

Oh, God no. Heeded your warning when I arrived in Wellington and stayed well clear. Biggest bunch of ****s I've ever played against - plenty of teams have one or two ****s, whereas Easts have several.

Quote Originally Posted by Meridio View Post
    Oh, God no. Heeded your warning when I arrived in Wellington and stayed well clear. Biggest bunch of ****s I've ever played against - plenty of teams have one or two ****s, whereas Easts have several.
    Henceforth, this date will be marked in my calendar. Someone heeded my advice! Huzzah.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    People keep talking about how improved the bowling is at the moment, but the stats don't really bear that up. Currently, of the top 10 wicket takers, only 3 have averages under 30 (Butler, Arnel and Nethula). The quality young quicks (Milne and Wheeler in particular) have done better, but obviously have only played a couple of games due to injury.

Great point, exactly what I was thinking. It's maybe a case of having to come back closer to the season's end before the quality stands out. At the moment, a bit like the batting averages, it just looks a mess.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post

What did he do that was so awesome, other than making PEWs taste it, and just being his natural cool self, obviously
    Ask Morne Morkel Somerset v South Africans, Taunton, 1st day Report : Somerset v South Africans, Taunton, 1st day: South Africans given testing opening day | Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

I don't know what PEW's stand's for, mind..

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    And Auckland complete their come-back and take the win while Canterbury choke.

After seeing a bit of how Ryder's been playing lately, I think if he does come back to the NZ side (no certainty imo) then he should bat 6 and be our cash-in merchant. He's not going to have the will to take responsibility and face the music against top fast bowlers with the new ball, but if he comes in at 180/4 or 200/4 then he might smash a hundred and ensure we get past 400. Although 'downhill skiiers' are rightly derided on this forum, this does help win matches. Flip side of course is that he'll often come in at 80/4, throw the bat and we'll soon be 90/5.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post

Made some awesome comments when mic'd up during a T20 game. Put all the regular commentators to shame.
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Thread Information