• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
I know that Shane Bond has a very negative opinion of 2 day cricket, particularly it's affect on spin bowler (who generally are brought on late on the day, with rubbish field settings, so that the batting side can have a slog and make an early declaration).
As a leg spinner in Auckland's Premier club cricket, this holds true. The captaincy of spin in this country is geared towards a containing, almost holding style bowler which is why we see a general lack of attacking spin option around the country, particularly leg spin.

IMO there is not enough patience or guidance in terms of the mental side and tactical side of spin bowling, and too much emphasis on the technical side of things.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I know that Shane Bond has a very negative opinion of 2 day cricket, particularly it's affect on spin bowler (who generally are brought on late on the day, with rubbish field settings, so that the batting side can have a slog and make an early declaration).
To be clear, when I said 2-day cricket in my post. I mean a 2 innings not a 4 innings match. One team bats for a 100 overs then next team bats for 100 overs. Still limits spinners, but none if this declaration crap.

Just thinking of ways to get harder meaningful cricket but in a way that fits an amateur environment. The other option is make the pitches crap again and play over 3 days ...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol @ Oram's return.

4 off 6 with the bat in the slog overs & 0/42 off 3 overs with the ball.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Do we at least agree that one week of white ball cricket is totally inadequate for the A tournament? At least organise a 3 day game each before Xmas (labour weekend) and after Xmas ( one of the anniversary weekends) as well as the Lincoln week in early Jan.

BTW. Still no O'Donnell for Auckland U19s

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
A tournament should be concurrent to the entire domestic season with games taking place on the cities secondary pitch/oval. Ideally. Ain't gonna happen, though.

Blain

U19 Captain
Yeah the money and sponsorship side is pretty tough to have a full time A comp. But I hope that soon they can develop a 3 day comp, say where the 6 teams play each other once during the season. 1 long weekend a month shouldnt be too much of a problem, and benefit all involved..

Then they can keep the slap and tickle cricket for the Summer Holidays.