• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peter McGlashan - Retirement

James

Cricket Web Owner
No doubt some of you would have heard that Peter McGlashan today announced his retirement. Below is the Facebook post from the Northern Districts cricket association.

I contacted Peter earlier today, and he's happy to answer some questions from fans that we'll put together in an article for the frontpage of the site.

Please respond with some suggested questions and we'll choose the best ones to ask him :)

Northern Knights said:
After 180 First-Class, One-Day & Twenty20 matches for Northern Districts in the last eight seasons, it's the end of an era today with the retirement from all cricket of Peter McGlashan. We are really sad to be losing one of our most accomplished, popular and innovative wicketkeeper-batsmen, but we are also absolutely thrilled for Pete who leaves us for a new, full-time role as Director, Sport and Wellbeing for the Glenn Family Foundation - a fantastic opportunity where Pete will be making a big difference to people's lives, starting with an $8 million series of community projects in Otara.

and the full press release http://northernknights.yahoo.co.nz/ndca/news/peter-mcglashan-retires-from-all-cricket

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
The reverse sweep off Umar Gul ftw

I was at the ground for his 50 vs India, but my memories of it have been wiped due to the trauma of Sehwag's innings which followed.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Good time to go I guess. A good career with a lot to be proud of. He could easily have been selected for NZ a few more times at one point but it didn't happen.

Community projects in South Auckland is something I've always been interested in too, seeing as I grew up there. From every time I've seen him on TV and writing Pete M seems to have the enthusiasm and drive to achieve a lot, and reading a bit about the foundation that's a great chance to make a difference. Good on him and all the best :)

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
An entertaining cricketer who had the ill-fortune of playing in the same era as McCullum. Wish him all the best for his future.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Will he continue to work with Aero on innovative cricket products?

Also just noticed this comment on Cricinfo:

"Posted by woodhaven24 on (July 23 2012, 06:39 AM GMT)
After Ian o brien, he is leaving nz. Also famish Marshall left, so I guess nz cricketer are not financially stable"

Sounds like we need to get a charitable appeal together for a Marshall brother. Obviously not getting paid enough by Gloucestershire to allow him to buy food.

Meridio

International Regular
Thought he came across really well in those articles he wrote for CW a few years ago. Sad to see him go in a way - thought he should have played more ODI/T20 cricket for NZ - but it looks like he's going to some very worthwhile work, so good luck to him.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also, further to my earlier question regarding innovative cricket products, what ideas does he have to help protect keepers from Boucher-esque injuries, or does he view the risk as part of the game (given that these injuries are seemingly very rare)?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I realise this is a question for him. But I predict he will talk about his baseball mask he wears.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Thanks for the thoughts guys, a set of questions have been sent to Peter and something should appear on the frontpage within the next few days :)

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Will he continue to work with Aero on innovative cricket products?

Also just noticed this comment on Cricinfo:

"Posted by woodhaven24 on (July 23 2012, 06:39 AM GMT)
After Ian o brien, he is leaving nz. Also famish Marshall left, so I guess nz cricketer are not financially stable"

Sounds like we need to get a charitable appeal together for a Marshall brother. Obviously not getting paid enough by Gloucestershire to allow him to buy food.
Well Iain O'Brien had to sell an 'i', the rights to capital letters and an apostrophe to put food on the table by the looks of things.