• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alphabetical World XIs

Howe_zat

Audio File
Some current XIs

John Anderson
Azhar Ali
Hasim Amla
Babar Azam
Umar Akmal+
Corey Anderson
Moeen Ali
Ravi Ashwin
Sean Abbott
Kyle Abbott
James Anderson

Kraigg Brathwaite
Joe Burns
Darren Bravo
Temba Bavuma
Jermaine Blackwood
Johnny Bairstow
Jos Buttler
Stuart Broad
Trent Boult
Jackson Bird
Devendra Bishoo

Alastair Cook
Stephen Cook
Nick Compton
Shiv Chanderpaul
Dinesh Chandimal
Hilton Cartwright
Dan Christian
Mark Craig
Pat Cummins
Nathan Coulter-Nile
Dushmantha Chameera

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Inzamam, Imran, Ijaz, etc are all copout selections imo. Second names only.
Second names, eh..... WG Grace, CG Greenidge, DG Bradman, CG Macartney...

Anyway, does Imran Khan Niazi count as an I, a K or an N? Is Inzamam-ul-Haq an I, a U or an H?

Shri

Mr. Glass
His last name in cricket was Khan. No one called him Imran Niazi. If we are going that way, the Sri Lankans should make things interesting.:p

andmark

International Captain
I:

Iyer, Shreyas
Iredale, Frank
Ingram, Colin
Irvine, Lee
Iqbal, Asif
Illingworth, Ray
Indrajitsinghji (wk)
Inveriarty, John
Irfan, Mohammad
Iverson, Jack
Ironmonger, Bert

Slim pickings tstl
I'd love it if this xi was not assisted by any sort of resources.

Jayro

U19 12th Man
:
Rohan kanhai, Rohit Sharma, Ricky Ponting, Rahul Dravid, Ross Taylor, Rishabh Pant, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Richard Hadlee, Richie Benaud, Ray Lindwall...... I choose two sub's as Richie Richardson and R. Bob Willis..... This will be my alphabetical eleven starting with the initial "R" ..... Decent bowling attack with few loops in the top order batting covered by the depth in it right to the number eleven.... Any more suggestions are welcome

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
could easily be 0/2 but otherwise decent enough lineup

Also, an actual alphabetical XI

Boycott
Cook
Compton
Dravid
Headley
Kallis
+Knott
Marshall
McGrath
Steyn
Warne (if he blows a fuse at being asked to bat below McGrath, then Murali at 10)

ataraxia

International Coach
Also, an actual alphabetical XI

Boycott
Cook
Compton
Dravid
Headley
Kallis
+Knott
Marshall
McGrath
Steyn
Warne (if he blows a fuse at being asked to bat below McGrath, then Murali at 10)
With the requirement that batting positions have to be what you'd normally select; so no Murali above Steyn, Compton should bat below Dravid, Headley, and Kallis:

Barnes
Boycott
Bradman*
Chappell
Compton/de Villiers/Dravid
Faulkner
Gilchrist +
Hadlee/Imran
Lindwall
Marshall
Murali/O'Reilly/Warne

Backwards, with no #3 bats apart from Sobers:

Woodfull*
Sutcliffe
Sobers
Pollock
two of:
McCabe/May/MoYo
Lindsay +
Imran
Hadlee
Grimmett
Ambrose

No Knott because he isn't a superior bat to Imran.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Rohan kanhai, Rohit Sharma, Ricky Ponting, Rahul Dravid, Ross Taylor, Rishabh Pant, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Richard Hadlee, Richie Benaud, Ray Lindwall...... I choose two sub's as Richie Richardson and R. Bob Willis..... This will be my alphabetical eleven starting with the initial "R" ..... Decent bowling attack with few loops in the top order batting covered by the depth in it right to the number eleven.... Any more suggestions are welcome
Kanhai didn't open much (or successfully)... if you allow R. Bob Willis, you could have R. Bob Simpson to open. Otherwise there's Roy Fredericks.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A:
Anwar | Amiss | Amla |
Azam | Abbas | Al Hasan |
Ames + | Akram* |
Ashwin | Akhtar | Ambrose

Close: Atherton, Amarnath, Azhar, Anderson, Adcock, Ahmed

The selection dilemmas came in the form of the middle order batsmen, but Azhar was never really an option. Shakib is a real strong character to come in at 6. Adcock and Anderson missed out to Akhtar. Great pace attack. Good balance in batting too.

B:
Barnes | Boycott | Bradman* |
Barrington | Border | Botham |
Bairstow + | Benaud |
Barnes | Bumrah | Bishop

Close: Boon, Boucher, Bedi, Bond, Bedser, Broad

The batting line-up pretty much wrote itself and is a real winner. The real problems were in leaving out Bedser, Broad and Bedi, who all have a solid case for being in the side. Pretty good bowling attack. Bumrah and Bishop as the pace duo complemented by the spin of Barnes and Benaud, with some Botham magic sprinkled on top.

C:
Cook | Chappell, I | Chappell, G |
Crowe* | Clarke | Compton |
Cameron + |
Cummins | Croft | Chandra | Clark

Close: Chanderpaul, Cowdrey, Cairns, Cowie, Clarke

Very solid middle order. Jock Cameron from South Africa was a very fine keeper, and a good batsman as well with 10 fifties. Cairns unlucky to miss out. Clark vs Clarke vs Cowie a selection dilemma too.

D:
Dempster | Dexter | Dravid* |
De Silva | de Villiers | Duleepsinghji |
de Kock + | Dev | Davidson |
de Villiers | Donald |

Close: Donnelley, Dujon, Dhoni, Doshi

Not too many options but the bowling line up looks great with four top class pacers. Lots of stroke makers in the side as well. Duleepsinghji vs Donnelley is a bit of a coin toss.

F:
Fredericks | Fingleton | Fry |
Fleming* | Flower + | Fletcher |
Faulkner | Flintoff |
Fraser | Fleming | Ferris

Close: Tip Foster, Fleetwood-Smith, Freeman

A side heavy on all-rounders with Faulkner and Flintoff, and also Fry to some extent, offering great support to Fraser and Damien Fleming. Ferris will do what Ferris used to do.

G:
Gavaskar | Greenidge | Gooch* |
Grace | Gower | Greig | Gilly + |
Gillespie | Gupte | Garner | Grimmett |

Close: Goddard, Ganguly, Graveney, Gough, Gilmour, Gibbs

Wonderful opening pair of ice and fire. 5 Englishmen in this side. Number 6 was the head scratcher for me here. Graveney, Greig, or Goddard? I am a fan of Greig, so it was him. Two leggies.

H:
Hobbs | Hutton* | Headley |
Hammond | Harvey | Hussey |
Healy + | Hadlee |
Holding | Hall | Herath

Close: Hayden, Haynes, Hazare, Haddin, Harris

Fantastic batting line up. Incredible. Only problem here: Hussey or Hazare? Really good pace attack, but picking Hall over Ryno wasn't easy. Really strong team in all aspects.

J:
Jayasuriya | Jackson, A | Jones |
Jayawardene | Jardine* | Jessop |
Jayawardene+ | Jadeja
Johnson | Johnston | Jones

Close: Julien, Jackson S

Decent team. Bats deep with Ravindra Jadeja in at number 8, followed by Mitch Johnson. Not too many options available to be honest. Bowling is on the weaker side. Johnson, Simon Jones, and Gilbert Jessop as the pacers. Jadeja and Johnston as the spinners.

K:
Kirsten | Katich | Khan, Y |
Kallis | Kohli | Kanhai |
Knott + | Khan, I* |
Khan, Z | Kumble | Kasprowicz |

Close: Kalicharran

Again, not too many options, but the Khans saved the day here. A very good middle order, and some quite useful bowling with Imran leading the attack.

L:
Langer | Lawry | Leyland |
Lara | Lloyd* | Laxman |
Lindsay + | Lindwall |
Lillee | Laker | Larwood

Close: Lehmann, Labuschagne, Lohmann

Great bowling attack. Lohmann or Larwood? Difficult choice. Otherwise, good openers and a very solid middle order here. Strong team. Labuschagne close to selection.

M:
Mitchell | Morris | May |
Miandad | McCabe | Macartney |
Miller* |
Marsh + | Marshall |
Muralitharan | McGrath

Close: Merchant, Martyn, Mohammad

How do you leave out Martyn, Vijay Merchant, and Hanif Mohammad? This one was a tough decision on the batting front. On the bowling front, easy as pie. The best bowling attack here. Macartney plays a useful role in the side at number 6.

P:
Ponsford | Pujara | Ponting* |
Pollock | Pietersen | Paynter |
Pant + | Procter | Pollock |
Philander | Prasanna

Close: Prince, Prior, Pollock, Parfitt

Absolutely top notch middle order. The Pollocks dominate. A well rounded bowling attack too, though there is a lack of a fifth bowler. Ponting and KP to bowl some pies. Pant rushed in ahead of prior.

R:
Richardson, M | Richards, B | Richards, V* |
Root | Ranjitsinghji | Rice |
Russell + | Rhodes |
Reid | Roberts | Rabada

Close: Redpath, Richardson R, Reiffel, Ramadhin

Roberts, Reid, and Rabada are a good pace combination, with Rhodes as the spinner and Rice as the all rounder. Richie Richardson a notable omission for the legside OG at #5.

S:
Sutcliffe, H | Smith | Sanga |
Smith | Sehwag | Sobers* |
Stewart + |
Swann | Spofforth | Steyn | Southee

Close: Sutcliffe B, Simpson, Snow, Statham

Can I pick Sehwag at 5. Why not? Simpson missed out and Spofforth edged it over Snow. This is a complete side.

T:
Turner | Taylor | Trumper |
Tendulkar | Trott | Tyldesley |
Tallon + |
Trueman | Tyson | Tayfield | Turner

Close: Tillakarathane, Thorpe, Taylor R, Tate

Well rounded team, this one. A lot of variety in bowling. The biggest omission was Maurice Tate. I couldn't decide for a long time. Trueman is an automatic choice, of course. Would any of you leave out Tyson?

W:
Williamson | Worrell* | Walcott |
Weekes | Waugh | Woolley |
Watling + | Warne |
Willis | Wardle | Walsh

Close: Woodfull, Warner, Waugh M, Walters, Watson, Waite, Walker, Wagner

The most difficult team to select by far for me. Great batting, with names like Warner and Mark Waugh not included. Watson couldn't find a place in this side. Walsh and Willis to bowl pace with Woolley's support. Warne and Wardle as a spin tandem. Wagner is nearing a spot in the side.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I know there are differing views in these parts, but any list or database of cricketers names I have ever seen lists Pakistani players by their first names. So if you go to cricinfo or howstat or cricket reference books or anything like that then Imran Khan is listed under I, Wasim Akram under W etc. It's not really a question of preference or opinion as far as I can see - it's just how things actually are.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know there are differing views in these parts, but any list or database of cricketers names I have ever seen lists Pakistani players by their first names. So if you go to cricinfo or howstat or cricket reference books or anything like that then Imran Khan is listed under I, Wasim Akram under W etc. It's not really a question of preference or opinion as far as I can see - it's just how things actually are.
I just take it by surnames. Akram and Khan are surnames. Wasim and Imran are not.