• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alphabetical World XIs

bagapath

International Captain
Anwar, Saeed
Boycott, Geoff
Chappell, Ian (c)
Dexter, Ted
Edrich, Bill
Flower, Andy (wk)
Gregory, Jack
Hadlee, Richard
Illingworth, Ray
Johnston, Bill
Kumble, Anil

Lawry, Bill (c)
Morris, Arthur
Nourse, Dudley
O'Neill, Norman
Pietersen, Kevin
Ranjitsinghji, Kumar
Stewart, Alec (wk)
Tate, Maurice
Underwood, Derek
Vaas, Chaminda
Willis, Bob

Last edited:

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
dude awesome effort..I am sure it was not as easy as ABCD :)..3 players i would have preferred is

1) Under "C" Lord Learie Constantine -- All-rounder . Gives a balance to the side.
2) Under "A" i would take Attapattu out and put Amarnath.. Lala or even Mohinder that is.
3) Can we have Majid Khan under K instead of Katich or Younis ?

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
Zaheer Abbas should really be in the 'Z' team - not the 'A's - you have many more options for A and most reference works file Pakistani players under the first name anyway.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Anwar, Saeed
Boycott, Geoff
Chappell, Ian (c)
Dexter, Ted
Edrich, Bill
Flower, Andy (wk)
Gregory, Jack
Hadlee, Richard
Illingworth, Ray
Johnston, Bill
Kumble, Anil

Lawry, Bill (c)
Morris, Arthur
Nourse, Dudley
O'Neill, Norman
Pietersen, Kevin
Ranjitsinghji, Kumar
Stewart, Alec (wk)
Tate, Maurice
Underwood, Derek
Vaas, Chaminda
Willis, Bob

Andrew Strauss
Bill Woodful
Charlie McCartney
Doug Walters
Eddie Paynter
Farohk Engineer (wk)
Gubby Allen
Heath Streak
Ian Botham
Jimmy Anderson
Keith Miller (could possibly bat higher!!)

Len Hutton
Mark Taylor
Neil Harvey
Owais Shah
Peter May
Rod Marsh (wk)
Steve Waugh
Tom Richardson
Vic Marks
William "Bill" Johnston
Xavier Doherty

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Anwar, Saeed
Boycott, Geoff
Chappell, Ian (c)
Dexter, Ted
Edrich, Bill
Flower, Andy (wk)
Gregory, Jack
Hadlee, Richard
Illingworth, Ray
Johnston, Bill
Kumble, Anil

Lawry, Bill (c)
Morris, Arthur
Nourse, Dudley
O'Neill, Norman
Pietersen, Kevin
Ranjitsinghji, Kumar
Stewart, Alec (wk)
Tate, Maurice
Underwood, Derek
Vaas, Chaminda
Willis, Bob
Reverse Sweep :

Woodful (c)
Vishwanath G
Umar (Qasim)
Tendulkar
Sobers
Richards V
Prior (wk)
O'Reilly
Nissar
Marshall
Lillee

Switch Hit :

Khan Majid
Jardine (C)
Iqbal Asif
Headley
Gower
Flintoff
Evans Godfrey (wk)
Davidson
Chandra
Bishop
Ambrose

Looks like Woodful will win this time against Jardine but never discount the Bombay boy :)

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Refreshing some teams:

A: Anwar | Amiss | Amla | Abbas | Azharuddin | Amarnath | Ames + | Akram* | Ambrose | Ahmed, Mushtaq | Akhtar |
Close: Atherton, Atapattu, Anderson, Adcock, Alderman, Appleyard, Ajmal

The selection dilemmas in 'A' came in the choice of the spinner and the lower order batsmen. In the end, I went for Mushy ahead of Bob Appleyard and Ajmal. Both Atherton and Atapattu unlucky to miss out, as I thought them to be unsuitable number 6 bats. Amarnath is a real strong character to come in at 6. Adcock and Anderson missed out to Akhtar. Great pace attack. Good balance in batting too.

B: Barnes | Boycott | Bradman* | Barrington | Border | Botham | Boucher + | Benaud | Barnes | Bedser | Bond |
Close: Boon, Bailey, Bedi, Bishop

The batting line-up pretty much wrote itself and is a real winner. The real problems were in leaving out Bishop and Bedi, who both have a solid case for being in the side. Pretty good bowling attack. Bond and Botham as the pace duo complemented by the spin of Barnes and Benaud, and the Bradman-certified medium of Bedser.

C: Cook | Chappelli* | Chappell | Crowe | Compton | Chanderpaul | Cameron + | Croft | Clarke | Chandrasekhar | Cowie |
Close: Clarke, Cowdrey, Cairns, Clark (Stuart)

I couldn't find a good opener to partner Cook, so I went with the tenacious Ian Chappell, who I wanted as the skipper anyways. Very solid middle order. Jock Cameron from South Africa was a very fine keeper, and a good batsman as well with 10 fifties. Left out Stuart Clark to accommodate Cowie.

D: Dempster | Dilshan | Dravid* | Dexter | De Villiers | Donnelley | Dujon + | Dev | Davidson | Donald | Doshi |
Close: De Silva, Duleepsinghji, Dhoni

The first real head turner was when I had to leave out Aravinda De Silva. Perhaps he could replace Donnelley, or AB can take the gloves and he comes in for Dujon. Perhaps. The bowlers all picked themselves.

F: Fredericks | Fingleton | Fry | Fleming* | Flower + | Fletcher (Keith) | Faulkner | Flintoff | Fraser | Fleming | Freeman |
Close: Tip Foster, Finn

A side heavy on all-rounders with Faulkner and Flintoff, and also Fry to some extent, offering great support to Fraser and Damien Fleming. Freeman as the spinner.

G: Gavaskar | Greenidge | Grace | Gooch* | Gower | Greig | Gilchrist + | Garner | Gillespie | Grimmett | Gough |
Close: Ganguly, Graveney, Gambhir, Gupte, L Gibbs, Griffith

Wonderful opening pair of ice and fire. 5 Englishmen in this side. Number 6 was the head scratcher for me here. Gambhir, Ganguly or Greig? I am a fan of Greig, so it was him. Had to leave out two spin legends in Gupte and Gibbs. One of them to come on board on spin friendly pitches ahead of Goughy.

H: Hobbs | Hutton* | Headley | Harvey | Hammond | Hussey | Healy + | Hadlee | Holding | Hall | Herath |
Close: Hayden, Haynes, Hazare, Haddin, Hordern

Fantastic batting line up. Incredibe. Only problem here: Hussey or Hazare? I think Hussey bats well with the tail, so gave it to him. Really good pace attack. Herath over Hordern as spinner. Really strong team in all aspects.

J: Jayasuriya | Jackson (Archie) | Jones | Jayawardene | Jackson (Stanley) | Jardine* | Jessop | Jayawardene + | Johnson | Johnston | Jones (Simon) |
Close: Julien (Bernard), Javed (Aaqib)

Decent team. Bats deep, with Prasanna Jayawardene in at number 8, followed by Mitch Johnson. Not too many options available to be honest. Bowling is on the weaker side. Johnson, Simon Jones, and Gilbert Jessop as the pacers, with Stanley Jackson as support. Johnston as the slow bowler, with Jayasuriya as support.

K: Kirsten | Katich | Kanhai | Kallis | Khan (Younis) | Kallicharran | Knott + | Khan (Imran)* | Khan (Zaheer) | Kumble | Kasprowicz |
Close: Majid Khan, Kohli

Again, not too many options, but the Khans saved the day here. A very good middle order, and some quite useful bowling with Imran leading the attack.

L: Langer | Lawry | Laxman | Lara | Leyland | Lloyd* | Lindsay + | Lindwall | Lillee | Laker | Larwood |
Close: Lehmann, Lohmann

Great bowling attack. Lohmann or Larwood? Difficult choice. Otherwise, good openers and a very solid middle order here. Strong team.

M: Mitchell | Morris | May | Miandad | McCabe | Macartney | Miller* | Marsh + | Marshall | McGrath | Muralitharan |
Close: Merchant, Martyn, Hanif Mohammad

How do you leave out Damien Martyn, Vijay Merchant, and Hanif Mohammad? This one was a tough decision on the batting front. On the bowling front, easy as pie. The best bowling attack here. Macartney plays a useful role in the side at number 6.

P: Ponsford | Pujara | Ponting* | Pollock | Pietersen | Paynter | Prior + | Procter | Pollock (Shaun) | Prasanna | Pollock (Peter) |
Close: Prince, Philander

Absolutely top notch brilliant middle order. The Pollocks dominate. A well rounded bowling attack too, though there is a lack of he fifth bowler. Ponting and KP to bowl some pies.

R: Rhodes | Richards (Barry) | Richards (Viv)* | Richardson | Ranjitsinghji | Russell (Charles) | Rice | Russell (Jack) +| Ramadhin | Reid | Roberts |
Close: Mark Richardson, Redpath, Rae, Reiffel

Roberts, Reid, and Rice are a decent pace combination, with Ramadhin and Rhodes in a spin tandem. Charles Russell was a difficult choice, ahead of Redpath and Rae. Could pick Reiffel ahead of Ramadhin if another pacer is required.

S: Simpson | Sutcliffe | Sangakkara | Smith (Graeme) | Sehwag | Sobers* | Stewart + | Swann | Spofforth | Steyn | Snow |
Close: Bert Sutcliffe, Smith (Steve), Statham

Can I pick Graeme Smith at number 4 and Sehwag at 5. Why not? I didn't want to pick Steve Smith just yet. Spofforth just edged it over Statham.

T: Trumper | Turner | Taylor (Mark)* | Tendulkar | Tyldesley | Trott | Tallon + | Trueman | Tyson | Tayfield | Turner |
Close: Tillakarathane, Thorpe, Tate

Well rounded team, this one. A lot of variety in bowling. The biggest omission was Maurice Tate. I couldn't decide for a long time. Trueman is an automatic choice, of course. Would any of you leave out Tyson or Turner?

W: Woodfull | Worrell | Weekes | Walcott | Waugh (Steve)* | Walters | Waite + | Warne | Willis | Wardle | Walsh |
Close: Warner, Mark Waugh, Woolley, Watson, Walker

The most difficult team to select by far for me. Great batting, with names like Mark Waugh and David Warner not included. Frank Woolley couldn't find a place in this side. Walsh and Willis to bowl pace, supported by Walters. Warne and Wardle as a spin tandem. Doug Walters or Mark Waugh? Such a difficult choice. Breaks my heart.

My favorite teams are H, M, L, and W, with B and S just behind :)

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
M and H are nice.

Would have to find a way to include Bishop. Was seriously elite before the injury.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Zaheer Abbas should really be in the 'Z' team - not the 'A's - you have many more options for A and most reference works file Pakistani players under the first name anyway.
Yeah, agreed - I was thrown a bit reading some of these teams as they didn't include obvious players until I realised they were sitting in the wrong line-ups. Imran Khan should belong to the Is rather than the Ks for example, and Wasim and Waqar both belong to the Ws. Same goes for virtually all Pakistani players. Also worth noting that Kapil Dev is invariably listed under K rather than D.

harsh.ag

But aren't their last names Abbas, Khan, Akram, and Younis respectively? Why would anything else matter?

harsh.ag

Amla
Bradman
Chappell
De Villiers
Edrich
Faulkner
Gilchrist
Hadlee
Ironmonger
Johnson
Khan (Imran)

harsh.ag

World All Time XI Test Teams in Alphabetical Order

A: Anwar | Amiss | Attapattu | Amla | Abbas | Azharuddin | Ames +| Akram* | Ambrose | Appleyard | Adcock |
Close: Atherton, Anderson, Akhtar, Alderman, Ahmed, Ajmal

A was pretty straightforward in most respects. The only real selection dilemma came in the choice of the spinner. In the end, I went for Bob Appleyard ahead of Mushtaq Ahmed and Ajmal, but I think they would be as good. Akhtar and Anderson missed out to Adcock. Great pace attack. Good balance in batting too.

B: Barnes | Boycott | Bradman* | Barrington | Border | Botham | Boucher +| Bedi | Barnes | Bishop | Bedser |
Close: Boon, Bailey, Benaud, Bond, Bowes

The batting line-up pretty much wrote itself and is a real winner. The real problem was in leaving out Benaud, whose batting and captaincy really add to the side. I am still not absolutely sure, but I gave it to Bedi for sheer variation. Pretty good bowling attack. Bishop and Botham to bowl fast, and Barnes to do whatever magic he did. Bedser was a part of Bradman's all time XI, so must be something great.

C: Cook | I Chappell* | Crowe | G Chappell | Compton | Chanderpaul | Cameron +| Croft | S Clark (Aus) | Chandrasekhar | Cowie |
Close: M Clark, Cowdrey, Caddick, Cairns, S Clarke (WI)

I couldn't find a good opener to partner Cook, so I went with the tenacious Ian Chappell, who I wanted as the skipper anyways. Very solid middle order. Cameron from South Africa as the wicketkeeper, was very competent, and a good batsman averaging 30 with 10 fifties. Left out Sylvestre Clarke to accomodate Cowie.

D: Dempster | Dilshan | Dravid* | Dexter | De Villiers +| Donnelley | Duleepsinghji | Dev | Davidson | Donald | Doshi |
Close: Dujon, Dhoni, A De Silva, S De Silva

The first real head turner was when I had to leave out Aravinda De Silva. Perhaps he could replace Duleepsinghji. Maybe. I went for De Villiers as the keeper purely to bolster the batting. The bowlers all picked themselves.

F: Fredericks | S Fleming* | K Fletcher | Flower +| Fingleton |Faulkner | Flintoff | Fairfax | Finn | D Fleming | Freeman |
Close: Fraser, Foster

Taking Finn ahead of Fraser the only controversial decision here, I think. Maybe I should just take Fraser ahead of Fairfax, but since the side's batting is really weak, I thought that batting deep would be a real plus, and Fairfax was a good all rounder. Freeman as the spinner.

G: Gavaskar | Greenidge | Grace | Gooch* | Gower | Gambhir | Gilchrist +| Garner | Gillespie | Grimmett | Griffith |
Close: Ganguly, Graveney, Greig, Gupte, L Gibbs, Gough

Number 6 was the head scratcher for me here. Gambhir, Ganguly or Greig? Greig gives a useful bowling option, but is a weaker batsman than the other two. Plus, with Grace in the side, does it really require another bowling option? I thought no. I rate Gambhir as a slightly better batsman than Ganguly. Had to leave out two spin legends in Gupte and Gibbs.

H: Hobbs | Hutton* | Hammond | Headley | Harvey | Hussey | Healy +| Hadlee | Holding | Hall | Hordern |
Close: Hayden, Haynes, Hazare, Haddin, Heine, Higgs, Herath

Fantastic batting line up. Incredibe. Only problem here: Hussey or Hazare? I think Hussey bats well with the tail, so gave it to him. Really good pace attack. Hordern ahead of Herath as spinner.

J: Jayasuriya | Jaques | D Jones | M Jayawardene | Jardine* | A Jackson | P Jayawardene +| W Johnston | M Johnson | A Javed | S Jones |

Decent team. Not too many options available to be honest. Bowling is on the weaker side.

K: Kirsten | Katich | Kallis | Kanhai | Kalicharran | Y Khan | Knott +| I Khan* | Kumble | Z Khan | Kasprowicz |

Again, not too many options, but the Khans saved the day here. Plus a good middle order.

L: Langer | Lawry | Laxman | Lara | Lehmann | Lloyd* | Lindsay +| Lillee | Laker | Lindwall | Larwood (Lohmann comes close) |

Great bowling attack. Lohmann or Larwood? Difficult choice. Otherwise, good openers and middle order here.

M: Mitchell | Morris | McCabe | Miandad | Martyn | May | Miller* | Marsh +| Marshall | Murali | McGrath |
Close: Merchant, Melville, Macartney, H Mohammad

How do you leave out Macartney, Merchant and Hanif Mohammad? This one was a tough decision on the batting front. On the bowling front, easy as pie. The best bowling attack here.

P: Ponsford | Prince | Ponting | G Pollock* | Paynter | Pietersen | Prior +| Procter | S Pollock | Prasanna | P Pollock |
Close: Philander, Parfitt

Put in Prince as I could not find a good opener. Otherwise, brilliant middle order. The Pollocks dominate. Wanted to put Philander in ahead of Peter Pollock, but it's too early in his career. Maybe in an year or two.

R: Rhodes | Richards | Richards* | Richardson, Richie | Ranjitsinghji | Russell, Charles | Rice | Russell +| Ramadhin | Reid | Roberts |
Close: M Richardson, Redpath, Rae, Reiffel

Roberts, Reid and Rice are a decent pace combination, with Ramadhin and Rhodes in a spin tandem. Charles Russell was a difficult choice, ahead of Redpath and Rae. Could pick Reiffel ahead of Ramadhin if another pacer is required.

S: Sutcliffe, Herbert | Simpson | Sangakkara | Sehwag | Sobers* | G Smith | Stewart +| Swann | Spofforth | Steyn | Snow |
Close: Sutcliffe (bert), Samaraweera, Slater, Statham

Can I pick Graeme Smith at number 6? I didn't want to pick Samaraweera so the answer is yes. Snow just edged it over Statham.

T: Trumper | Turner, Glenn | Taylor*, Mark | Tendulkar | Tyldesley | Trott | Tillakaratne +| Trueman | Tyson | Tayfield | C Turner |
Close: Tallon, Thorpe, Tate

The biggest omission was Maurice Tate. I couldn't decide for a long time. Trueman is an automatic choice, of course. Would any of you leave out Tyson or Turner?

W: Woodfull | Worrell | Walcott | Weekes | Waugh, Steve | Woolley | Waite +| Warne | Willis | Wardle | Walsh |
Close: Waugh (Mark), Washbrook, Walters

Mindblowing batting. Walsh, Willis and Woolley to bowl pace, and Warne and Wardle as a spin tandem. Leaving out both Doug Walters and Mark Waugh was quite excruciating.

I think H, B, S and M are the strongest all round sides, with W just behind.

Do post your comments even if they are not flattering of the above effort.
Long time since I posted this. Let's see if any changes are warranted in light of recent performances, plus changes to be made since I know more about cricket history having spent time on CW.

A: Anwar | Amiss | Attapattu | Amla | Abbas | Amarnath | Ames +| Akram* | Ambrose | Ahmed | Adcock |
Close: Atherton, Azhar, Anderson, Akhtar, Alderman, Appleyard

Amarnath ahead of Azhar. Mushy ahead of Appleyard. Akhtar so close over Adcock. Not sure.

B: Barnes | Boycott | Bradman* | Barrington | Border | Botham | Boucher +| Benaud | Barnes | Bond | Bedser |
Close: Boon, Bailey, Bedi, Bishop, Bowes

Bond over Bishop. Benaud over Bedi.

C: Cook | Chappelli | Crowe | G Chappell | Compton* | Chanderpaul | Cameron +| Croft | Clark, Stuart | Chandrasekhar | Cowie |
Close: Clarke, Cowdrey, Caddick, Cairns, Clarke (Sylvers)

No change. Close between Sylvers and Stuart though.

D: Dempster | Dilshan | Dravid* | Dexter | De Villiers +| Donnelley | Duleepsinghji | Dev | Davidson | Donald | Doshi |
Close: Dujon, Dhoni, A De Silva, S De Silva

No change. Yeah.

F: Fredericks | S Fleming* | K Fletcher | Flower +| Fingleton | Faulkner | Flintoff | Fairfax | Fraser | D Fleming | Freeman |
Close: Finn, Foster

Fraser over Finn. Stupid choice to begin with.

G: Gavaskar | Greenidge | Gooch* | Gower | Grace | Greig | Gilchrist +| Garner | Gillespie | Grimmett | Gupte |
Close: Ganguly, Gambhir, Graveney, Gough, L Gibbs, Griffith

Greig over Gambhir. Stupid choice for number six earlier. Gupte over Griffith.

H: Hobbs | Hutton* | Headley | Hammond | Harvey | Hazare | Healy +| Hadlee | Herath | Holding | Hall |
Close: Hayden, Haynes, Hussey, Haddin, Heine, Higgs, Hordern

Hazare over Hussey. Herath over Hordern.

J: Jayasuriya | Jaques | Jones, Dean | Jayawardene | Jardine* | Jackson, Archie | Jayawardene +| Johnston | Johnson | Javed | Jones, Simon |

No change.

K: Kirsten | Katich | Khan, Younis | Kallis | Kanhai | Kohli | Knott +| Khan* | Kumble | Khan, Zaheer | Kasprowicz |
Close: Kallicharran

Kohli comes in for Kallicharran.

L: Langer | Lawry | Leyland | Lara | Lloyd* | Laxman | Lindsay +| Lillee | Laker | Lindwall | Larwood |
Close: Lehmann, Lohmann

Leyland in for Lehmann. Just for kicks.

M: Mitchell | Morris | May | Miandad | McCabe | Macartney | Miller* | Marsh +| Marshall | Murali | McGrath |
Close: Merchant, Martyn, Mohammad (Hanif), Mohammad (Mushtaq)

Macartney comes in for Martyn. Difficult, but need the fifth bowler.

P: Ponsford | Pujara | Ponting | Pollock* | Pietersen | Paynter | Prior +| Procter | Pollock, Shaun | Philander | Prasanna
Close: Pollock (Peter), Prince

Pujara comes in for Prince. Philander comes in for Peter Pollock.

R: Rhodes | Richards | Richards* | Root | Richardosn, Richie | Ranjitsinghji | Rice | Russell +| Ramadhin | Reid | Roberts |
Close: Redpath, Rae, Reiffel, Russell, Richardson (Mark)

Joe Root in for Charles Russell.

S: Sutcliffe, Herbert | Simpson | Sangakkara | Smith, Steve | Sehwag | Sobers* | Stewart +| Swann | Spofforth | Steyn | Snow |
Close: Sutcliffe (bert), Samaraweera, Slater, Statham, Smith (Graeme)

Steve Smith comes in for Graeme Smith.

T: Trumper | Turner, Glenn | Taylor*, Mark | Tendulkar | Tyldesley | Trott | Tallon +| Trueman | Tyson | Tayfield | C Turner |
Close: Tillakaratne, Thorpe, Tate

Tallon over Tillakaratne with the gloves, obviously. Don't know what I was thinking.

W: Woodfull | Warner | Weekes | Worrell | Waugh, Steve | Walcott +| Woolley | Warne | Willis | Wardle | Walsh |
Close: Waugh (Mark), Williamson, Walters, Waite

Warner comes in. Walcott takes the gloves and Waite sits out. Williamson joins the bench.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Smith
Sutcliffe
Sangakkara
Sobers
Smith
Sehwag
Stewart+
Steyn
Swann
Spofforth
Statham

Hutton
Hobbs
Headley
Hammond
Hussey
Harvey
Healy
Hadlee
Herath
Holding
Hall

You didn't do 'I', harsh. This isn't good for my OCD. I think I tried to do one recently and gave up.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I:

Iyer, Shreyas
Iredale, Frank
Ingram, Colin
Irvine, Lee
Iqbal, Asif
Illingworth, Ray
Indrajitsinghji (wk)
Inveriarty, John
Irfan, Mohammad
Iverson, Jack
Ironmonger, Bert

Slim pickings tstl

Bijed

International Regular
I:

Iyer, Shreyas
Iredale, Frank
Ingram, Colin
Irvine, Lee
Iqbal, Asif
Illingworth, Ray
Indrajitsinghji (wk)
Inveriarty, John
Irfan, Mohammad
Iverson, Jack
Ironmonger, Bert

Slim pickings tstl
Inzaman? Or does the structure of his name mean he's not actually an 'I'?

Also, I'm liable to mix up forenames and surnames in cases such as this, but statsguru has Imran Khan under 'I'.

Last edited: