• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ken Higgs

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
@ Top Cat: Because his record when they dropped him was the best of any other English bowler, including Brian Statham who was their main spearhead during those years.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
He was around at the time of Trueman, Statham, Titmus and Lock; Snow showed up, and the end of his career he was kept out by the younger likes of Botham, Willis, Dilley and co.

Not to mention he was dour as hell, and the 60s were the decade in which world cricket tried to resurrect itself from the boring, Bailey-led 50s.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
He was around at the time of Trueman, Statham, Titmus and Lock; Snow showed up, and the end of his career he was kept out by the younger likes of Botham, Willis, Dilley and co.

Not to mention he was dour as hell, and the 60s were the decade in which world cricket tried to resurrect itself from the boring, Bailey-led 50s.
Not in England mate.

As for Higgs, I suppose he was initially kept out by Trueman & Statham, and then by Snow, David Brown & Jones. Still seems odd that he only played 15 tests though. It's not as if those guys played in every test match during the 1960s.

You can forget Willis, Botham. Higgs turned 40 in the year when Beefy debuted and wasn't much younger when Willis became a regular.

I particularly liked the story of him turning out for Leicestershire in 1986 (when aged 49) and taking a five-for.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

@rvd: Trueman was a god, I get that. But dropping Higgs because he was dour is ridiculous, and I am surprised you don't feel the same way. Should have been picked above Titmus any day, if not above Statham, for sure!

JBMAC

State Captain
does not surprise me he was a "nothing". Saw him in a test at the gabba in the sixties ....singularly unimpressed....does not surprise he ell out with selectors

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
does not surprise me he was a "nothing". Saw him in a test at the gabba in the sixties ....singularly unimpressed....does not surprise he fell out with selectors
I suspect he was rather better in English conditions. Some more than decent performances against SA and WI in the mid-1960s would suggest as much.

And perhaps he improved with age too, as he was few years older by then. Wouldn't be the only case - I remember Hoggard being completely ineffective in the 2002/03 Ashes but having his moments in 2005 and 2006/07.

Last edited:

fredfertang

When I was about 14 I opened the batting for the junior side of the village in Lancashire I lived in against a side from Blackpool for whom Ken Higgs son opened the bowling.

Unlike his Dad Higgs Jnr was distinctly sharp, well he was to us, and they soon had us at 16-9 - almost all of the 16 were byes. If memory serves young Higgs only had one wicket, because none of my lot were prepared to face him and I couldn't lay bat on ball to get off strike anyway.

So we got to what proved to be the final over and he finally sprayed one down the leg side which I just managed to touch, the keeper fumbled it, and it went away for four. The umpire, strangely enough Higgs senior, signalled byes despite the whole of the oppo having moaned at their keeper for dropping it. It was only the intervention of our umpire that got me credited with the runs (which more or less doubled the number that came off the bat and got me off the mark). Next up I missed the ball completely but was given out caught behind by Dad following a raucous appeal from son (and noone else as I had missed it by a country mile) so we were 20 all out.

Which explains that why it is that, despite his being a Lancastrian, I hate Ken Higgs, 'cos he deprived me of the only chance I ever had to carry my bat through an innings..