• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Cricket Draft

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Simple rules. 12-16 members will play. We pick players based on a particular timeline in the order set at the beginning. Which means we go from 1-16, then 16-1 then 1-16 and so on till we all make a playable 11.

Goes without saying that every team needs to have one wicket keeper and 10 outfield players. After that they can choose to pick the team with whichever combiination they prefer. In case it was not clear, once a player has been picked by a member, it cannot be picked again.

Timings : You get a maximum of 6 hours to pick your player, that is 6 hours after the last player was picked. There will be a midnight - 6 am break according to UK time every day which means your turn will not be skipped if you fail to pick a player at that time. (example : if a player is picked at 8 pm, then you have 8 pm to midnight, clock stops, then 6 am to 8 am the next day before your turn can be skipped).

In the end when everyone has their own team of 11 players, we organize polls and decide the winner in a knockout format.

Every player who made his debut ON or AFTER 1 January 1970 will be eligible to be picked. Also, only the TEST CAREER will be considered.

If upto 16 members register, we can start this. First come first serve.

I register myself.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
176 players to have debuted since 1970, assuming 16 players sign up.
Some seriously weak players will end up getting picked, IMO.

I'm out for this one.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Asking the host to keep it to 8-10 for atleast some flexibility; agree with rvd and Jager
or stretch the timeline a bit, make it from post war era

Last edited:

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
If everyone wants the same thing then it's ok, but I don't want to go really far.

How about post 1960 or one day after Bradman's debut?

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
176 players to have debuted since 1970, assuming 16 players sign up.
Some seriously weak players will end up getting picked, IMO.

I'm out for this one.
That's whole point and challenge of the game. There will be weak players and the aim is to avoid them by carefully choosing your order looking at the depth in each position. You cannot just dive in to get the top names without thinking what might be left for you when your next turn comes.

Stretching the timeline more or reducing the teams will make it really easy and a bit boring. Whats the point in playing when you know that you will get someone quality no matte who you miss out on with your present pick?

Eds

International Debutant
Stretching the timeline more or reducing the teams will make it really easy and a bit boring. Whats the point in playing when you know that you will get someone quality no matte who you miss out on with your present pick?
Pre-1970 doesn't mean you'd just get someone quality no matter what. It also doesn't mean you don't have to think about your picks. Because of the number of all-time drafts we've done, I think it'd be incredibly interesting to see a draft without the likes of Steyn, Waqar, Warne, Tendulkar, Richards etc.

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Pre-1970 doesn't mean you'd just get someone quality no matter what. It also doesn't mean you don't have to think about your picks. Because of the number of all-time drafts we've done, I think it'd be incredibly interesting to see a draft without the likes of Steyn, Waqar, Warne, Tendulkar, Richards etc.
Won't be at all difficult to find 11+ world class names for each position in the batting order. In fact, even post 1970 is a bit easy with the names available. I chose that period purposely as to add a mix of world class and average names, and see who had the best strategy in terms of his picks to end up with the best bunch.

I'm willing to stretch the timeline even though I never thought post 1970 could be difficult for anyone to find enough quality names to build a solid team given you go about your picks cleverly, but still.

So a longer timeline would be fine. But it will be till the present day.

Last edited: