Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Spread of Match Fixing

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse

The Spread of Match Fixing

I've been doing a significant amount of research on match fixing (some of you may have filled out a survey for me in the past), and it got me thinking.

Do you think the ICC caught match fixing in the 1990s and spot fixing in 2010 before it could spread any further? Is it possible that, had Cronje not broken down or Qayuum done so much, that men like Salim Malik would not have been found out, and allowed to continue recruiting players?

Is it possible that, shock horror, News of the World did the cricketing world a service by bringing down Majeed? Do you think spot fixing would have spread the way match fixing did in the 1990s?

A lot of questions, and for that I apologise, but I'm genuinely interested to see what people think about how far it could have gone, or if it would have spread at all.
    Last edited by Dan; 19-07-2012 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Fixed the spelling of Majeed.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Do you think spot fixing would have spread the way match fixing did in the 1990s?
    Definitely, and sadly I'm not convinced it now won't.
    ~ Cribbage

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    What I wonder is how much publicity this gets in India.

Spot fixing is so straightforward and difficult to detect that I rather doubt, even if it such bets were readily available from bookmakers in the UK, that punters would bet on who is going to open the bowling in a T20, or how many fielders will wear sunnies or even will bowler X concede two boundaries in his first over, simply because they won't trust the book.

I can only assume that in the sub-continent these bets are still attractive so it seems to me that there must be much greater trust on the part of the punters that they do actually have a chance of winning. Why is this? I'm assuming the gamblers aren't thick

I think the only answer is to legalise betting on the sub-continent but outlaw the silly spot-fixing type bets that only need the connivance of one or two players, but that's a matter for governments unfortunately and I don't suppose there is any appetite for change (though that's based on nothing more than a hunch - would be interested in hearing any informed opinion on that particular point)

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    I prefer nutella or raspberry jam.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    I prefer nutella or raspberry jam.
    I didn't realise that there was a book on your choice of breakfast spread - is the spot-fixing on that profitable?

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I didn't realise that there was a book on your choice of breakfast spread - is the spot-fixing on that profitable?
    Have been found guilty of supplying bread conditions before itbt.

The ICC were well aware of spot fixing being the preferred method for a good time before the Pakistan tour of England.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    The ICC were well aware of spot fixing being the preferred method for a good time before the Pakistan tour of England.
    Indeed. Rashid Latif warned ICC about spot fixing in 2003.

The majority of their education lessons focussed on spot fixing rather than match fixing in 2006.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    What I wonder is how much publicity this gets in India.

Spot fixing is so straightforward and difficult to detect that I rather doubt, even if it such bets were readily available from bookmakers in the UK, that punters would bet on who is going to open the bowling in a T20, or how many fielders will wear sunnies or even will bowler X concede two boundaries in his first over, simply because they won't trust the book.

I can only assume that in the sub-continent these bets are still attractive so it seems to me that there must be much greater trust on the part of the punters that they do actually have a chance of winning. Why is this? I'm assuming the gamblers aren't thick

I think the only answer is to legalise betting on the sub-continent but outlaw the silly spot-fixing type bets that only need the connivance of one or two players, but that's a matter for governments unfortunately and I don't suppose there is any appetite for change (though that's based on nothing more than a hunch - would be interested in hearing any informed opinion on that particular point)
    Not sure why you think gamblers in the subcontinent are any different from gamblers in the UK, they aren't. You'd be amazed what kind of stuff goes on closer to home.

Its almost impossible to regulate this kind of thing in my experience.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

Considering the whole point of match fixing is to do it in secret, we will never know unless they get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by NasserFan207 View Post
    Not sure why you think gamblers in the subcontinent are any different from gamblers in the UK, they aren't. You'd be amazed what kind of stuff goes on closer to home.

Its almost impossible to regulate this kind of thing in my experience.
    In my admittedly limited experience of bookies, all of whom have been of the High Street variety, they don't have books on the sort of bets that lend themselves to spot-fixing - that said I do accept that I might just not have been looking hard enough

cricketbet.net

jono posts a disturbing pic of Kohli $1.05
    spark posts in the wrong thread $1.03
    no overhype of players in tour thread for the day $150
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

it has to be the early 90s and pakistani players were the one who started.. after they were offered a huge sum of money by indian bookies..

the likes of salim malik.. wasim akram.. ijaz ahmad, waqar younis and afew others were so selfish.. self centered.. they would do anything for money and attention.. I think wasim akram and waqar younis should be the experts on spot fixing and match fixing.. because they have done it all.. faked injury.. under performed.. fixed matches and sold their country for dollers throughout their careers.
    SALMAM KHAN The real king and Baadshah of Bollywood!!!!!!!!

Simon Champion!
    Spot betting is not particularly popular here in India as well. Actually, the unofficial bookies mostly only offer limited bets on the results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information