• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Some Nice Insights from Graham McKenzie

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
1. Their training and practice was to bowl and bowl and bowl.
2. He was fond of Lindwall.
3. He thinks it's extremely tough for a fast bowler if he doesn't have able support.
4. The game was much more friendly those days. Sledging wasn't that common.
5. Quite in line with CW's belief, he makes a striking distinction between attacking batsmen like Sobers, Barry, Pollock and defensive batsmen like Barrington, Boycott.

There are many more interesting points he makes. Read the story...
Graham McKenzie: 'Some people said I was too nice to be a fast bowler' | Specials | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Jager

International Debutant
Enjoyable read. Always good to read what the oldies have to say - wish I could find some writings by Miller though

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Seems like a good egg, Garth. Certainly one of the more forgotten bowlers to have taken 200 wickets.

Talks sense too:

Garth McKenzie said:
If you only ever did one tour, you'd want to go to England, for the traditions of cricket. I liked playing cricket in England.

JBMAC

State Captain
He wasn't fully recognised for his full potential though, more the shame, he had a habit of dragggggging that back foot and was accused more than once of being "suspect" in his action

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I heard Richie Benaud tell a story about the first time McKenzie toured England.

Apparently McKenzie was a good looking, strapping young guy with a great physique.

McKenzie's mum approached Benaud (tour captain) as they were about to board the ship to England and said, "Please look after my boy Mr Benaud, it's the first time he's been away from home and I'm very worried he'll get homesick and lonely".

Benaud said that he could see Graham over Mrs McKenzie's shoulder as they spoke, and that Graham was surrounded by "six nubile young women, all giggling as he spoke to them".

Benaud responded to McKenzie's mother by saying in his dry voice, "Don't worry Mrs McKenzie, I think Graham will be fine".

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Indeed, although from what I understand they are ghost/co-written by Whitington - that being said, ff, do you like his writing style?
To be fair to Miller I think Whitington was more of a genuine co-author than a ghost in the manner of the times - I have to confess to never having read one of the books from start ,to finish but more than one of my features has been inspired by flicking through his books - Sid Barnes books are all entertaining but essentially destructive - Miller's were similar, but constructive, if you see what I mean

Jager

International Debutant
So it's worth picking one up, I'd assume? I also read that Lindwall's Flying Stumps is a great read and I find myself keen to read Alan Davidson's autobiography. Might have to part with a few dollars and get them

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair to Miller I think Whitington was more of a genuine co-author than a ghost in the manner of the times - I have to confess to never having read one of the books from start ,to finish but more than one of my features has been inspired by flicking through his books - Sid Barnes books are all entertaining but essentially destructive - Miller's were similar, but constructive, if you see what I mean
From what I remember, his account of the 1953 Ashes was a pretty gracious affair. Not surprising given the personality of the man and his active service in WW2. Plus the fact that Aus had help the Ashes for about 20 years and probably felt confident about reclaiming them at home a year and a bit later,

fredfertang

So it's worth picking one up, I'd assume? I also read that Lindwall's Flying Stumps is a great read and I find myself keen to read Alan Davidson's autobiography. Might have to part with a few dollars and get them
Cricket Typhoon, about the 54/55 series is the most interesting, although it's the trickiest to find, and the most expensive (marginal though), as it has a digression on leg theory in it, so all those boring bastards who collect anything to do with bodyline tend to snap up copies as soon as they turn up

fredfertang

From what I remember, his account of the 1953 Ashes was a pretty gracious affair. Not surprising given the personality of the man and his active service in WW2. Plus the fact that Aus had help the Ashes for about 20 years and probably felt confident about reclaiming them at home a year and a bit later,
Unlike Barnes' account, which accused the Australians generally of spending too much time on the lash and being rude to their hosts, and Miller specifically of spending too much time at the races