• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One Last Sight

Jager

International Debutant
John Warr once said "if one were granted one last wish in cricket, it would be the sight of Ray Lindwall opening the bowling in a Test match."

If you were granted one final sight in cricket, what would you choose to see?

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is this fantasy or something that did happen?

If the former Douglas Jardine batting against Lillee and Thomson in 74/75

If the latter Stan McCabe's batting in the first Test of the Bodyline series

Jager

International Debutant
ff, I was more referring to an actual event but both are interesting. Would have loved to have seen Trumper bat myself. Hammond's off-side play springs to mind too

MrPrez

International Debutant
Steyn having an incredibly fiery spell against a batsman. Kind of Donald-Atherton - style.

Oh, and Jacques Kallis in an aggressive mood.

Eds

International Debutant
Real Life:
Bodyline series. Are we allowed an entire series?

Fantasy:
An attack of Marshall-Ambrose-Khan-Warne-Muralitharan bowling to Hobbs-Hutton-Bradman-Tendulkar-Richards-Sobers-Gilchrist. :p

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
1) Kapil Dev 175*(odi) and 120 odd(tc) in SA
2) Viv's 153 vs Aus(odi)..

I hope i can see an entire innings

3) WG Grace replacing the bail(s) after getting bowled waiting to face the next ball(no not a fantasy)

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Actually on reflection if I had one cricketing wish it would be to umpire, with Zaremba obviously, a single wicket competition involving benchmark00, GIMH, sledger, furball, grecian, brumbers, Richard and Sylvester Clarke

smash84

The Tiger King
I think India had better batting greats in the 80s and 00s rather than the 90s didn't they?

I would like to see Bradman Wasim, Waqar, and Imran have a go at Bradman with a reverse swinging old ball

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
That I did see:

The 2005 Ashes
David Gower batting
Dennis Lillee bowling

That I didn't see:

The last 2 Tests of the 1902 Ashes
The Australia v West Indies Tied Test
Tom Richardson bowling
Jack Hobbs and Victor Trumper batting

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Waqar, Wasim, Imran and Akhtar on a reverse swinging minefield against the Indian batting greats of the 90's.
1989 India vs Pak 4 test series ..India the team of the 90's and Pak with 3 of the 4 bowlers you have mentioned and Qadir were there..India did not lose a match..Now add Dravid , Ganguly and Laxman to this team and result probably would have been same..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's probably a cliche, but I'd love to have been in the crowd at the Adelaide Oval when Jardine set this leg theory field after Woodfull had been hit over the heart.

One imagines that must be as close as cricket gets to warfare.

smash84

The Tiger King
1989 India vs Pak 4 test series ..India the team of the 90's and Pak with 3 of the 4 bowlers you have mentioned and Qadir were there..India did not lose a match..Now add Dravid , Ganguly and Laxman to this team and result probably would have been same..
emm Imran was at the end of his career. Waqar just started. Only Wasim was reaching his prime.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has to be Bodyline and any other series of Bradman.

Imagine if you got a bunch of England fans back at Bodyline singing Barmy Army songs. :ph34r:

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
emm Imran was at the end of his career. Waqar just started. Only Wasim was reaching his prime.
Imran was the 2nd highest wicket taker in that series. 92 he was at the end of his career... Young Waqar was at his pacy reverse swinging best. 1st 11 matches 50+ wickets and from 89-94 was at his absolute peak. He might have "started" but he was already at his better-best. Wasim is Wasim.

For argument sake in the same token Indian MO had young guns like a certain SRT, Manjrekar, Azhar(with 3 yrs of experience)