• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Presence at the crease

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There's an interesting exert in today's Independent from Micky "Dad of Alec" Stewart's new book in which he recalls England's memorable win in the first test of our 1989/90 Windies tour, our first over the men from the caribbean in 16 years.

There's a quote about Robin Smith, the pugnacious, Popeye-armed batsman who was one of the finest hookers and pullers of the ball I've seen:

Micky Stewart said:
A great dictator with the bat in his hands. But I used to give him stick. He was too unassuming, too humble. He never stood there with presence. The exact opposite of Viv Richards.
This set the old cogs turning; which batsmen have presence and which don't? Moreover, how does one define it?

Physically imposing chaps like IVA Richards (one could also add Hayden, Graeme Smith & Pietersen) have it, but equally I'd suggest the high backlift of BC Lara and the gimlet, gunslinger eyes of SR Waugh exude "presence" too.

thierry henry

International Coach
The word is "aura". Richards clearly the undisputed champ of all time. When WI were involved in close games with Viv in the team they used to be declared the winner on the basis of Viv's aura. Look it up, it's a historical fact.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The word is "aura". Richards clearly the undisputed champ of all time. When WI were involved in close games with Viv in the team they used to be declared the winner on the basis of Viv's aura. Look it up, it's a historical fact.
FFS, let it go.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In my, albeit relatively lower level, experience, presence at the crease is a real thing and I think it's a result of a bowler feeling as though the batsman can belt him as soon as he strays just that little bit (if at all).

Viv could obviously take any attack apart so I can only imagine that all the fielders would have been on edge as soon as he came in.

From my experience you often find yourself not bowling to get the batsman out, but instead bowling just to not get flogged and hope you pick him up as you go.

A bloke like Ian Bell really had no presence at the crease when he faced McGrath etc. The Australians were all over him like a cheap suit and they could dictate terms. can't do that against Viv Richards though.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Agree with Benchy. It's always harder to get your line and length right when you know you'll end up in the car park if you get it wrong.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You don't have to be a huge hitter or dominating batsmen to have a presence to be fair. There is also a presence of "**** I can't get this **** out no matter what I do" which can be demoralising for the bowling team.

So sure, KP, Ponting, Viv are what one normally things of when considering 'aura' or 'presence', but I honestly believe Dravid in his pomp, and probably Sanga too, have had a presence at the crease which has been advantageous for them as batsmen.

Last edited:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Couldn't you also just call this 'charisma'?

I believe bowlers can have this as well. Warne the obvious example.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Couldn't you also just call this 'charisma'?

I believe bowlers can have this as well. Warne the obvious example.
Nah not really, unless you think Ponting and Tendulkar (in his pomp) are especially charismatic? Viv, KP, Warne... yeah. But when Ponting came out to bat he had an aura. When Ambrose came on to bowl, he had an aura. But they aren't what I'd traditionally describe as charismatic.

Mike5181

International Captain
Tendulkar, Ponting, Waugh and Lara are the batsmen that come to mind when talking about presence at the crease.

Flem274*

123/5
Tbh not many current batsmen spring to mind because Steyn out-presences them all.

Even looks like he wants to kill someone when he's batting.

I'll go with Kallis because he is impossible to remove and Sangakkara because he's batting like a king atm. Sehwag would be in here except he's lost some of his mojo away from home, and Gayle is only just back in internationals.

Last edited:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Nah not really, unless you think Ponting and Tendulkar (in his pomp) are especially charismatic? Viv, KP, Warne... yeah. But when Ponting came out to bat he had an aura. When Ambrose came on to bowl, he had an aura. But they aren't what I'd traditionally describe as charismatic.
As Batsmen yeah I'd call Tendulkar and Ponting charismatic. Particularly Tendulkar, he's not revered as God by a billion people just because he scores lots of runs

Alec Stewart was also a batsmen with swagger and had his own style at the crease

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I've played against Will Jefferson, that guy is a presence at the crease. 6ft 10 or so, and all you can see in your periphery as you run in to bowl is a head about a foot higher than where it usually is.

I'm sure this isn't the point of the thread, but it fits.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
presence is over-rated IMO..swagger is till you reach the crease and after that its the talent first and then the ability to absorb the pressure and perform ....is high back-lift presence?

Jager

International Debutant
I'd describe presence simply as the batsman applying some form of psychological pressure onto the bowler.