• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quick World ODI ATG XI draft- Voting Thread

Bes ODI Team?

• Total voters

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Straight ODI teams were selected, participants can post their write ups in here if they wish.

CricZo XI (King Kallis)

1. Matthew Hayden
2. Kumar Sangakkara
3. Viv Richards
4. Inzamam-ul-Haq
5. Martin Crowe
6. Yuvraj Singh
7. Jacob Oram
8. Saqlain Mushtaq
9. Craig McDermott
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Allan Donald

Camo 999 XI

1. V Sehwag
2. D Haynes
3. D Jones
4. B Lara
5. P Collingwood
6. *A Border
7. +M Khan
8. W Akram
9. B Hogg
10. C Matthews
11. S Bond

Abbott's ODI XI- (Monk)

• Adam Gilchrist
• Sourav Ganguly
• Ricky Ponting
• Damian Martyn
• Tillakaratne Dilshan
• Jonty Rhodes
• Shahid Afridi
• Ian Botham
• Curtly Ambrose
• Michael Holding
• Terry Alderman

Marcuss XI

1. Chris Gayle (6)
2. Saeed Anwar
3. Mohammad Yousuf
4. Allan Lamb
5. Andrew Flintoff (3)
6. Michael Bevan (7)
7. Lance Klusener (5)
8. Brendon McCullum
9. Chaminda Vaas (2)
10. Muttiah Muralitharan (4)
11. Shoaib Ahktar

GI Joe XI

1. Marcus Trescothick
2. Shane Watson
3. Gautam Gambhir
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Jacques Kallis
6. Greg Chappell
7. AB DeVilliers
8. Waqar Younis
9. Andy Roberts
10. Lasith Malinga
11. Derek Underwood

Blakus XI

1.Sachin Tendulkar
2.Gordan Greenidge
3.Virat Kohli
4.Javed Miandad
5.Carl Hooper
6.Imran Khan*
7.Mark Boucher+
8.Kapil Dev
9.Richard Hadlee
10.Abdul Razzaq
11.Saeed Ajmal

Charter 77 XI (Michael F77777)

Herschelle Gibbs
Graeme Smith
Mahela Jayawardene
Mike Hussey
Steve Waugh (*)
Chris Cairns
Brad Haddin (+)
Shaun Pollock
Daniel Vettori
Shane Warne
Malcolm Marshall

rvd619323 XI

Hashim Amla
Glenn Turner
Zaheer Abbas
Andrew Flower +
Clive Lloyd *
Eoin Morgan
Shakib Al Hasan
Brett Lee
Abdul Qadir
Joel Garner
Sarfraz Nawaz

Marcc71178

* Sanath Jayasuriya
* Mark Waugh
* Jonathon Trott
* Michael Clarke
* MS Dhoni
* Aravinda DeSilva
* Andrew Symonds
* Heath Streak
* Graham Swann
* Nathan Bracken
* Glenn McGrath

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Starting from the top and working down -

Opening Partnership
Two fantastic left-handed stroke makers who are sure to get the team off to a flying start. With 20 centuries apiece they're not just there for a bit of a hit and giggle either and both are capable of taking the game away from the opposition in the opening 10 overs.

Middle Order
The middle order can easily be split into two partnerships. Firstly, the combinatioun of Mohammad Yousuf and Allan Lamb In MoYo and Lamb are two quality batsmen in the more 'traditional' mould. Both with an inherit ability to rotate the strike and keep the scoreboard ticking. MoYo is often thought of as a vastly superior Test batsman than in ODIs but his record at number 3 is superb. Despite only having batted there for 45 of his 288 ODIs he has managed to score 5 of his 15 tons from that position including his highest score of 141* and holds an average of 54 with a SR of 80. As for Lamb, while not your classical powerful hitter just ask Bruce Reid what the bloke is capable of if the situation requires it. In tandem these two should help solidify the mavericks either side of them in the order.

The second middle order partnership is that of Andrew Flintoff and Michael Bevan. A fantastic number 5 combined with a player whom many regard as the greatest finisher of an innings to have ever graced the limited overs platform. Both were dynamic players who often played to the match situation perfectly; capable of setting a total that was simply out of reach for the opposition or chasing down what the opposition believed to be beyond them. Their records somewhat speak for themselves, maybe less so for Flintoff but with Bevan just think back to moments like this Michael Bevan last ball four - SCG 1995/96 - YouTube

Lower Order
It feels almost rude to bracket these two players as lower order batsmen but such is the strength of the other players in the order that it is where they should find themselves. The names filling the slots at numbers 7 and 8 are those of Lance Klusener and Brendon McCullum. Both players are capable are scoring big runs late in the order and even if they only score a couple, one thing is certain - they'll have been scored quickly. If you were to play a match and find the opposition 190/6 with 10 overs remaining, you could almost be forgiven for believing you may only be chasing around 240 but with these two at the crease then 300 isn't out of the question. On their days they are capable of anything with the bat.
6th ODI: South Africa v New Zealand at Cape Town, Nov 4, 2000 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
3rd ODI: New Zealand v Australia at Christchurch, Dec 10, 2005 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
Innings like those were scarily commonplace.

Now to turn attention to the bowling attack

Opening Bowlers
It's hard to imagine two more complimentary bowlers than Shoaib Akhtar and Chaminda Vaas. Raw, unrefined, right arm express pace from one and a canny, unerring, left arm miser in the other. Whatever way you look at it, it's going to be difficult to score runs. Opening batsmen are left with a choice of risking bother their toes and their wicket if they choose to attack Shoaib, or losing their dignity along with their wicket as Vaas sets them up and makes them look foolish with a cutter that nicks off to behind the stumps.

Change Bowlers
If, somehow, batsmen are able to make it through the opening spells then they'll sure be relieved when Flintoff is thrown the ball to replace Shoaib and then a little while later when Murali comes on to weave his magic, potentially with Flintoff having a change of ends so Murali can exploit Vaas' footmarks. In plain and simple terms, these pair are two of the greatest middle over bowlers of recent times and in Murali's case, arguably the greatest ODI bowler/spinner of all time. Back of the length, difficult to hit, aggression from the big man and then big spinning (both ways) deliveries from the magician. Good luck.

Back Ups
Bowling support will come from Lance Klusener and, if necessary, Chris Gayle. While Klusener can go for runs, it is a risk worth taking with the likes of Flintoff, Vaas and Murali making up the rest of the attack as on his day Klusener can rip the heart out of a batting lineup as his collection of 5fers go to show. If the pitch is turning then Gayle can be of great use, bowling from a much different trajectory to Murali his off breaks present a different kind of challenge and have caught many a batsman out.

Death Bowling
Shoaib and Freddie. 'Nuff said.

Eds

International Debutant
Would have gone for Joe were it not for the long tail. Marcuss gets it.

watson

Banned
Not sure about Hooper, but in the end the experience and class of Tendulkar, Greenidge, and Miandad in batting, plus Imran, Hadlee, and Dev in bowling make this team very strong. Razzaq and Boucher solid enough. Benefit of the doubt given to Kohli and Ajmal.

Good stats top to bottom - Blakus it is.

Himannv

International Coach
Shortened that list down to Marcuss, Blakus, marc and Joe. Went with Marcuss as I'd love to see that team in action. Some fantastic players in there combined with players who can do a good job in their respective positions..

Was very tempted to go with Blakus due to the combination of Imran, Hadlee and Dev. How he was able to pick all three and Tendulkar as well is a bit of a mystery.

smash84

The Tiger King
Was very tempted to go with Blakus due to the combination of Imran, Hadlee and Dev. How he was able to pick all three and Tendulkar as well is a bit of a mystery.
Yep. How the hell did this happen?

So many batting and bowling options in his team.

Blakus

Camo999

State 12th Man
Booo. No votes for me yet. No Craig Matthews fans out there?

Camo999 ODI Draft XI 2012

Top Order: Strategy was to pick strongest possible top 4 batsmen. Didn’t want my early picks wasted on guys who were batting at 6 or 7. All four are amongst the most exciting to watch too. Plenty of batting depth is present but these guys are responsible for delivering the centuries:

Virender Sehwag: (Strike rate: 104.68, HS 219, World Cup Winner 2011) Wanted a flying start. Bit of a plodder in the field but a handy extra bowling option.

Desmond Haynes: (8,648 runs, Av 41.37, 17 x 100, World Cup Winner 1979) Thought it prudent to have someone a bit more sensible up the other end who could bat through the innings if required. Retired (I think) as the all-time leading ODI run-scorer and century maker.

Dean Jones (6,068 runs, Av 44.61, World Cup Winner 1987) The premier ODI batsman of his time. Brilliant out-fielder. A pioneer of the slide and wearing sunglasses on the field. And he’s a Victorian.

Brian Lara (10,405 runs, Av 40.48, 19 x 100) (Vice Captain) One of the best batsmen ever and definitely my favourite to watch so had to include him. Not only did he pilot the Windies to the shock 2004 Champions Trophy victory, I like that he did it by even more shockingly unleashing Wavell Hinds as the surprise bowling weapon in the semi and final.

Middle Order: Didn’t necessarily care greatly about batting average and strike rate here (though I was seriously considering ten Doeschate). Instead I selected guys who were familiar with batting in these slots, were reliable in the unlikely scenario we lost a few early wickets, were versatile and unselfish enough to hit out from the word go, and were able to contribute to the team in the field and (aside from the keeper) with the ball.

Paul Collingwood (5092 runs, 108 catches, 111 wickets) His sensational performances against great opposition in the 2006/7 CBA Series got him selected.

Allan Border (6524 runs, 127 catches, 73 wickets, World Cup Winner 1987) (Captain) Hit his sixes over the fence before they brought the ropes in 20m. Highest score of 127* came against Garner, Marshall and Holding in a final. Loved his slow left-armers with the ball.

Moin Khan (Strike rate 81.30, Ct 214, St 73, World Cup Winner 1992) Very talkative and effective behind the stumps. Clever batting too, I seem to remember him absolutely mauling McGrath at the ’99 World Cup.

Bowling: Frightening extreme pace left / right arm attacking opening bowling combo followed by a rock solid first change bowler, and a difficult to pick unorthodox left arm spinner. Collingwood (medium pace) is the nominal 5th bowler backed up by AB (left-arm orthodox), and Sehwag (right-arm off break), this versatile trio have nearly 300 wickets between them.

Wasim Akram (batting strike rate 88.33, 502 wickets, Av 23.52, Econ 3.89, World Cup Winner 1992) As a youngster I was at the ‘G for the ’92 World Cup final. His explosive batting followed up by several unplayable deliveries were the difference that day. The first player I picked and could potentially bat up the order if we wanted to boost the run rate.

Brad Hogg (156 wickets Av 26.84, World Cup winner 2003 and 2007) Almost too enthusiastic in the field. Missed out on Warnie so went for the guy who replaced him quite successfully in the ODI arena.

Craig Matthews (Bowling Av 25.00, Econ 3.94) Many other higher profile bowlers were still available but remember this guy as being very, very, very consistent and the perfect candidate to keep the pressure on. With the exception of his last game where it appears he injured himself and was hit for 4 with the only delivery he bowled, probably never played a bad match.

Shane Bond (147 wickets, Av 20.88) Very fast. Surprised he only got 4 five fors. Seemed to get one every time I watched him play anyway.

kingkallis

International Coach
I liked Craig Matthews and his stump to stump bowling...him and Andrew Hudson were the players I loved watching in action back then!

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I wouldn't swap with you tbh
Could have easily picked someone like Cairns or Raina to bat 8, instead of Underwood on my last pick, and still had 6 bowlers with 8 batsmen deep, TBH.

7 batsmen, all but one averaging above 40 is plenty.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Could have easily picked someone like Cairns or Raina to bat 8, instead of Underwood on my last pick, and still had 6 bowlers with 8 batsmen deep, TBH.

7 batsmen, all but one averaging above 40 is plenty.
And out of my top 7 all bar one average more than 39.30. Drawing arbitrary lines ftw.