• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar is selfish

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's not playing for records, he's playing because he still loves the game and he's still in India's top six batsmen. Who can begrudge him for that?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's not his job to retire when other people think he should. It's not even his job to decide if he is holding anyone back, or if he is good enough, or whatever else. If he is one of the six best batsmen in India, selectors should pick him, if not, they shouldn't. All he can do is make himself available for as long as he feels like playing.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Given that only last summer he was India's second best batsman, and the guy in front of him has retired, happen it's the Indian selectors being selfish by not allowing him to retire?

Fusion

Global Moderator
Not allowing him? What does that even mean?
I think Fred's stating that the selectors may be putting pressure on Tendulkar not to retire.

Anyway, agree with Benchy and yourself that he's still one of India's top 6 batsmen and there is nothing selfish about him playing on.

Burgey

He's not playing for records, he's playing because he still loves the game and he's still in India's top six batsmen. Who can begrudge him for that?
Nah, I've always thought him selfish tbh. Won't put himself out for his team one bit.

India's Kallis.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Tendulkar will play as long as his performances are adequate. Never been a bigger cult figure in the game. Selectors will not drop him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Depends how you define selfish. If playing on because you love the sport and are still good enough is selfish, then yeah Sachin is selfish.

I personally define selfish as headbutting someone and getting a red card just because you were pissed off, and denying your country a World Cup. :ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah, I've always thought him selfish tbh. Won't put himself out for his team one bit.

India's Kallis.
Show some respect you son of a bitch. He isn't India's Kallis. Kallis is South Africa's Tendulkar. :ph34r:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
For all the talent that Rahane, Sharma, Pujara and Kohli posseses, I shall be deeply worried about our no. 3 batsman in overseas conditions now that Dravid is gone. Two among the 4 are likely to play at no. 3 and 6 now.

Anyone wanting another replacement in the middle-order right now (which will mean 3 among the above 4 batsmen playing together) is either out of one's mind, or doesn't understand test cricket. Forget Tendulkar, I would say even Laxman is definitely indispensable at this point in time.

I shall hope that Tendulkar and Laxman will be selfless and carry on for a year or so at the very least, for the sake of the team. I know that will be sort of a sacrifice as their averages are likely to drop if they play on - but I hope that they will do so for the team.

Burgey

Depends how you define shellfish. If playing on because you love the sport and are still good enough is selfish, then yeah Sachin is shellfish.

I personally define shellfish as headbutting someone and getting a red card just because you were pissed off, and denying your country a World Cup. :ph34r: