• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brett Lee to retire from cricket

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just Punter to go now and the last link to the 9 Ashes series from Hell will be gone

Lee was a strange case - the natural order of things is that you detest the tormentor's strike bowler - never quite worked like that with him

pup11

International Coach
With him gone it truly feels like the end of an era, he was the last member left in the team from the golden era of Australian cricket, kind of feeling sad as this realisation seeps in.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
With him gone it truly feels like the end of an era, he was the last member left in the team from the golden era of Australian cricket, kind of feeling sad as this realisation seeps in.
Ummm, Ponting? Or where you just referring to ODI's?

Anyway, really sad to hear this. In his youth, I reckon Lee was the most exciting fast bowler in the world to watch, and some of his spells in 2005 ashes (despite getting belted a lot of the time) were simply staggering. Will miss him, even if he did ruin a few kiwi run chases over the years.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Unless you just meant ODIs of course. If so, still a great pic of Ricky.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Always think he's slightly underrated as a bowler, mainly by those who favour statsguru over actually watching cricket. He formed a valuable quarter of (arguably) the most complete bowling attack I've seen (Dizzy McWarne and him, obvz) and, because the others exerted such control, one suspects he was often given a bit of a licence to run in hard and bowl flat out, which meant he was more expensive in terms of runs. It's a well kept secret but, heck, I'll cough: cricket is a team game. Shocking, I know, but there it is.

His adaptability was shown when the holy trinity finally departed & he really stepped up to the plate and, for about 15-18 months, he was arguably the world's best seamer until his body betrayed him.

I think it's a testament to his likeability that he's still well thought of despite sending down more beamers than any other bowler I've seen in my nigh on three decades of watching.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Always think he's slightly underrated as a bowler, mainly by those who favour statsguru over actually watching cricket.

pffft any statsguru nerd is smart enough to divide brett lee's test career into about 3 sections.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
you could divide into 4 if you want, the start (1999 to around the time he killed Tudor), the middle (that point til either before the 05 ashes or after, i go after), the prime (That point til around 2008) and the end (When the divorce happened). He kicks arse in section a and c, sucks arse in b and the end is like 4 tests so w/ever. does push his career average above 30 tho

Mike5181

International Captain
Clarke, Hussey, Ponting defs count as part of the "golden era"
Ponting is the only Australian left that was around when I started watching cricket. It's pretty crazy when you look at when Michael Clarke made his debut for Australia in ODIs though. He's nearly been around for a decade.