• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Defining the acronym- ATG

Trichromatic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
So top (Gold) tier Batsmen:
Hobbs, Hutton, Gavaskar, Sutcliffe, Trumper, B. Richards, Bradman, Headley, Hammond, Ponting, Richards, Tendulkar, Sobers, G. Chappell, Lara, Pollock, Kallis, Weekes, Border, Miandad.

Bolwers:
Marshall, Warne, Mcgrath, Lillee, Ambrose, Trueman, Hadlee, Holding, Lindwall, O'Reilly, Laker, Imran, Akran, Younis, Barnes, Donald, Steyn, Miller.

Keepers/All Rounders:
Gilchrist, Knott, Ames, Botham.

Looks about right?
I would add Dravid to Gold list.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I would probably say that he'd have to have a reasonable chance of making an all decade XI at the very least.

Jager

International Debutant
So top (Gold) tier Batsmen:
Hobbs, Hutton, Gavaskar, Sutcliffe, Trumper, B. Richards, Bradman, Headley, Hammond, Ponting, Richards, Tendulkar, Sobers, G. Chappell, Lara, Pollock, Kallis, Weekes, Border, Miandad, Dravid

Bolwers:
Marshall, Warne, Mcgrath, Lillee, Ambrose, Trueman, Hadlee, Holding, Lindwall, O'Reilly, Laker, Imran, Akran, Younis, Barnes, Donald, Steyn, Miller, Garner.

Keepers/All Rounders:
Gilchrist, Knott, Ames, Botham.

Looks about right?
Neil Harvey, Dudley Nourse, Denis Compton, Charlie Macartney, Clyde Walcott, Clem Hill, Vijay Hazare and Frank Worrell are easy gold tier bats for me

Alan Davidson, Shaun Pollock, Harold Larwood, Clarrie Grimmett, Hedley Verity, Richie Benaud and Mike Procter are certain gold tiers too

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
Bradman is Diamond tier, by himself.
Agreed. I am making my own list at the moment, these are the players that get three points for their primary skill. Extremely harsh on May, Gupte, Jackson, Mitchell etc.

Diamond tier bat
Bradman

Gold tier bat
Hobbs, Hutton, Gavaskar, Sutcliffe, Trumper, B. Richards, Headley, Hammond, Ponting, V. Richards, Tendulkar, Sobers, G. Chappell, Lara, Sangakkara, Pollock, Kallis, Weekes, Border, Miandad, Dravid, Harvey, Nourse, Compton, Macartney, Hill, Worrell, Hazare, S. Waugh

Gold tier pace
Marshall, McGrath, Davidson, Lillee, Ambrose, Trueman, Hadlee, Larwood, Holding, Lindwall, Imran, Akram, Younis, Barnes, Donald, Steyn, Miller, Garner, Roberts, S. Pollock, Procter, Walsh

Gold tier spin
Warne, Laker, Muralitharan, O'Reilly, Grimmett, Benaud, Verity, Kumble, Underwood

Gold tier keeping
Knott, Engineer, Tallon, Evans, Healy, Marsh, Dujon, Waite, Russell

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Comprehensive Jager, as expected!

I'd add a few extras, and an all rounder category, some of whom appear in two lists (all in blue)....

Diamond tier bat
Bradman

Gold tier bat
Hobbs, Hutton, Gavaskar, Sutcliffe, Trumper, B. Richards, Headley, Hammond, Ponting, V. Richards, Tendulkar, Sobers, G. Chappell, Lara, Sangakkara, Pollock, Kallis, Weekes, Border, Miandad, Dravid, Harvey, Nourse, Compton, Macartney, Hill, Worrell, Hazare, S. Waugh

Gold tier pace
Marshall, McGrath, Davidson, Lillee, Ambrose, Trueman, Hadlee, Larwood, Holding, Lindwall, Imran, Akram, Younis, Barnes, Donald, Steyn, Miller, Garner, Roberts, S. Pollock, Procter, Walsh, Spofforth, CTB Turner

Gold tier spin
Warne, Laker, Muralitharan, O'Reilly, Grimmett, Benaud, Verity, Kumble, Underwood

Gold tier keeping
Knott, Engineer, Tallon, Evans, Healy, Marsh, Dujon, Waite, Russell

Gold tier all-rounders
Imran, Sobers, Kapil, Botham, Gregory, Miller, Gilchrist

Red

Also, I reckon if Dujon is included as a gold tier keeper on the basis of his keeping alone, you could comfortably include Gilchrist as well....

Jager

International Debutant
Also, I reckon if Dujon is included as a gold tier keeper on the basis of his keeping alone, you could comfortably include Gilchrist as well....
Personally I really rate Dujon's keeping, not so much Gilly's... :p

here's a continuation of my rough list. Pained me to do it, but I am trying to be very harsh so I cut Hill from gold.

Diamond tier bat
Bradman

Gold tier bat
Hobbs, Hutton, Gavaskar, H. Sutcliffe, Trumper, B. Richards, Headley, Hammond, Ponting, V. Richards, Tendulkar, Sobers, G. Chappell, Lara, Sangakkara, Pollock, Kallis, Weekes, Border, Miandad, Dravid, Harvey, Nourse, Compton, Macartney, Worrell, Hazare, S. Waugh, Barrington, Walcott
Gold tier pace
Marshall, McGrath, Walsh, Davidson, Lillee, Ambrose, Trueman, Hadlee, Larwood, Holding, Lindwall, Imran, Akram, Younis, Barnes, Donald, Steyn, Miller, Garner, Roberts, S. Pollock, Procter
Gold tier spin
Warne, Laker, Muralitharan, O'Reilly, Grimmett, Benaud, Verity
Gold tier keeping
Knott, Engineer, Tallon, Evans, Healy, Marsh, Dujon, Waite, Russell, Hendricks

Silver tier bat
Hill, May, Crowe, Jackson, Dexter, Walters, I. Chappell, Yousuf, Khan, Mitchell, Merchant, Laxman, Hussey, de Villiers, Smith, Pietersen, Abbas, Inzamam, Jayawardene, Amiss, de Silva, B. Sutcliffe, Ranjitsinhji, McCabe, Morris, Gooch, Greenidge, Ponsford, Hayden, Grace, Gower, Woodfull, Lawry, Simpson, Hanif, Sehwag, Kanhai, Paynter, Barlow, Hassett, O'Neill, Chanderpaul, Cowper, Amla
Silver tier pace
Mahmood, Johnston, Gregory, Statham, Bedser, Willis, Snow, Asif, Gillespie, Turner, Lohmann, Akhtar, Adcock, Tate, Tyson, Kapil Dev, P. Pollock, Croft, Bishop, Hall, Bond, Thomson, McKenzie, Spofforth
Silver tier spin
Rhodes, Tayfield, Kumble, Gibbs, MacGill, Underwood, Wardle, Mailey, Gupte, Chandrasehkar
Silver tier keeping
Gilchrist, Ames, Grout, Oldfield, Blackham, Boucher, Bari, Strudwick, Jayawardene

Last edited:

Red

Bert Oldfield has to be included as a keeper. He'd definitely be gold tier. Probably Australia's greatest pure keeper.

In the fourth Test match Oldfield provided unforgettable evidence of the astonishing speed of his reflex actions, when he stumped Hobbs, Woolley, Chapman and Whysall in England's first and only innings. Hobbs was stumped off Jack Ryder, Woolley and Chapman off Mailey, and Whysall off Kelleway. Oldfield's piece de resistance was evidently the dismissal of Hobbs, when Ryder sent down an unexpectedly fast delivery that rose cap high: Hobbs, in avoiding the ball, moved momentarily out of his crease; Oldfield, meanwhile, in an amazing movement, had taken the ball and flicked a bail off.

In the fifth Test match Oldfield caught Hobbs in the first innings and stumped him in the second. In the first innings he caught him wide on the leg side off Gregory; this catch, says Wisden (1926), greatly influenced the course of the match - Australia in fact, went on to win by 307 runs. In the second innings Oldfield stumped Hobbs for 13, the bowler being a newcomer to Test cricket named Clarrie Grimmett, who signalled his arrival by taking five for 45 in the first innings and six for 37 in the second. Four of Grimmett's victims were stumped by Oldfield.

England regained the Ashes after fifteen years, in 1926, when Australia was defeated in the final Test at The Oval. HL Collins, the Australian captain, said that he couldn't remember Oldfield making a solitary mistake during the entire tour. "Neat, quiet and skilful" said Wisden (1927), "Oldfield showed himself as well-equipped a wicketkeeper as any side could desire to possess and completely overshadowed his deputy Ellis."
cricinfo

Jager

International Debutant
That's some great evidence, I think I will put him gold in my list I am currently refining. I have heard legends about his stumping ability

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Too much batsmen in gold tier, Gold tier for me is some one who who legitimately contend for one of the top two or three all time teams, would demote evryone after Harvey tbh.
Shaun Pollock doest quite belong in the gold tier either, not a pure # 1 also Gibbs who bowled on flat tracks with almost no support and first spinner to 300 wks deserves a look.
Dujon probably best ever to pace, not good enough to spin for gold tier though, H.B (Jock) Cameron deserves some consideration. Bedi for Silver tier.

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
Too much batsmen in gold tier, Gold tier for me is some one who who legitimately contend for one of the top two or three all time teams.
Shaun Pollock doest quite belong in the gold tier either, also Gibbs who bowled on even flat tracks with almost no support and first spinner to 300 wks deserves a look.
Dujon probably best ever to pace, not good enough to spin for gold tier, H.B (Jock) Cameron deserves some consideration.
My new list separates openers and middle order batsmen, Kumble/Gibbs are silver, Pollock definitely deserving gold tier IMO... 421 wickets at 23 eases it in. Cameron definitely a shout, will consider him now!

Jager

International Debutant
This is what I've got now, pretty close to finished (I think all players from the ATG XI's game are here)

Diamond tier middle order
Bradman

Gold tier opener
Hobbs, Hutton, Gavaskar, H. Sutcliffe, Trumper, B. Richards
Gold tier middle order
Headley, Hammond, Ponting, V. Richards, Tendulkar, Sobers, G. Chappell, Lara, Sangakkara, G. Pollock, Kallis, Weekes, Border, Miandad, Dravid, Harvey, Nourse, Compton, Macartney, Worrell, Hazare, S. Waugh, Barrington, Walcott
Gold tier pace
Marshall, McGrath, Walsh, Davidson, Lillee, Ambrose, Trueman, Hadlee, Larwood, Holding, Lindwall, Imran, Akram, Younis, Barnes, Donald, Steyn, Miller, Garner, Roberts, S. Pollock, Procter
Gold tier spin
Warne, Laker, Muralitharan, O'Reilly, Grimmett, Benaud, Verity
Gold tier keeping
Knott, Engineer, Tallon, Evans, Healy, Waite, Russell, Hendricks, Oldfield, Cameron, Lilley, Kirmani

Silver tier opener
Mitchell, Merchant, G. Smith, Morris, Gooch, Greenidge, Ponsford, Hayden, Grace, Woodfull, Lawry, Simpson, Hanif, Sehwag, Boycott
Silver tier middle order
Hill, May, Crowe, A. Jackson, Dexter, Walters, I. Chappell, Yousuf, Khan, Laxman, Hussey, de Villiers, Pietersen, Abbas, Inzamam, Jayawardene, B. Sutcliffe, Ranjitsinhji, McCabe, Gower, Kanhai, Paynter, Chanderpaul, Amla, Faulkner
Silver tier pace
Mahmood, Johnston, Gregory, Statham, Bedser, Willis, Snow, Asif, Gillespie, Turner, Lohmann, Akhtar, Adcock, Tate, Tyson, Kapil Dev, P. Pollock, Croft, Bishop, Hall, Bond, Thomson, McKenzie, Spofforth, Philander, Cowie
Silver tier spin
Rhodes, Tayfield, Kumble, L. Gibbs, MacGill, Underwood, Wardle, Mailey, Gupte, Trumble
Silver tier keeping
Gilchrist, Ames, Grout, Blackham, Boucher, Bari, Strudwick, Jayawardene, Lindsay, Marsh, Dujon

Bronze tier opener
Amiss, Gayle, Jayasuriya, Langer, Barnes, Bardsley, M. Taylor, Goddard, Brown, Strauss, Redpath, Vaughan, Katich, Majid, Collins, McDonald, McLaren, H. Gibbs, Edrich, Dempster, Slater, Anwar, Hunte, Fredericks, Haynes, Cook, Kirsten, McGlew, Sidhu
Bronze tier middle order
de Silva, Clarke, Cowper, Barlow, Hassett, O'Neill, Duleepsinhji, Davis, Samaraweera, Hendren, R. Smith, Thorpe, Rowe, Iqbal, Bell, Trott, Malik, Goodwin, Booth, Umrigar, Subba Row, Hardstaff, Graveney, Martyn, Jardine, Boon, Kallicharan, Armstrong, S. Jackson, M. Waugh, Leyland, H. Taylor, Azharuddin, Ryder, Vishwanath, J. Reid, S. Fleming, Lehmann, Hodge, D'Oliveria, Nurse, Donnelly, Vengsarkar, Cullinan, Cowdrey, Richardson, Mead, Bland
Bronze tier pace
Farnes, Srinath, Flintoff, de Villiers, Nawaz, Gough, Streak, Clark, Hughes, Alderman, Voce, Bowes, Lee, Constantine, D. Fleming, Griffith, Hirst, Broad, Toshack, Heine, B. Reid
Bronze tier spin
Briggs, Swann, Prassana, Chandrasehkar, Valentine, Qadir, Saqlain, Shakib, Bedi, Ramadhin, Ahmed, Vettori
Bronze tier keeping
Prior, Latif, I. Smith

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I will likely put Benaud and Verity in the silver tier. Tayfield is about the same level as them if not better. Got 14 fivers in only 37 tests!