• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Azhar Ali?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Made an impressive start to his career and is on an upward curve. Hope he carries on as he is as Pakistan need a few solid bats in the top order and he looks one.

Spikey

ftr, all new pakistani batsmen tend to merge into one pitiful figure for me so this is why i know almost nothing about the guy

flibbertyjibber

Unlike many who play loosely he seems to have a good technique and is happy to bat for a long time. Two great assets there.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I didn't rate him for some time until the Test against England in January, happy to admit I was wrong. I tend to think a lot of people claim a player is patient when they have a dour strike rate when really they've just got a lack of proper shots, and it means that by the time they get out they've not managed enough runs in the time they had. So I especially thought this of Azhar given that at one point he had something like ten fifties without a ton.

In the last year though I've been pretty convinced he really is one of these enviously patient players, and so he well could be piling up the runs in future. His record is pretty remarkable should you remove his shenanigans-laden debut tour - since Misbah became captain, he's scored 1500 runs at 54.

He reminds me a bit of a young cook, which suggests that at some point or other he is likely to have poor runs and look shaky against top bowling. But as with Cook, that neededn't be that much of a barrier to prolonged success.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Reckon he'll be the type of guy who has his teams that he loads up against, and has some that he can't buy a run against.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Reckon he'll be the type of guy who has his teams that he loads up against, and has some that he can't buy a run against.
why would you say that.

Don't think he has weakness to to any particular type of bowling may not score bucketful outside sub cont but then not many sub cont batsman do. Looks to a very solid temperament when you consider the amount of times he stands up in a clutch situation.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
why would you say that.

Don't think he has weakness to to any particular type of bowling may not score bucketful outside sub cont but then not many sub cont batsman do. Looks to a very solid temperament when you consider the amount of times he stands up in a clutch situation.
More that he'll have his good series and his poor ones, because of the way he plays if he's a little bit off, then he will make lower scores because he isn't the most natural of stroke makers. And the way things work out, it could well be against the same team, some part of that may be coincidence, some part not.

Think he'll have a good career, but I guess you can have less confidence in saying that about a Pakistani player than most other nations!

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Looks great in flat/spin pitches of SC and WI(oops)..Looked great in swing conditions of Eng/NZ..Let us see what he does in the bounce of Aus and the Bounce and Swing of SA..As of now he has ticked all the right boxes

Psycho Macaque

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I like Azhar - good cricketer - decent enough technique, he's tidied it up a bit. Plays inside the line better, he was having problems playing away from his body. He seems to have a really good range of shots as well, but tempers his natural aggression nicely. I actually reckon his leg spin is handy and he's a really good fielder. Don't think he likes bounce much, so he may struggle in Eng/Aus/SA. It'll be interesting to see...

smash84

The Tiger King
really like Azhar Ali....seems to be a half decent find from Pakistan after a long long time.....

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
He's really impressed me so far. He came into the side when the Pakistani batsmen were playing lose shots regularly and throwing their wickets away, so I don't think his low strike rate is a problem, more a good think if anything. I was first impressed with him when South Africa toured the UAE and he got a few runs against Steyn, Morkel and co.

I would like to see more of him in South Africa, Australia and England though. I know he's toured England before but I'd like to see him get to do it again as, like Howe said, his last tour there was hardly the most successful tour and was plagued with controversy by the end.

Xuhaib

International Coach
don't think Azhar was that bad in hus debut it was a summer when all batsman barring Trott struggled and that included the likes og KP,Cook, Yousuf, Ponting and Azhar was still instrumental in the two test wins we had that tour. He showed a lot of grit and good attitude throughout and has carried on well from that point..

Cricketismylife

U19 12th Man
Really like both him and Shafiq...I always predicted good things from both of them and remember posting so before the England series. What is strange is how disinterested some Pakistani fans seemed with them, whereas I always saw talent in both.

Azhar is mentally very strong even if he has 1 or 2 technical issues, he's learning how to make it count once he gets in. He's essential to Pakistan in the next decade, and the best test batsman they have produced since Younis Khan.

Shafiq I believe to be even better than Azhar in terms of talent. He doesn't have to face the new ball as much as Azhar, but he has a wider shot range, as is very stylish. Seems to play spin well, and is ok against pace provided he can overcome his habit of opening the face.

Both of these guys need to continue piling up the runs at home, and once they have become big scorers in the next year or 2 they can start turning their attention to scoring runs around the world.