• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

retractable roofs

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
Why does this not seem to be considered for cricket? especially in England where millions are lost due to the weather and where the roof at wimbledon is such a big success?

they are not necessarily that expensive.

Spark

Global Moderator
there's a bit of a difference between putting a roof on a tennis court and putting one on a full-sized established cricket ground.

ajdude

International Coach
every cricket match to be played at etihad stadium, form a queue please

that is the docklands one, not the manchester one

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
I dont mean roofs like those in melbourne, cardiff or elsewhere but bright white ones such as at wimbledon. You could play real red-ball cricket at night.

there's a bit of a difference between putting a roof on a tennis court and putting one on a full-sized established cricket ground.
Of course but its hardly impossible. I know of a football stadium that got such a roof simply made of a white fabric at a cost of just £ 10m. Thats probably less than the losses suffered in english cricket just during the last two months. ( and put in a contxt, lords are considering a £ 400m development)

but yes, on some established grounds it will probably be difficult to fit a roof.

Stumpcam

U19 Captain
Today, McKay was out when he skied a ball very, very high. With a roof on the stadium the ball would have hit the roof and surely that would make a catch much harder - and the authorities would probably rule any such catch as dead ball anyway.

Nice idea - but not workable IMO.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Leaving aside the argument about whether it's possible, rooves tend to homogenise conditions. Some of the best games of cricket happen when they're rain-affected. I mean, if it's the difference between having a game and not (ODI's, for example), I can see the rationale, but scope-creep will inevitably happen, any hint of moisture and the roof will be closed. Boring.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, just thought the same thing.

As for roofs on cricket grounds...why don't we save ourselves the expense of fitting a massive roof on a ground by going the other way and downsizing the grounds so we can play inside a family-sized tent?

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
I dont think it really matters, whether a very rare ball might hit the roof

Leaving aside the argument about whether it's possible, rooves tend to homogenise conditions. Some of the best games of cricket happen when they're rain-affected. I mean, if it's the difference between having a game and not (ODI's, for example), I can see the rationale, but scope-creep will inevitably happen, any hint of moisture and the roof will be closed. Boring.
well, the wimbledon womens final just had a short rain break and they didnt close the roof. You would just need strict regulations as to how and when the roof is used. Cricket already has two breaks during a day, it would be possibly to open and closing the roof according to conditions. I dont think it will homogenise conditions.

ITs true that rain-affected games can be good but more than a few tests are completly ruined by rain and at the same time other tests are simply too long if there is no rain at all. We would not need five days if there were no risk of rain. Under a roof, I would play the game over three days as used to be the case in the days where there no need for the poor shortened versions

You may be right, though, that it would benefit ODIs more than tests... I am having second thoughts.

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
more practical and realistic than roofs would perhaps be better ground covers and more flexible regulations of play.

Yesterday at the oval, the players were off for well over two hours even though it only rained for something like 30 mins. first because of tea, then the rain, then the ground was wet. Surely if you can have an early lunch, you can have a late tea. When there is rain around, delay the breaks. (within reason) And it also seems strange that the whole of the ground cant be covered. I seem to remember that english grounds once had ways of doing that. but apparently no more..

It may seem pedantic but it needs to be taken seriously. Lots of people left the ground yesterday before the final session. I doubt they were happy, missing a third of the days play having bought expensive tickets. They could have waited but then had the break been just a few minutes longer they would have waited several hours for nothing.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
more practical and realistic than roofs would perhaps be better ground covers and more flexible regulations of play. .
Don't give up on your point bro.

I think roofs have merit. NZ has a rugby stadium with a roof. Stadium - Forsyth Barr Stadium

It is 37 metres above the playing field. Which was deemed enough for an up and under to be kicked and not touch the roof.

flibbertyjibber

more practical and realistic than roofs would perhaps be better ground covers and more flexible regulations of play.

Yesterday at the oval, the players were off for well over two hours even though it only rained for something like 30 mins. first because of tea, then the rain, then the ground was wet. Surely if you can have an early lunch, you can have a late tea. When there is rain around, delay the breaks. (within reason) And it also seems strange that the whole of the ground cant be covered. I seem to remember that english grounds once had ways of doing that. but apparently no more..

It may seem pedantic but it needs to be taken seriously. Lots of people left the ground yesterday before the final session. I doubt they were happy, missing a third of the days play having bought expensive tickets. They could have waited but then had the break been just a few minutes longer they would have waited several hours for nothing.
Edgbaston used to have the Brumbrella which covered the entire outfield, only trouble was it kept breaking down. I am sure that technology has moved on though and something could be done as it is bloody annyoing.

Andre

International Regular
Problem with the roof was safety. Due to the roof the corners of the ground couldn't dry properly and were permanently damp, meaning outfielding was hazardous. Until that gets sorted it's a bit of a no go.

benchmark00

Problem with the roof was safety. Due to the roof the corners of the ground couldn't dry properly and were permanently damp, meaning outfielding was hazardous. Until that gets sorted it's a bit of a no go.
Nah, they use massive heat lamps at all major grounds now, including Etihad stadium.