• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help!!! Lack of form

charlie142

Cricket Spectator
Hi I'm a young cricketer in dire form!!! I've played 5 games this season and only top scored 10 so far :wacko:

I find myself getting very nervous out in the crease even for a friendly Sunday 2XI's game. It makes me stiff and i dont move my feet much :( I am still a Colt and I open the batting for my age group and havent done well for them either

What I would like help with is
trigger movements what should mine be and how do I find it??
Spin bowling!!! I got a golden duck last match for the colts when they opened with a spinner :blink:
and is there anything i can do at home to improve my cricket due to the terrible weather conditions!!

Any help would be really nice thanks!!!

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Don't overcomplicate. See ball - hit ball. And keep your head steady. You'll be ok.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Dude , do these 3 things
1) Calm yourself down before you go to bat by listening to music, watching a comedy show or something
2) Play straight for few overs.. try taking a single and go over to the other end.
3) Watch the ball closely Play late not so easy but try it . This might help you even if you feel stiff and not move your feet initially.

also one more thing you can do is try batting 1st or 2nd down and that might help calm your nerves. Suggest to ur skippy if he is ok with that.

Last but not the least GOOD LUCK :)

Last edited:

charlie142

Cricket Spectator
Dude , do these 3 things
1) Calm yourself down before you go to bat by listening to music, watching a comedy show or something
2) Play straight for few overs.. try taking a single and go over to the other end.
3) Watch the ball closely Play late not so easy but try it . This might help you even if you feel stiff and not move your feet initially.

also one more thing you can do is try batting 1st or 2nd down and that might help calm your nerves. Suggest to ur skippy if he is ok with that.

Last but not the least GOOD LUCK :)
Thanks I shall try!!! Colts games are 20 overs so i always end up thinking about keeping the scoreboard ticking but I'll try taking it slow maybe thats all it is!!

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Thanks I shall try!!! Colts games are 20 overs so i always end up thinking about keeping the scoreboard ticking but I'll try taking it slow maybe thats all it is!!
Rather than worrying about scoring too much, set yourself to bat for 20 overs. The runs will happen.

Best thing you can do is push the ball around and rotate the strike. Stops you getting frustrated and means the opposition don't get chirpy.

Good luck.

Jager

International Debutant
From the sounds of it, your problem is mental. You need to realise that everyone has runs of 'poor form', but you can dig yourself out of it by playing positively and backing your own instincts. Get into a routine at the crease - after each ball, do something distinct that allows you to relax. Perhaps wandering behind your stumps and loosening up. It might look strange, but if you're genuinely concerned about your scoring, then it is worth it. Don't think about the game situation, think about something else. When you take guard again, refocus completely. Use another signature movement to signify that you are concentrating - I myself loosen all of my shoulders and tap my bat twice on the ground behind my back foot - then raise your head and watch the ball.

Technique wise, if you're worried about a lack of foot movement, you could try walking down and slightly across the pitch when the keeper is standing back, Denis Compton style. As long as you're covering your stumps, you are unlikely so go out - too far out of your crease to be LBW and you can't be bowled unless you play away from your body and you get an inside edge onto your stumps. If the ball is not near your body, it becomes simple to leave, and if the ball is towards your body and pitched up/of good length, you can play off your pads. I find that playing off my pads this way comes naturally, so accumulating becomes easier since you're playing more instinctive and simple shots. Your feet will start to work naturally after some time doing this.

charlie142

Cricket Spectator
From the sounds of it, your problem is mental. You need to realise that everyone has runs of 'poor form', but you can dig yourself out of it by playing positively and backing your own instincts. Get into a routine at the crease - after each ball, do something distinct that allows you to relax. Perhaps wandering behind your stumps and loosening up. It might look strange, but if you're genuinely concerned about your scoring, then it is worth it. Don't think about the game situation, think about something else. When you take guard again, refocus completely. Use another signature movement to signify that you are concentrating - I myself loosen all of my shoulders and tap my bat twice on the ground behind my back foot - then raise your head and watch the ball.

Technique wise, if you're worried about a lack of foot movement, you could try walking down and slightly across the pitch when the keeper is standing back, Denis Compton style. As long as you're covering your stumps, you are unlikely so go out - too far out of your crease to be LBW and you can't be bowled unless you play away from your body and you get an inside edge onto your stumps. If the ball is not near your body, it becomes simple to leave, and if the ball is towards your body and pitched up/of good length, you can play off your pads. I find that playing off my pads this way comes naturally, so accumulating becomes easier since you're playing more instinctive and simple shots. Your feet will start to work naturally after some time doing this.
I agree with what your saying I will defiantly try calming down!! Partly blame the lack of nets due to the horrible weather in the UK recently :S I'll work out a routine and I'll stick to it even if it doesnt go well next match. The Denis Compton style sounds interesting and I'll defiantly give that a try!! thanks for the advice got a game soon will post how i get on hopefully i wont get nervous and lose my head tough opponents so a tough game!