Simple enough question really.
1. He goes big often
2. Once set, he rarely disappoints
3. Team man, and when you consider that he has been wicket keeping for a good part of his Test career it makes his achievements even more remarkable. It is probable that he would be averaging in the 60s had he not been keeping earlier in his career
4. That cover drive!
5. He loves caning Pakistan ;-)
1. Rarely if ever completely dominates and demoralises an attack like Lara or even Ponting (on certain tracks and in certain ideal conditions) could do
2. He does have the overseas performance drop-off that is quite common with SL batters, but to a less pronounced extent. Fact is he has produced outstanding performances everywhere, but has perhaps not performed as consistently as he might have done in certain countries
3. Comparative dearth of wow innings such as Lara's 153* in Barbados vs Aus. But then again he is a different kind of player and should not be judged by those standards. Also, he is in good company as batsmen as highly-regarded as Tendulkar and Kallis also fall a little short for me in this regard.
All in all for me Sangakkara is the best around and has been since Lara retired, and will be remembered as an ATG for sure. What do you guys think?
It should be understood that I am solely concerned with Tests and anyone interested in discussing the shorter formats can take their comments to a new improved thread.