• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Sanga?

• Total voters

Spark

Global Moderator
There was a spell in 05-06 when you flat out could not get him out. Probably the highest standard of batsmanship over several years that I've seen.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting between March 2002 and Dec 2006 :

53 Matches, 6004 runs, 24 hundreds, 20 fifties. Avg: 75.05 Hundreds against Bang/Zim : 2 :p

I mean, that comes out to 115 runs per match !!!!!. utterly ridiculous :laugh:

Around 2006-07, there were tons of my friends who were hardcore Tendulkar fans of the worst kind who were flat out terrified Ponting would leave tendulkar for dead in the century count. Then, when it all went to **** for Ponting after that, they initially were delighted, but by the end of his career, even some of the worst ones admitted to being slightly disappointed Ponting didn't continue like that for longer.

91Jmay

International Coach
Tendulkar fans really are embarrasing. He was obviously one of the best ever, a genius but to pretend he was loads better than Ricky Ponting is a joke. Ponting also captained his team which for many players negatively effects their average (including Tendulkar), a job Tendulkar wasn't good enought to do for his team.

Flem274*

123/5
Nah you can't use captaincy as an excuse. It inspires a lot of players to go on to greater things too.

Ponting batted at three and bullied any bowling attack you threw at him. When you think of Australian batting domination post-Waugh you think of Ricky Ponting. That's why he's a boss.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Tendulkar fans really are embarrasing. He was obviously one of the best ever, a genius but to pretend he was loads better than Ricky Ponting is a joke. Ponting also captained his team which for many players negatively effects their average (including Tendulkar), a job Tendulkar wasn't good enought to do for his team.
Weren't you telling me somewhere else that Matthews is riding the 'captaincy wave' or something to that effect earlier :p

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
It is naughty because he described it as a short term phenomenon, not an overall trend

Yeah he has no doubt been playing very well, but not World team quality yet. More proven players ahead of him at the moment, he is also riding the captaincy wave which can happen right at the start, I'd be shocked if he maintains a career average above 50. Would expect it to be around 48 most the time.

Last edited:

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
The much bigger problem for me is lumping together Ponting with Lara and Tendulkar as if they share a tier. Very few who saw them bat across their careers would do so. .
When it comes to separating them, I have already ranked Ponting below other two earlier in this same thread. I was lumping him with Sachin/Lara when making comparison with Dravid/Kallis.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Excellent post, this. Especially the bits in bold.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
When it comes to separating them, I have already ranked Ponting below other two earlier in this same thread. I was lumping him with Sachin/Lara when making comparison with Dravid/Kallis.
Apologies, hadn't seen (or possibly forgot about) your earlier post.

vinayita

Cricket Spectator
Hello all.I am follower of India and I love to see players of India on crease.But I am big fan of Sanga .He is a great player.He put all his efforts while playing for his team.He had played many rocking innings.

91Jmay

International Coach
Excellent post, this. Especially the bits in bold.
Spelling mistakes? Great argument champ, didn't you mention something about not posting on here anymore?

Yeah, as Max pointed out I said that clearly its an obeserved trend that captains often play inspired early on (Mathews has done way more than that tbf, its been going on far longer than normal) and then can tail off.

91Jmay

International Coach
The **** are you talking about? I was being sincere you moron.
You hightlighted two spelling mistakes in a very average post? Unless you actually thought I was correct (might be the first time that's ever happend on this forum) in which case I withdraw my remarks and apologise unreservedly. You are clearly and enlightend poster who should stick around permenantly :ph34r:

watson

Banned
You hightlighted two spelling mistakes in a very average post? Unless you actually thought I was correct (might be the first time that's ever happend on this forum) in which case I withdraw my remarks and apologise unreservedly. You are clearly and enlightend poster who should stick around permenantly :ph34r:
Something is not quite right here. Especially the bits in bold.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I hadn't even noticed the mistakes tbh. I just thought the post was great. The bits in bold I particularly enjoyed as they largely resemble my own views.

91Jmay

International Coach
Then I most certainly apologise, anyone who agrees with me is automatically my friend.

But in all seriousness that was a juvenile response regardless of whether you were serious or not (sort of my MO) so apols.