• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Sanga?

• Total voters

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting is a better bat that Kallis, never though there was much doubt about that. Kallis the cricketer though wins out though when you factor in Ponting's captaincy and fielding (especially in the slips) its closer than most think.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Sour cream and sweet chilli is good as well.

(mostly trying to get my post count up here to see what happens to my title when I get to 300 posts!)

Flem274*

123/5
Well, surely it's not about that. It's about who are likely contenders for the ATG team - Sanga, whilst great, is probably nowhere near.
This is why I hate discussing great players on CW.

"Nowhere near" lol.Unbelievable. I point out to you some great innings and you say wah wah its not about that. That is exactly what it's about.

Now look, I saw Ponting play quite a lot and while he is an incredible batsman, he wasn't hitting cover drives whilst doing back flips then walking to lunch barefoot in a blizzard.

Sangakkara has about ten million runs at an average nearing the stratosphere. True, Bradman is on Pluto but you may as well compare Tendulkar with James Marshall because that's the gap between Bradman and the closest batsman to him, whoever it is.

You know who doesn't care about this argument? Sangakkara, because he is too busy batting like a boss then going home to lots and lots of *** to care about whether the internet or some old bloke in a commentary booth can decide whether his record speaks for itself or not.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
This is why I hate discussing great players on CW.

"Nowhere near" lol.Unbelievable. I point out to you some great innings and you say wah wah its not about that. That is exactly what it's about.

Now look, I saw Ponting play quite a lot and while he is an incredible batsman, he wasn't hitting cover drives whilst doing back flips then walking to lunch barefoot in a blizzard.

Sangakkara has about ten million runs at an average nearing the stratosphere. True, Bradman is on Pluto but you may as well compare Tendulkar with James Marshall because that's the gap between Bradman and the closest batsman to him, whoever it is.
:laugh:

sometimes Phlegm is definitely sig worthy

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah I wouldn't call England's attack back then the best but it was pretty good.;)

Averages less against SL for some reason than Aus and England.
=Murali. Kallis has nothing to be ashamed of getting out to best spinner in test history.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Someone said India isn't the litmus test for batsmen. I'm sorry, what? Australia barely won a series in India during their heyday. It isn't about the quality of bowlers that India has, it's how they generally thrive in home conditions.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
There is none, when Cricinfo did their AT XI Warne got the max votes along with Sobers and Bradman, Murali has a serious disparity btwn his home numbers on his made to order pitches and hiw away numbers. Murali also made quite a bit of hay vs the minnows of our time. Murali great and top three yes, in Warne's league, not quite.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Someone said India isn't the litmus test for batsmen. I'm sorry, what? Australia barely won a series in India during their heyday. It isn't about the quality of bowlers that India has, it's how they generally thrive in home conditions.
Big whoop.

The litmus test of a good batsman is how they handle quality pace bowling, something a touring team to India won't find.

Australia in their heyday went 15 years unbeaten at home. India have yet to win a series in Australia. Your argument has no basis in reality.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
And they wonder why everyone laughs at Indian cricket fans.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Big whoop.

The litmus test of a good batsman is how they handle quality pace bowling, something a touring team to India won't find.

Australia in their heyday went 15 years unbeaten at home. India have yet to win a series in Australia. Your argument has no basis in reality.
So we're completely ruling out one facet of bowling then? Is this earnest prep for the shellacking you guys are due to receive here?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
So we're completely ruling out one facet of bowling then? Is this earnest prep for the shellacking you guys are due to receive here?
Yep. You don't need to be a good player of spin to be a good batsman. If you can't play pace bowling, you won't survive except in countries where they're yet to properly figure out what pace bowling is.