• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Sanga?

• Total voters

viriya

International Captain
Wonder if a 60+ average at retirement is realistic. Surely he will have a bad patch before he retires even if he gets there.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Seems like the hunger is still there though, would surprise me if he retired before 2016 looking at his form, fitness and overall attitude. Some tough tours to NZ and India and a possible home series against Aus if he goes on another 2 years from now, he'll end up over 55 but under 60 IMO

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
Wonder if a 60+ average at retirement is realistic. Surely he will have a bad patch before he retires even if he gets there.
You would have thought so but the more I see of him the more I doubt that will be the case. If you remember Dravid's struggles towards towards the end they were mostly a function of a deterioration of his footwork. Prime Dravid had the most fantastic footwork for me after Lara. Against swing and seam in particular he was very positive and twinkle toed to get to the pitch of the ball or get into the best position to defend. When that went he really struggled and he ended up getting clean bowled time and again by bowlers who previously had rarely troubled him.

With Sanga it seems there is less to go wrong as his footwork has never been so spectacular and his technique is now so simple and compact. With age he seems to have gained an even greater understanding of his game and what he's trying to do out there so my best guess is that as long as he stays in the great physical shape he is in presently he will continue to push on and probably will end up averaging just over 60.

DingDong

State Captain
Seems like the hunger is still there though, would surprise me if he retired before 2016 looking at his form, fitness and overall attitude. Some tough tours to NZ and India and a possible home series against Aus if he goes on another 2 years from now, he'll end up over 55 but under 60 IMO
he should definitely end up with an average of over 55. for it to drop below 55 he'd probably have to average something like 25 for 2 years or something. just cant see him hanging on like tendulkar if that's the case

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Not this bollocks again. There is absolutely no way anyone can say that he wouldn't average 100 in this era because the bloke was just that good.
We have gone through this. Better fielding and better tactics itself will drag down averages of any old timer by 10%-15%. Not to mention the overall standard of bowling have improved too, except few freaks who would have been un believable in any era.

Riggins

International Captain
We have gone through this. Better fielding and better tactics itself will drag down averages of any old timer by 10%-15%. Not to mention the overall standard of bowling have improved too, except few freaks who would have been un believable in any era.
Yeah those cricketing freaks would have dragged down Bradman for sure.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pitches are better to bat on though. All swings and roundabouts.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree to an extent. Things that have changed which will not balance out are the better fielding and tactices.

cnerd123

likes this
Can you point me to where this has been discussed and been proven to be the case?

I can't imagine the tactics being used by MSD and Cook now are any better than anything back in the Don's era. Not to mention the Don had uncovered pitches, no helmets, smaller bats. And he was the best of his Era in terms of talent and determination, there is no reason to believe he wouldn't have been the best of this current Era. Humans aren't being born with more talent or more determination to work hard and do well. He would have grown up with modern facilities, coaching structures, better physical training.

Anyone who can say with any certainty the a player from a totally different era can perform better OR worse in another era is bonkers. You aren't picking them up at their peak in that era and dropping them into another one. If he was a modern player he would have grown up in the modern era and his game would have developed and grown accordingly. And if he was the top 1% of his era, then it is safe to say he would have been top 1% in this one. Same if you threw guys like Steyn, Sachin, Warne back into the 1940s. You can't say with any certainty than they would have been better or worse. They would have been different, but still amongst the best to have graced the game and would have dominated the game while they played.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Yeah, Maximas is a known Sanga hater isn't he? :laugh:
What's next? Maximas despises Herath? Jono is a Kohli hater?
Actions speak louder than words. I swear Jono shows up at the ground with 11 voodoo dolls and a set of pins when it's India playing. It's time we saw through his act on CW.

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
Not this bollocks again. There is absolutely no way anyone can say that he wouldn't average 100 in this era because the bloke was just that good.
Fielding of all sides have become drastically better. You could argue that ATG batsmen will adjust to any era to face different bowling but it will be stretch to claim that better fielding doesn't stop batsmen to score less. You will get less runs for your shots on average and you will also get out more often due to fielding being better. I will say that all batsmen would have averaged less. Yes, Badman would have been still the best but no where near 100 avg in modern era. I am not talking about standard set by Aus or SA here. Pretty much every one has gotten much better.

Also, if you get 1 truly great player among 5K cricket players in entire planet then he is likely to stand out by larger margin. When you have 20 great players among 10M cricket players in entire planet then it's not possible for anyone to stand out by the same margin. It will never happen with cricket being played by so many folks in all kinds of different conditions. You could still get some one who can stand out but not by 40 run margin. Badman is the best batsman in my opinion but sticking to that 100 avg as basis of him averaging the same in current era seems far fetched to me. Cricket has evolved out of few elite( some normal folks too in Aus/Eng) playing in 2-3 countries to kids playing in large numbers in many countries.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Also, if you get 1 truly great player among 5K cricket players in entire planet then he is likely to stand out by larger margin. When you have 20 great players among 10M cricket players in entire planet then it's not possible for anyone to stand out by the same margin. It will never happen with cricket being played by so many folks in all kinds of different conditions. You could still get some one who can stand out but not by 40 run margin.
I love how this stupid debate always ends up with the other side essentially saying Bradman couldn't have been that good because, you know there's no way anyone can be that good.

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's like the chucking thread, every now and again some asshole comes by and gives the same 2 cents other ****s gave about 5 pages ago before they were put in their place, unless you're Blocky, and certain statistics are worth repeating every single time Sanga passes 50.
On-the-other-hand, the prevailing dogma always deserves to be challenged by heretics as a matter of principle.
Problem is nothing has changed with his knock against Pakistan. It wasn't on some rank turner to be really discussed and he has always scored heavily against Pakistan. Nothing new in this knock which goes against prevailing dogma. He could play 5 more knocks like this on the same pitch against same Pakistani attack but quoting them will not change anyone's opinion. It has nothing to do with what was being discussed earlier.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

And when are people going to learn that everything about cricket, since the last 100 years has always evened out. Better fielding balanced out by better bats, more variety in conditions balanced out by better protective equipment, everything always evens out. Why do you think all great bowlers average 20-30 and all great batsmen average 50-60? Discuss all you want, there's just no point.