• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Sanga?

• Total voters

Jassy

Banned
Ah the cherry picking brigade again. Let us ignore the fact that he was a top order bat just because we don't like it. Do you know what Michael Clarke averages when he didn't field at slips or what Ricky Ponting did when he didn't field at short leg? Or maybe our resident troll CWB can tell us what ABD averages when he keeps....he has lots of free time now that KP has retired anyway :sleep:

If pointing out that Rahane is about to have as many 50 plus series outside the subcontinent already as Sanga has had in his entire career is trolling then okay!

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
If it's not subcontinental pitches it's 'dead' overseas pitches, fmd, then again, NZ 2006 was pretty flat

Jassy

Banned
If it's not subcontinental pitches it's 'dead' overseas pitches, fmd, then again, NZ 2006 was pretty flat
No, nor will you ever hear me say that. Those 2 knocks were the best Sanga has played IMO and those were not flat pitches. I agree for sure but that was 2006. Phil Hughes got 2 tons in a match vs Steyn and co, Sehwag played a blinder vs Pollock and Ntini in his first test and that was in SA...the fact is Sanga has not been consistent enough. He has 3 series in 14 outside the SC where he averages 50 plus (that is counting Hobart test as a series, the recent England one and the NZ one)....a bloke like Rahane is about to have 3 in 3!

Just consider this...Kohli currently has 3 centuries outside the SC...has had a brilliant series in SA(not dissimilar to Sanga in 2006) and a brilliant one in NZ. If he abysmally fails here and never plays a test again outside the SC but gets 5 tons each in Pak and SL will he go down as an ATG? Serious question.

Contrary to what people think, I don't think Sanga sucks....no cricketer can score that many runs or take a lot of wickets at international level without having talent. I just don't think Sanga as a batsman is as good as Tendulkar or Lara or Ponting...or even dravid and Kallis. He is a tier below that IMO in the class of Mohammad Yousuf, Sehwag, Jayawardene etc.

Flem274*

123/5
No, nor will you ever hear me say that. Those 2 knocks were the best Sanga has played IMO and those were not flat pitches. I agree for sure but that was 2006. Phil Hughes got 2 tons in a match vs Steyn and co, Sehwag played a blinder vs Pollock and Ntini in his first test and that was in SA...the fact is Sanga has not been consistent enough. He has 3 series in 14 outside the SC where he averages 50 plus (that is counting Hobart test as a series, the recent England one and the NZ one)....a bloke like Rahane is about to have 3 in 3!

Just consider this...Kohli currently has 3 centuries outside the SC...has had a brilliant series in SA(not dissimilar to Sanga in 2006) and a brilliant one in NZ. If he abysmally fails here and never plays a test again outside the SC but gets 5 tons each in Pak and SL will he go down as an ATG? Serious question.

Contrary to what people think, I don't think Sanga sucks....no cricketer can score that many runs or take a lot of wickets at international level without having talent. I just don't think Sanga as a batsman is as good as Tendulkar or Lara or Ponting...or even dravid and Kallis. He is a tier below that IMO in the class of Mohammad Yousuf, Sehwag, Jayawardene etc.
Maybe if he scored that ton in the first test and not on the afternoon of day 5 with no chance of a result...

Those other two tons were superb though.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Consider this, runs outside the SC are not the be all end all, Sanga in the same class as Jayawardene is highly disputable as well, he is at the very least between that class and the Dravid/Kallis class, IMO he is on par with them two and below Lara/Tendulkar, I'm not certain where Ponting fits in.

Jassy

Banned
Maybe if he scored that ton in the first test and not on the afternoon of day 5 with no chance of a result...
And yet when I made a point about Sanga in England the last time he got that ton and his ton in India when SL had no hope in hell .....btw I meant brilliant series not just the ton in isolation

Last edited:

Jassy

Banned
Consider this, runs outside the SC are not the be all end all, Sanga in the same class as Jayawardene is highly disputable as well, he is at the very least between that class and the Dravid/Kallis class, IMO he is on par with them two and below Lara/Tendulkar, I'm not certain where Ponting fits in.
That is fair enough mate, butt he thing is Sanga's case, SC is just home and Pakistan/UAE. It isn't like he has dominated India in India either. People are quick to point out Ponting's record in India when he arguably faced better Indian attacks in India, particularly spin.

Jassy

Banned
And at least update your sig man :p
Well some mod will have to do it because I am in a bit of a hurry ATM. Will change it soon enough anyway, enough Sanga now. I think Ajmal deserves it more. Spin track bully :ph34r: Herath is the best in the world ATM. :cool:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
That is fair enough mate, butt he thing is Sanga's case, SC is just home and Pakistan/UAE. It isn't like he has dominated India in India either. People are quick to point out Ponting's record in India when he arguably faced better Indian attacks in India, particularly spin.
Perhaps, although personally I don't find an average of 36 from 6 matches to be a particularly compelling statistic to argue anything really, would be interesting to see him tour there in the near future, won't happen unfortunately.

Well some mod will have to do it because I am in a bit of a hurry ATM. Will change it soon enough anyway, enough Sanga now. I think Ajmal deserves it more. Spin track bully :ph34r: Herath is the best in the world ATM. :cool:
Now you're talking

akilana

International 12th Man
Post a link to your writings. Will definitely read when time permits.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know about you guys but I'm not going to pretend that the fact that Sanga has had so few good overseas series isn't a factor when rating him. It's still partly due to lack of opportunity because I'm pretty sure most ATG batsmen have one or two great tours of a country to pump up their average there. Fact is, Sanga has had few truly great overseas tours... NZ 2006 and this England one are probably the only two that qualify. Compare that to how many times Sachin dominated in Australia, Lara in Sri Lanka, Dravid in England, etc and it's just not impressive enough. It's not the be all and end all, but I honestly found the fact that Rahane now has about as many good series overseas as Sanga quite hilarious and telling.(Not sure if it's actually true.. Anyone to confirm?)
ATG batsman but he's just not done it overseas as much as a guy of his stature should. Blame it on scheduling/lack of opportunities like I do or on him being an HTB like Jassy does. Either way, it's not something which should be brushed aside as trolling .

Last edited:

Jassy

Banned
I don't know about you guys but I'm not going to pretend that the fact that Sanga has had so few good overseas series isn't a factor when rating him. It's still partly due to lack of opportunity because I'm pretty sure most ATG batsmen have one or two great tours of a country to pump up their average there. Fact us, Sanga has had few truly great overseas tours... NZ 2006 and this England one are probably the only two that qualify. Compare that to how many times Sachin dominated in Australia, Lara in Sri Lanka, Dravid in England, etc and it's just not impressive enough. It's not the be all and end all, but I honestly found the fact that Rahane now has about as many good series overseas as Sanga quite hilarious and telling.(Not sure if it's actually true.. Anyone to confirm?)
ATG batsman but he's just not done it overseas as much as a guy of his stature should. Blame it on scheduling/lack of opportunities like I do or on him being an HTB like Jassy does. Either way, it's not something which should be brushed aside as trolling .
Rahane averaged 50+ in SA and 50+ in NZ, that is 2 tours. If he ends up averaging 50+ here, that will make it 3. Sanga also has 3 - NZ 2006, England 2014 and that Hobart test. I would find it easier to rate him higher if his Australia average was over a big sample size with 3 hundreds or something. From the top of my head at one point, Sehwag averaged high 50s in Aus (2 tons), just shy of 40 in England with a ton, crap averages in NZ and SA(with a ton and a series with an average of 50), 50+ in WI with a ton (IIRC) and he absolutely gunned it in SL and Pak (multiple tons in both places...Sanga only managed to dominate Pak, so Sehwag even in the SC is more complete) and people would scoff if you even dared to call him an ATG

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
tbf Rahane looks like something seriously special. Like "could be better than Pujara and Kohli" special.

The guy can seriously bat, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a Hussey-like early run over the next 2-3 years.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Tendulkar | Lara
Ponting
Sangakkara
Dravid | Kallis

Just my opinion of course.