Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: How good is Sanga?

Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    He's incredibly ****ing good, but in a kind of robotic way. I'm not at all tempted to look up and watch Sangakkarra 100s on Rob's channel like with someone like Lara, put it that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacknife View Post
    I know exactly what you mean.
    This is incredibly surprising to me.

I understand he isn't as exciting as Lara, but he's far more fluent and stylish than some of his other contemporary run making machines, and that probably includes current-day Tendulkar as well.

Each to their own though for sure, but just quite surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post

I understand he isn't as exciting as Lara, but he's far more fluent and stylish than some of his other contemporary run making machines, and that probably includes current-day Tendulkar as well.

haha... yeah he's not exciting like Lara has elegance of Mahela or even has the dominance of KP but him and Clarke of current players are two players who combines the right mix of all 3 things.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    some pretty silly stuff being thrown about him that he isn't ATG
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    some pretty silly stuff being thrown about him that he isn't ATG
    I think it comes down to how people define an ATG player. I'm not exactly a Sanga fan and I think he's being overrated a bit in this thread but he probably makes my list. Having said that, I understand that some people may use stricter criteria when determining who would have ATG status.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    can you please elaborate on the "stricter criteria". Otherwise I might as well club you together with the silly crowd

Sangi is imo among the top 5 to come out of sub cont so surely an ATG for me.

Sachin is # 1 then its Sunny G, Dravid, Miandad and Sanga in no particular order..

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    can you please elaborate on the "stricter criteria". Otherwise I might as well club you together with the silly crowd
    Criteria would defer from person to person, I thought my post already indicated that. Make whatever club you want to, see if I care.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    If he were from a more fashionable/active side he would be worshipped at churches dedicated to him.

As it stands, people barely remember Sri Lanka play cricket.

Easily an all time great. There is nothing he hasn't done numbers wise and the only detractors are those suffering from an intense case of crippling nostalgia. Fortunately, if he people remember Sri Lanka play cricket in twenty years, the nostalgia will work in his favour.

But somehow I doubt it.

As for where he stands amongst the other great batsmen, who cares? Beyond Bradman, no one has ever won an argument ever for the order beyond it. Some people even debate number 1 when he averages 99.94...
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post

Can see why others do but he's never been a batman that I love watching and I've never gone back to watch his innings over again, like I have say with Viv or KP, like you say each to their own.

State Vice-Captain
    An average of 35 or below in India, SA, and Eng hardly catapults him to undisputed ATG status. By weight of runs, sure..but that's a huge gap in his achievements. I don't even find him aesthetically pleasing, much less so than his compatriot run machine.
    Last edited by Arachnodouche; 09-07-2012 at 04:28 AM.

His average in India is meaningless. India isn't the acid test of a batsman's ability (and an average of 35 isn't exactly terrible either).

His average in England and South Africa can be taken with a pinch of salt, Sri Lanka's tours to both nations throughout his career have been extremely infrequent.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    How well did he do today finally when the bowlers had something to work with?

Great batsman, best from Sri Lanka, just dont think that he is ATG material, ATG means that he is in the top tier elite, ranking with Richards, Tendulkar, Lara, Chappell, Sobers ect. Do we really believe that he has acomplished what they have?
    That's not analysis....
    "In 2009 he lost his old, faded India cap, when it was stolen from a ground. He was very, very upset about it. It was dear to him and he was extremely proud to wear it."

Vijeeta Dravid on her husband Rahul, March 2012

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Sanga isn't in the echelons that the true greats move in. He likes to dine out on a dead track. But in terms of his stature amongst his contemporaries he's a great. As someone has mentioned, he bats incredibly fluently and has a beautiful range of strokes - hardly what I'd call boring to watch.

most exciting batsman after lara. find him more elegant than mahela.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by akilana View Post
    most exciting batsman after lara. find him more elegant than mahela.
    I'm not sure I'd go that far. In form there are quite a few I'd prefer to watch than him. But that's not to his detriment.
    Last edited by Psycho Macaque; 09-07-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information