• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Sanga?

• Total voters

viriya

International Captain
Could it be that the 2000s just had a bunch of great batsmen instead of bowling standards being low? It's not like great batsmen are supposed to show up at the same rate every decade..
On the knocks vs Murali.. 2 of the 3 are pre-1998 - when Murali was nothing like the bowler he was in the 2000s.. but that's just nit-picking of course.

viriya

International Captain
It's because he's the typical "best since Bradman" batsman, so for Sanga to claim that, he would have to at least match or surpass him..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Sanga is competing for the #3 position, it's obvious why he doesn't make the list.. but I myself would have him replacing Gilchrist as the wicket-keeper in my all-time XI.
Doesn't stop anyone picking Viv Richards...

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Additionally - and I realise I've gone on about this before - but in cricketing terms "Asia" comprises five countries occupying an area of more than 4 million square kilometres and with nearly 100 different international grounds. Could we please stop referring to it as though it's one small place with a handful of uniform pitches and conditions?

akilana

International 12th Man
Did you think for, like, longer than ten seconds before posting this? How is this a refutation of the point at all?
your typical rubbish insults aside, how do you become used to a condition? How did Sanga become used to his SL conditions? He wasn't born with it certainly. Playing a lot in those conditions is how he got used to.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Additionally - and I realise I've gone on about this before - but in cricketing terms "Asia" comprises five countries occupying an area of more than 4 million square kilometres and with nearly 100 different international grounds. Could we please stop referring to it as though it's one small place with a handful of uniform pitches and conditions?
Inclined to agree. But generally speaking, conditions across the SC are going to have similarities and are going to pose similar types of challenges to the players. While other cricketing nations like England, West Indies, Australia, South Africa, are all bound to be vastly different to each other because they're all on different ends of the planet.

Honestly, while Asia isn't obviously one flat road, the conditions don't vary as much as say, between Australia and England. That's why it's generally taken as one large entity. Not that it should be, mind.

Last edited:

akilana

International 12th Man
Nah I don't know how you guys don't get this. Less tests away means that even if you don't do well, your overall average won't be affected at all because it's a very small sample of matches. Even if Sanga had clobbered runs at 60+ outside SC, his average wouldn't really improve that much. That's how few he's played.

The point is not that he's a poor batsman overseas, it's just that his average has been helped by playing more in known conditions. Can't see the argument against this.
Sorry I did not realize you meant overall average in your initial post. I was thinking averages in those alien conditions. Your point is valid but that cannot be a criticism against Sanga. Maybe playing more in alien conditions means they will cease to be alien conditions. He quickly adapted to some conditions like Australia, NZ etc so playing more there will make up for the lack of runs in other conditions.

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
Could it be that the 2000s just had a bunch of great batsmen instead of bowling standards being low? It's not like great batsmen are supposed to show up at the same rate every decade..
Theoretically possible but I won't bracket 19 batsmen as bunch of greats. I have seen all of them so this statement has nothing to do with any stats.

indiaholic

International Captain
Seen enough of both decades to know that the 90s were on an average tougher to bat in. Having said that I think Tendulkar not being able to cash in in the 2000s is something that should be held more strongly against him.

cricmahanty

School Boy/Girl Captain
Was recently reading an article somewhere about how Sri Lanka are always seen as the' lesser' team of the two touring parties in a season, in places like England and Australia. For those who used his less than par average in England (prior to this series) against him, it's a fair point that most of the tests he has played in England have been in the early summer months of May and June. Statistics say that there's a fair surge in the general batting averages in England as one moves from the months of May/June to the more sunnier months of July/August.

There's also this thing about batsmen, particularly the Subcontinent ones, preferring to bat with a warm sun at their backs.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Sachin doing well in the 90s is a fact but him being outstanding against those greats bowlers of the 90s is a bit of a myth. He averaged in the mid 30s against Donald, Akram and Waqar. I think he destroyed McGrath less Australian attacks a few times in 90s but cannot remember him doing well against McGrath in 90s or after in tests. He had a couple of fifties against Ambrose though.
2edgy4me

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Well as far as lefties go he is probably

Sobers
Lara
Border
Pollock
Sangakkara
Chanderpaul
Harvey
Lloyd