• Tendulkar

18 62.07%
  • Sanga

11 37.93%
Page 20 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
Like Tree318Likes

Thread: How good is Sanga?

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    I think Sangakkara as a pure bat is somewhere between the (Ponting, Kallis) class and the (Dravid, Waugh) class, actually tilting more towards (Ponting, Kallis). Needs something slightly more special to lift him to that plane.

Think this is a good time to revive this thread about Sanga the Test batsman..

Changes since the end of 2012:
    - Highest average of any batsmen since 2013 (a ridiculous 90.50)
    - Gone into overdrive recently with 7 consecutive 50s with the possibility of breaking the record in the next innings
    - "Fixed" his England record. Now5 he averages 40+ vs all opposition he has faced
    - Fastest to 8000, 9000, 10000, 11000 runs (and almost certainly will get fastest to 12000)
    - Test 300+ innings
    - Closer to his 60+ average than ever (every possibility of retiring at that level).

So... best since Bradman? It doesn't seem that ridiculous a claim anymore..
    Last edited by viriya; 25-06-2014 at 09:06 AM.
    cricrate - the home of cricket ratings

International 12th Man
    I'd put him as the best since Bradman. He plays well in all conditions, he scores fluently, he scores highly, he's gotten better as time has gone on and he hasn't really failed against any opposition - all the while scoring a much higher runs per test than most batsmen do too.

International 12th Man
    His stats when not keeping are pretty incredible

76 matches, 8376 runs (breaking the 100 runs per test mark that most struggle to do) - 80.38 average, 29 centuries and 37 half centuries from 132 innings - i.e he makes a score every second innings.

2000-2014 76 132 13 8376 319 70.38 15244 54.94 29 37 5 982 37

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Somewhere between very very and exceptionally, IMO

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Belongs in the Second greatest argument. Has had good series in virtually all countries he's played in, can attack and defend equally well aand is currently in the most amazing sustained period of run getting ever. We all go gaga over Ponting and Sobers averaging 70+ over 50 odd games, this bloke Averages the same amount over his last 80 odd matches. Ridiculous.

I think he needed a good series here to really push him up to that very top tier, at least in my eyes, and he's predictably delivered. If he ends up with 60+, then wow .

School Boy/Girl Captain
    he's a hard one to rate for a few reasons, his batting stats as a pure batsman coincide specifically with his peak so the beginning part of his career isn't on it which is often a lower point in a batsman's career, in saying that the beginning part of his career coincided with his keeping and the keeping generally has a negative affect on ones batting so it could potentially also negatively affect ones ultimate outcome as he had to focus on keeping as well as batting during the early stages which took time away from his batting during vital developmental years.

in saying all that the fact he can still average near 60 even when you include his 48 matches he kept wicket is spectacular and the fact that he averages over 70 as a pure batsman from 76 matches in awesome. in 7 of the 11 countries he's played he averages 60+, in 8 of them it's 50+, in 10 it's 40+.only one does he average less than 40 as a pure bat and that's in RSA where he averages 37.2. as a pure bat he averages over 75 in 5 countries.

he's equal 2nd with lara for most number of double tons, he has the equal record for consecutive 50+ scores in test innings, he's achieved the triple ton, he's one of only 7 players to score a double ton and a ton in the same match and out of those blokes he's one of 2 to score a triple ton and ton in the same match, and he's got a hundred in both innings of a test match twice.

his downfall is that it's hard to take his pure batting stats for a couple of reasons, the first i mentioned above where it coincides with his peak years, he doesn't have the earlier part of his career and 2nd is that although he's done well everywhere as a pure batsman he's barely played anywhere but SL. he's played 39 matches in SL as a pure bat, UAE is the next highest amount at 6 matches.

he's an awesome batsman, my favourite batsman of current times. at least on the kallis, dravid level if not higher with ponting, lara and tendulkar.
    Last edited by Gowza; 25-06-2014 at 04:05 AM.
    hendrix likes this.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    He's a victim of SL having **** test scheduling.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    He's a victim of SL having **** test scheduling.
    Or has the relative lack of Tests allowed him to prepare better for the games he played and avoid burnout and drops in form associated with playing more?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Or has the relative lack of Tests allowed him to prepare better for the games he played and avoid burnout and drops in form associated with playing more?
    I think he still plays a lot of cricket though doesn't he? Just the wrong kind.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Yeah, Sri Lanka seem to be playing a new bilateral ODI series every second Wednesday.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    As far as Asian batsmen go I think he has a very good shout to be better than everyone bar Tendulkar.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Could make a case over Tendulkar tbh. Wouldn't agree with it, but it's not preposterous to claim he's as good.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Not really, given what Daemon points out and given that SL rarely have an extended opportunity to acclimatise to unusual conditions as a result
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Gowza View Post
    he's a hard one to rate for a few reasons, his batting stats as a pure batsman coincide specifically with his peak so the beginning part of his career isn't on it which is often a lower point in a batsman's career, in saying that the beginning part of his career coincided with his keeping and the keeping generally has a negative affect on ones batting so it could potentially also negatively affect ones ultimate outcome as he had to focus on keeping as well as batting during the early stages which took time away from his batting during vital developmental years.

in saying all that the fact he can still average near 60 even when you include his 48 matches he kept wicket is spectacular and the fact that he averages over 70 as a pure batsman from 76 matches in awesome. in 7 of the 11 countries he's played he averages 60+, in 8 of them it's 50+, in 10 it's 40+.only one does he average less than 40 as a pure bat and that's in RSA where he averages 37.2. as a pure bat he averages over 75 in 5 countries.

he's equal 2nd with lara for most number of double tons, he has the equal record for consecutive 50+ scores in test innings, he's achieved the triple ton, he's one of only 7 players to score a double ton and a ton in the same match and out of those blokes he's one of 2 to score a triple ton and ton in the same match, and he's got a hundred in both innings of a test match twice.

his downfall is that it's hard to take his pure batting stats for a couple of reasons, the first i mentioned above where it coincides with his peak years, he doesn't have the earlier part of his career and 2nd is that although he's done well everywhere as a pure batsman he's barely played anywhere but SL. he's played 39 matches in SL as a pure bat, UAE is the next highest amount at 6 matches.

he's an awesome batsman, my favourite batsman of current times. at least on the kallis, dravid level if not higher with ponting, lara and tendulkar.
    I don't think it makes a lot of sense to separate his keeping and pure batting stats.. I think he just got better and better and even if he kept keeping his record would be relatively similar now. I would just focus on the overall record which is pretty much incomparable now (albeit at a peak of course).

Page 20 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread Information