• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Sanga?

• Total voters

Spark

Global Moderator
They were slippers as well as fielders, though, not makeshift slippers just because they were good fielders. The most obvious Australian examples I can think of are Symonds and Clarke (though Clarke is much better nowadays), and lately Watson.

Of course, some people are just absolute freaks (MWaugh, ABdV)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
They were slippers as well as fielders, though, not makeshift slippers just because they were good fielders. The most obvious Australian examples I can think of are Symonds and Clarke (though Clarke is much better nowadays), and lately Watson.

Of course, some people are just absolute freaks (MWaugh, ABdV)
True. I reckon Symonds would have made a great slipper in a similar way to Viv (I cant recall Symonds ever being in the slips, but he may have been), and I reckon Watson is a pretty crap fielder whether he is in the cordon or the ring or the outfield. He has no flexibility, and no gracefulness. Just robotic.

Spark

Global Moderator
Symonds was in the slips for a few Tests, and dropped about as many as he caught. Was bad.

Watson's a good ring fielder tbh. Excellent hands.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sorry guys, but to digress once again to my fav pet peeve, Cook's drop cost England a century by Pieterson today, and highlights the importance of having a settled and excellent cordon.Everyone will drop one from time to time (though he somewhat made up for it soon after with a blinder) but that one was a sitter that any regular slipper should have taken.
That's all well and good but what do they do if the regular isn't there for whatever reason, leave a gap?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Bell and Cook has been tried in the slips to less than stellar results recently, while everyone is saying how good Trott is and he is a specilaist. Additionally don't over react and drop one of your most important players after one bad match, he is important to the lower order batting, his slip fielding and of course his bowling, Finn for Bresnam would have made more sense.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Sangakkara as a pure bat is somewhere between the (Ponting, Kallis) class and the (Dravid, Waugh) class, actually tilting more towards (Ponting, Kallis). Needs something slightly more special to lift him to that plane.

viriya

International Captain
Think this is a good time to revive this thread about Sanga the Test batsman..

Changes since the end of 2012:
- Highest average of any batsmen since 2013 (a ridiculous 90.50)
- Gone into overdrive recently with 7 consecutive 50s with the possibility of breaking the record in the next innings
- "Fixed" his England record. Now5 he averages 40+ vs all opposition he has faced
- Fastest to 8000, 9000, 10000, 11000 runs (and almost certainly will get fastest to 12000)
- Test 300+ innings
- Closer to his 60+ average than ever (every possibility of retiring at that level).

So... best since Bradman? It doesn't seem that ridiculous a claim anymore..

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
I'd put him as the best since Bradman. He plays well in all conditions, he scores fluently, he scores highly, he's gotten better as time has gone on and he hasn't really failed against any opposition - all the while scoring a much higher runs per test than most batsmen do too.

Blocky

Banned
His stats when not keeping are pretty incredible

76 matches, 8376 runs (breaking the 100 runs per test mark that most struggle to do) - 80.38 average, 29 centuries and 37 half centuries from 132 innings - i.e he makes a score every second innings.

2000-2014 76 132 13 8376 319 70.38 15244 54.94 29 37 5 982 37

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Belongs in the Second greatest argument. Has had good series in virtually all countries he's played in, can attack and defend equally well aand is currently in the most amazing sustained period of run getting ever. We all go gaga over Ponting and Sobers averaging 70+ over 50 odd games, this bloke Averages the same amount over his last 80 odd matches. Ridiculous.

I think he needed a good series here to really push him up to that very top tier, at least in my eyes, and he's predictably delivered. If he ends up with 60+, then wow .

Gowza

U19 12th Man
he's a hard one to rate for a few reasons, his batting stats as a pure batsman coincide specifically with his peak so the beginning part of his career isn't on it which is often a lower point in a batsman's career, in saying that the beginning part of his career coincided with his keeping and the keeping generally has a negative affect on ones batting so it could potentially also negatively affect ones ultimate outcome as he had to focus on keeping as well as batting during the early stages which took time away from his batting during vital developmental years.

in saying all that the fact he can still average near 60 even when you include his 48 matches he kept wicket is spectacular and the fact that he averages over 70 as a pure batsman from 76 matches in awesome. in 7 of the 11 countries he's played he averages 60+, in 8 of them it's 50+, in 10 it's 40+.only one does he average less than 40 as a pure bat and that's in RSA where he averages 37.2. as a pure bat he averages over 75 in 5 countries.

he's equal 2nd with lara for most number of double tons, he has the equal record for consecutive 50+ scores in test innings, he's achieved the triple ton, he's one of only 7 players to score a double ton and a ton in the same match and out of those blokes he's one of 2 to score a triple ton and ton in the same match, and he's got a hundred in both innings of a test match twice.

his downfall is that it's hard to take his pure batting stats for a couple of reasons, the first i mentioned above where it coincides with his peak years, he doesn't have the earlier part of his career and 2nd is that although he's done well everywhere as a pure batsman he's barely played anywhere but SL. he's played 39 matches in SL as a pure bat, UAE is the next highest amount at 6 matches.

he's an awesome batsman, my favourite batsman of current times. at least on the kallis, dravid level if not higher with ponting, lara and tendulkar.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Or has the relative lack of Tests allowed him to prepare better for the games he played and avoid burnout and drops in form associated with playing more?
I think he still plays a lot of cricket though doesn't he? Just the wrong kind.

smash84

The Tiger King
As far as Asian batsmen go I think he has a very good shout to be better than everyone bar Tendulkar.

Spark

Global Moderator
Or has the relative lack of Tests allowed him to prepare better for the games he played and avoid burnout and drops in form associated with playing more?
Not really, given what Daemon points out and given that SL rarely have an extended opportunity to acclimatise to unusual conditions as a result

viriya

International Captain
he's a hard one to rate for a few reasons, his batting stats as a pure batsman coincide specifically with his peak so the beginning part of his career isn't on it which is often a lower point in a batsman's career, in saying that the beginning part of his career coincided with his keeping and the keeping generally has a negative affect on ones batting so it could potentially also negatively affect ones ultimate outcome as he had to focus on keeping as well as batting during the early stages which took time away from his batting during vital developmental years.

in saying all that the fact he can still average near 60 even when you include his 48 matches he kept wicket is spectacular and the fact that he averages over 70 as a pure batsman from 76 matches in awesome. in 7 of the 11 countries he's played he averages 60+, in 8 of them it's 50+, in 10 it's 40+.only one does he average less than 40 as a pure bat and that's in RSA where he averages 37.2. as a pure bat he averages over 75 in 5 countries.

he's equal 2nd with lara for most number of double tons, he has the equal record for consecutive 50+ scores in test innings, he's achieved the triple ton, he's one of only 7 players to score a double ton and a ton in the same match and out of those blokes he's one of 2 to score a triple ton and ton in the same match, and he's got a hundred in both innings of a test match twice.

his downfall is that it's hard to take his pure batting stats for a couple of reasons, the first i mentioned above where it coincides with his peak years, he doesn't have the earlier part of his career and 2nd is that although he's done well everywhere as a pure batsman he's barely played anywhere but SL. he's played 39 matches in SL as a pure bat, UAE is the next highest amount at 6 matches.

he's an awesome batsman, my favourite batsman of current times. at least on the kallis, dravid level if not higher with ponting, lara and tendulkar.
I don't think it makes a lot of sense to separate his keeping and pure batting stats.. I think he just got better and better and even if he kept keeping his record would be relatively similar now. I would just focus on the overall record which is pretty much incomparable now (albeit at a peak of course).