• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best bowling actions

Langeveldt

Soutie
So most of the worlds great bowlers are great because of their bowling actions... Here are my favourites

PACE - Allan Donald :D (Lovely Rhythm)

Glenn McGrath, Brett Lee, Shoaib Akhtar (power)

SPIN - Shane Warne, Ray Price,

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Daniel Vettori's action is always raved about by the commentators.

I think Tuffey has a good action too, quite a smooth action & I doubt he'll ever get too many back problems.

masterblaster

International Captain
I always have liked Donald's action, McGrath comes to mind, I always liked Akram's action as well.

My list:

McGrath
Donald
Lee
Akram
Tuffey
Warne
Srinath
Agarkar (he does have a nice, smooth action)

Im sure there are many, many more i just cant think of right now.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Jason Gillespie also has a very good action these days. though all the australian quicks have pretty good actions, very low strain (reletivleyalot of research has gone into fast bowling actions out here and still is. Brett Lee and Gillespie have changed their actions quite significantly since the start of their careers.

other good ones have already been mentioned such as McGrath, Akram and Donald

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I prefer the smooth, vintage actions such as:

Brett Lee
Shoaib
Jermaine Lawson
James Kirtley
Mutiah Muralitharan

The classics are the best. ;)

Craig

World Traveller
Tim said:
Daniel Vettori's action is always raved about by the commentators.

I think Tuffey has a good action too, quite a smooth action & I doubt he'll ever get too many back problems.
Though he does lean/fall away and Jacob Oram's pretty good and Andrew Flintoff's not too bad although he does have plenty of groin porblems.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Brett Lee that dam underachever.

He must have close to the perfect action for a fast bowler besides the fact he does not deliver the ball form a high enough angle.

I mean it's quite close to perfect he always manages to get the seam in a perfect possition, gets nice and close to the stumps and has a very smooth and tidy run up and delivery stride.
Looking at his action makes you wonder why he bowls so much crap somtimes.

I dont beleve he lacks accuracy just a brain.

Jason Gillespie has a nice action now days as well. much shorter run up but even with his short run up his speed's when fully fit are low to mid 140's

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I prefer the smooth, vintage actions such as:

Brett Lee
Shoaib
Jermaine Lawson
James Kirtley
Mutiah Muralitharan

The classics are the best. ;)
Amazing how 4 of those 'classic' actions have been called chucking at some stage of the players careers.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Jeff Thomson

He bowled faster than anyone with an action that did not produce any injury for the fellow. The fact that he didn't know where the ball was going is immaterial.

I also like Michael Holding's action.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im not being bias when I say this, but to me Hadlee was the ultimate technician. He cut his run-up short in the mid 1980's & basically made an art of the 'bowling action'.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Michael Holding
Lance Gibbs
Glenn McGrath
Shaun Pollock
David Tebrugge
Curtley Ambrose
Shane Warne
Justin Langer:D
Jason Gillespie

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
furious_ged said:
Amazing how 4 of those 'classic' actions have been called chucking at some stage of the players careers.
Hmm, I wonder if Liam was having a laugh? :rolleyes:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Sarcasm is a skill. :D
With you I sometimes get confused between what is wilful sarcasm, and what is you posting what you think to be the truth after a few joints... ;)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
hourn said:
Lee's action and run up is just fantastic. The rythym he gets into is superb.
As is his hyper-extending elbow which is the same problem Kirtley and Shoaib has. Gives the impression he's chucking. Still, when he strains for extra pace his action becomes ragged.