• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So uhh, is Inverarity happy with Australia's batting depth or not?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Same press conference:

Australia's chief national selector John Inverarity says he's happy with the next batch of batsmen putting pressure on Australia's Test top six ahead of next year's Ashes tour.

Inverarity happy with Aussie batting depth

AUSTRALIA'S chief selector, John Inverarity, admits he is dissatisfied with the depth in the country's batting stocks, conceding George Bailey, Peter Forrest and veteran David Hussey are ''the best we've got'' outside the Test team.

Batting depth not up to scratch: Inverarity

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The sooner they make Khawaja a permanent player in the test team the better imo.
We need someone rock solid, and he has the best technique. Tell the kid he's in the team for 12 months, and that he can make the spot his.

Hughes- never say never, but never again

Bailey- ok, but very similar to Clarke

I don't know who else to go for tbh. Quiney is kind of older. Voges doesn't seem popular in the international set up. D. Hussey: sure, but he's not young. Cooper? Christian? The cupboard is pretty bare, which is why Ponting and Hussey should stick around a bit longer.

imo we need to look at the following for tests:

1. Khawaja (I like Cowan, but hmmm)
2. Warner
3. Watson
4. Ponting (Bailey to replace when the time comes)
5. Clarke
6. M. Hussey (same as Ponting
7. Wade/Paine (Haddin told to retire gracefully)
8. Pattinson
9. Siddle
10. Hilfenhaus
11. Lyon

Cummins, Starc etc hanging around.

M.Johnson never to play tests again unless selected as a middle order batsman.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just because Khawaja is a lousy OD/T20 player doesn't mean he has a great technique. He doesn't. He's kinda not really good against the moving ball. Bowl short to him and he'll kill you, put a swinging ball into him and hitting the stumps? well...

(Although Usman isn't really a lousy OD player)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Khawaja's biggest issue is getting squared up off the back foot. It allows him to pull and hook like a dream, but it's not an optimal position for defending off the back foot.

He needs to get a bit stronger down the ground, but it's not much different to an early era Justin Langer; he doesn't fall across as much as JL, but he doesn't get through his front leg as much as JL or other good players.

Spikey

You'd think, then, it'd be really super that our batting coach is one Justin Langer...but nope. Not super at all.

Red

Just because Khawaja is a lousy OD/T20 player doesn't mean he has a great technique. He doesn't. He's kinda not really good against the moving ball. Bowl short to him and he'll kill you, put a swinging ball into him and hitting the stumps? well...

(Although Usman isn't really a lousy OD player)
I didn't say anything about him being a lousy OD/T20 player. But he does have a nice technique. He also has weaknesses, like most players, but from what's available I think he is the most likely by far.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bit of a strangler to my eyes, Khawaja. Probably why he doesn't score too many straight down the ground.

Mind you a bottom hand fetish hasn't harmed Fat Gray's career too much.

If Dussey is still in the frame, why not Rogers too? Similar age, has actually played test cricket and has scored two tons and a 98 in his last three FC games.

Red

Bit of a strangler to my eyes, Khawaja. Probably why he doesn't score too many straight down the ground.

Mind you a bottom hand fetish hasn't harmed Fat Gray's career too much.

If Dussey is still in the frame, why not Rogers too? Similar age, has actually played test cricket and has scored two tons and a 98 in his last three FC games.
I think that Rogers should have been opening for us since Hayden retired.

Mitch Johnson stuffed everything up with Aus selection when we had to pick Watson as a batsman to cover Johnson as a bowler. Nothing's been right with the batsmen since then.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Ferguson anyone????? What did he do to get dropped???? Got injured, then got fit and not heard of again. ODI record for Aus is pretty good, he and Voges must be unlucky to not be there.

Jager

International Debutant
Global warming AND the carbon tax

#blameMitch
:laugh:

Ferguson anyone????? What did he do to get dropped???? Got injured, then got fit and not heard of again. ODI record for Aus is pretty good, he and Voges must be unlucky to not be there.
I find it tough to select people for tests based on their ODI record or ODD performances. Entirely different game. Khawaja looks solid enough, I wouldn't be surprised if his problems were primarily mental.

Debris

International 12th Man
Ferguson yes, Voges absolutely not.

It has been more poor talent identification that anything else. And I would like to pump up Nic Maddinson who looks a gun player.

morgieb

Our batting depth is **** atm, though some of our younger players look the goods.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Don't see how it is "talent ID" that us the issue. Most of the guys playing state cricket as batsmen have been outstanding juniors and have since shown themselves capable at state level, they just haven't been able to string consecutive seasons together.

For all the talk about county cricket and greater teams, the counties all have similar situations, mature batsmen don't enter the county system. Unless they are overseas first class players.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think that Rogers should have been opening for us since Hayden retired.

Mitch Johnson stuffed everything up with Aus selection when we had to pick Watson as a batsman to cover Johnson as a bowler. Nothing's been right with the batsmen since then.
Notice how it's gone wrong since that ponce Watson became a regular.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
The other thing with Khawaja is that he's an absolute liability in the field. Hughes is also a poor fielder. I think they both need to improve their fielding substantially before they can come back to the national team.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think Khawaja's fielding isn't that bad, he's not great, but reasonable. I must admit that Cowan has fielded very well throughout his 7 Tests.

I can't wait for this domestic season as its a huge season for about 12 or so batsman to perform early on in the year and just demand selection for Australia in Tests or ODIs.