• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Front-on bowling taking over

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I've always been under the impression that people consider side-on bowling to be the classical norm and ideal, with front-on being the exception, but that doesn't seem to be the case these days. Bowlers such as Lee, Steyn, Morkel, Broad, Anderson, Pattinson, Cummins, Harris, and countless others (both old and new) all have fairly front on bowling styles.

Just a mundane random observation. Any thoughts?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Believe it's been heavily promoted at all levels in Australia for a while now as less of an injury-risk, making quick bowling more about big muscles and levers than smaller ones and joints.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
There aren't many side on bowlers around nowadays, not like the classical days of Lindwall and Miller etc.

In Australia we have Siddle (full front on), Hilf (front on), Cummins and Pattinson (front on), Lee (half and half). Mitch Johnson is the only real side on bowler around the set-up.

Jager

International Debutant
There aren't many side on bowlers around nowadays, not like the classical days of Lindwall and Miller etc.

In Australia we have Siddle (full front on), Hilf (front on), Cummins and Pattinson (front on), Lee (half and half). Mitch Johnson is the only real side on bowler around the set-up.
Says something about side-on bowling :ph34r:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
^yeah, that the one side on bowler among the bunch, as crap as he can be, is by far the fittest of the lot. Modern thinking :ph34r:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think front on bowling must contribute to injury. When you look at old footage of guys like Lindwall, he was so smooth through the crease, and he had that draaaaaaag of his back foot in delivery stride, everything was fluent, his whole body seemed to flow through the delivery without as much impact as modern front on techniques.

Today, everything is forced through the front foot on delivery after a jump into the crease. I remember reading once about the amount of weight that goes through the front leg in a front on quick bowler's delivery stride. Can't remember the specifics, but it was a lot of kgs.

Top_Cat

Without checking, was under the impression Lindy had his fair share of injuries?

Think the biomechanical position is that front-on actions might give you more twinges but you're more likely to be bowling near your quickest past 30 than someone who has a predominantly side-on action. Think modern quicks like Lee, still bowling 90+ at 35 bear that out.

Spikey

Believe it's been heavily promoted at all levels in Australia for a while now as less of an injury-risk, making quick bowling more about big muscles and levers than smaller ones and joints.
working out well

smash84

The Tiger King
I think front on bowling must contribute to injury. When you look at old footage of guys like Lindwall, he was so smooth through the crease, and he had that draaaaaaag of his back foot in delivery stride, everything was fluent, his whole body seemed to flow through the delivery without as much impact as modern front on techniques.

Today, everything is forced through the front foot on delivery after a jump into the crease. I remember reading once about the amount of weight that goes through the front leg in a front on quick bowler's delivery stride. Can't remember the specifics, but it was a lot of kgs.
I would think along these lines.....side on looks so much smoother

jan

State Vice-Captain
Only heard about the side-on and front-on techniques and googled a few vids.
Which technique do Steyn and Anderson use?