Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: Front-on bowling taking over

  1. #1
    Cricketer Of The Year wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Obscure reference
    Posts
    7,796

    Front-on bowling taking over

    I've always been under the impression that people consider side-on bowling to be the classical norm and ideal, with front-on being the exception, but that doesn't seem to be the case these days. Bowlers such as Lee, Steyn, Morkel, Broad, Anderson, Pattinson, Cummins, Harris, and countless others (both old and new) all have fairly front on bowling styles.

    Just a mundane random observation. Any thoughts?
    Exit pursuing a beer

  2. #2
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Marburg, Germany
    Posts
    23,589
    Believe it's been heavily promoted at all levels in Australia for a while now as less of an injury-risk, making quick bowling more about big muscles and levers than smaller ones and joints.

  3. #3
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    6,135
    There aren't many side on bowlers around nowadays, not like the classical days of Lindwall and Miller etc.

    In Australia we have Siddle (full front on), Hilf (front on), Cummins and Pattinson (front on), Lee (half and half). Mitch Johnson is the only real side on bowler around the set-up.

  4. #4
    International Debutant Jager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The land of Siddle
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    There aren't many side on bowlers around nowadays, not like the classical days of Lindwall and Miller etc.

    In Australia we have Siddle (full front on), Hilf (front on), Cummins and Pattinson (front on), Lee (half and half). Mitch Johnson is the only real side on bowler around the set-up.
    Says something about side-on bowling
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick


  5. #5
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    8,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Says something about side-on bowling
    Yeah, that Peter Siddle and Ben Hilfenhaus are better bowlers than Keith Miller
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quotes of the Year:
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoitsyou View Post
    All hail KW, GOAT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.
    *These quotes may read differently out of context

  6. #6
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    1,076
    ^yeah, that the one side on bowler among the bunch, as crap as he can be, is by far the fittest of the lot. Modern thinking

  7. #7
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    6,135
    I think front on bowling must contribute to injury. When you look at old footage of guys like Lindwall, he was so smooth through the crease, and he had that draaaaaaag of his back foot in delivery stride, everything was fluent, his whole body seemed to flow through the delivery without as much impact as modern front on techniques.

    Today, everything is forced through the front foot on delivery after a jump into the crease. I remember reading once about the amount of weight that goes through the front leg in a front on quick bowler's delivery stride. Can't remember the specifics, but it was a lot of kgs.

  8. #8
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Marburg, Germany
    Posts
    23,589
    Without checking, was under the impression Lindy had his fair share of injuries?

    Think the biomechanical position is that front-on actions might give you more twinges but you're more likely to be bowling near your quickest past 30 than someone who has a predominantly side-on action. Think modern quicks like Lee, still bowling 90+ at 35 bear that out.

  9. #9
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    36,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Believe it's been heavily promoted at all levels in Australia for a while now as less of an injury-risk, making quick bowling more about big muscles and levers than smaller ones and joints.
    working out well
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...cricket-legacy

    Brad McNamara ‏@bbuzzmc
    Will say this once and then nothing else. Defamation laws quite clear in Aus.be careful.

  10. #10
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Marburg, Germany
    Posts
    23,589
    Fast bowling hurts.

    #Revelations

  11. #11
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    24,017
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  12. #12
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    24,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I think front on bowling must contribute to injury. When you look at old footage of guys like Lindwall, he was so smooth through the crease, and he had that draaaaaaag of his back foot in delivery stride, everything was fluent, his whole body seemed to flow through the delivery without as much impact as modern front on techniques.

    Today, everything is forced through the front foot on delivery after a jump into the crease. I remember reading once about the amount of weight that goes through the front leg in a front on quick bowler's delivery stride. Can't remember the specifics, but it was a lot of kgs.
    I would think along these lines.....side on looks so much smoother

  13. #13
    Cricketer Of The Year wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Obscure reference
    Posts
    7,796
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    I would think along these lines.....side on looks so much smoother
    Michael Holding disagrees

  14. #14
    jan
    jan is online now
    State Regular jan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    city of a 100 spires
    Posts
    989
    Only heard about the side-on and front-on techniques and googled a few vids.
    Which technique do Steyn and Anderson use?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Darn, at his age, I didn't know one needed to insert and ejaculate manship in womanship to create childship!
    enthusiasm > skill, max two wides per over!

  15. #15
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    24,017
    front on John Snow


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Where should i improve
    By ash chaulk in forum Battrick
    Replies: 408
    Last Post: 05-06-2008, 05:59 AM
  2. Archived [10/08/07] Battrick
    By PY in forum Battrick
    Replies: 8536
    Last Post: 10-08-2007, 01:59 AM
  3. my team
    By bugssy in forum Battrick
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 18-04-2007, 06:00 AM
  4. Archived [18/10/06] : Battrick
    By DJellett in forum Battrick
    Replies: 10623
    Last Post: 17-10-2006, 12:20 PM
  5. Club Cricket 9-10 Results
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Offseason Club Cricket
    Replies: 964
    Last Post: 27-04-2006, 03:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •