• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Draft League - The Reserves

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I was looking to pick up Bland as my 12th Man. Looks like I'm screwed when I play you guys then, with his propensity to run people out, and Compton's propensity to run his teammates out..

Valer

First Class Debutant
1 Les Ames (Wk)
2 Eddie Barlow (VC) (6)
3 Wally Hammond (7)
4 Frank Worrell (C)
5 Eddie Paynter
6 George Headly
7 Aubrey Faulkner (5)
8 Bill Lockwood (2)
9 Fred Trueman (1)
10 Bill O'Reilly (4)
11 Bill Johnston (3)

Jackson a gun pick. Will be interesting to see how many Aussies are selected eventually- I'd imagine lots more than any other nation
Eng 5
SA 2
WI 2
Aus 2

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
i was looking to pick up bland as my 12th man. Looks like i'm screwed when i play you guys then, with his propensity to run people out, and compton's propensity to run his teammates out..
:)

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hobbs
Hutton
Nourse
McCabe
Jessop
Goddard
Waite
Verity
Tayfield
Lohmann
Barnes

Good side on paper, but I wish it had better balance.

Valer

First Class Debutant
1 Les Ames (Wk)
2 Eddie Barlow (VC) (6)
3 Wally Hammond (7)
4 Frank Worrell (C)
5 Eddie Paynter (Back up Wk)
6 George Headly
7 Aubrey Faulkner (5)
8 Bill Lockwood (2)
9 Fred Trueman (1)
10 Bill O'Reilly (4)
11 Bill Johnston (3)

12 Aurthur Morris

See below, crtl f was failing me. Will pick again soon.

Last edited:

Valer

First Class Debutant
Aurthur Morris then.

I can also drop a bowler quite easily if the pitch merits it.

1 Les Ames (Wk)
2 Eddie Barlow (VC) (5)
3 Wally Hammond (6)
4 Aurthur Morris
5 Frank Worrell (C)
6 Eddie Paynter (Back up Wk)
7 George Headly
8 Aubrey Faulkner (4)
9 Bill Lockwood (2)
10 Fred Trueman (1)
11 Bill O'Reilly (3)

12 Bill Johnston

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
It's often said that the best English all-rounder was a Yorkshireman who batted with his right hand, and bowler with his left. That's as specific as it gets, as there is almost nothing to split Messrs Rhodes and Hirst.

Rhodes played 1110 county games; Hirst 826. They both averaged above 30 with the bat (Hirst slightly higher, at 34), and under 20 with the ball (Rhodes significantly so, at 14 runs per wicket). Both had strong Test careers, however neither have the statistics to represent their respective talents. Statistics do not do these men justice.

Rhodes was, contrary to the figures, never really a true all rounder - his batting statistics are brought down by time spend focusing solely on bowling, while his bowling figures suffer slightly by the time spent as a pure batsman. And yet he still only fell fractionally short of a 40 000 run, 4 000 wicket double - a feat that surely will never be matched. And yet he still did the 1 000/100 double on sixteen separate occasions.

Hirst achieved this feat 14 times, and was plainly the better batsman than Rhodes. He was more naturally talented, whereas Rhodes worked extremely hard to mould himself into a batsman. His score of 341, made in 1905, is still a Yorkshire county record. He bowled slightly above medium pace, swinging the ball to dramatic effect - he is known as the father of modern seam and swing bowling - while compiling runs for fun with a strong back-foot game. Rumour has it that only a yorker would not be hooked or cut.

They are romantic characters from a romantic era, Rhodes, the left arm orthodox spinner who always tossed it up, tempting the batsman or beating him, whilst never dropping short, and the opening batsman who partnered Jack Hobbs with huge success; Hirst, the left arm seamer with incredible skill, often partnering Rhodes with ball in hand to skittle opposition teams (including Australia for 36), one of the most popular cricketers of all time - not just his own era.

So how do I split these two to come up with a definitive selection? The short answer is that I can't - for every benefit Rhodes has, Hirst has one to cancel it out. Rhodes' flexibility is neutered by Hirst's superior fielding (one of the greatest ever at mid on, a crucial position in his times). In hindsight, I should have selected both - however when it comes down to picking one, it has to be Wilfred Rhodes.

1. C.B. Fry (6)
  2. Denis Compton (8)
  3. Charlie Macartney (7)
  4. Everton Weekes
  5. Keith Miller [c] (4)
  6. Neil Harvey
  7. Mike Procter (3)
  8. Don Tallon [+]
  9. Bart King (1)
  10. Wilfred Rhodes (5)
  11. Harold Larwood (2)
12th Man: Subhash Gupte

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Round Eleven:
Monk - Colin Bland
Michael7777777 - KS Ranjitsinhji
rvd619323 - Don Tallon
Valer - Eddie Barlow
morgieb - Dudley Nourse

Round Twelve:
morgieb - Hugh Tayfield
Valer - Arthur Morris
rvd619323 - Wilfred Rhodes
Michael7777777 - George Giffen
Monk - Unaarrimin (Johnny Mullagah)

Last edited:

Valer

First Class Debutant
1 Les Ames (Wk)
2 Eddie Barlow (VC) (6)
3 Wally Hammond (7)
4 Frank Worrell (C)
5 Eddie Paynter (Back up Wk)
6 George Headly
7 Aubrey Faulkner (5)
8 Bill Lockwood (2)
9 Fred Trueman (1)
10 Bill O'Reilly (4)
11 Bill Johnston (3)

12 Aurthur Morris
To clarify, if I can't see the wicket prior to the match this is the prefered team. Very intrested in any comments (or ideas) on the batting order // squad selection.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
To clarify, if I can't see the wicket prior to the match this is the prefered team. Very intrested in any comments (or ideas) on the batting order // squad selection.
Sending Les Ames to open in One Dayers is a good move; Some changes in batting line up I would make-

1. Les Ames (rhb)
2. Arthur Morris (lhb)
3. Wally Hammond
4. George Headley
5. Frank Worrell
6. Eddie Paynter
7. Aubrey Faulkner
8. Bill Lockwood
9. Freddy Trueman
10. Bill O' Reilly
11. Bill Johnston

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
awta, I like your thinking AZH. 7 bowlers probably not necessary, Morris a superb ATG opener

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
I'll take George Giffen as my final selection, a good batsmann as well as a bowler so accurate that he was known to be able to leave ball marks (similar to footmarks) on even hard pitches by being able to land the ball in the same places repeatedly

Charter 77 final lineup

WG Grace
Barry Richards
Graeme Pollock
Kumar Shri Ranjitsinhji
John R Reid
Jack Gregory
Warwick Armstrong (*)
Denis Lindsay (+)
Learie Constantine
Clarrie Grimmett
Frederick Spofforth

12th man: George Giffen

Batting order subject to change depending on innings circumstance

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
My final selection is a bit left field, but I think it is someone who deserves recognition:

Unaarrimin- Johnny Mullagh: Was the finest batsman of the Aborigian XI that toured England in 1868.

Unaarrimin, known as Johnny Mullagh, part of the famous Australian Aborigine team which toured England in 1868, playing an eyebrow-raising total of 47 matches. A talented allrounder, Unaarrimin hit 1698 runs at an average of 23 and took 245 wickets at only 10 apiece. In 1869-70 he was appointed as a professional by the Melbourne Club but he returned home to Harrow (Victoria) after six games. In 1878-79 he appeared for Victoria against an England XI, scoring 4 and 36 - the latter was this side's top score and the 9,000 spectators collected £50 for him. He was a fierce advocate of Aboriginal rights, and refused to live on one of the state-controlled reserves. He lived in a rabbitter's shack, continuing to play cricket until a few months before his death in 1891, the day after his 50th birthday.

Mullagh is standing, second from right. The man at back with the cap on is Tom Wills, another Australian sporting hero.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
So that concludes the draft - I will post up a voting thread shortly; if you want to provide write-ups, place them in the new thread.